Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't have a picture of it right now, but the rear rotors on my 13 R/T have cracks in them. Will get pics for reference when I get back home, but in the meantime, any thoughts on what caused this?

It's more prevalent on the left side...

Potential causes I can come up with are:
Too much power? I am over 500 whp
Too big of a wheel/ offset? They do have the correct bolt pattern but are 11.5" wide
Too many high speed runs?
Too many burnouts (or just a couple bad wheel hopping ones)?

Also any recommendation for what to replace them with to prevent this happening again would be appreciated.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,286 Posts
where on the rotor are the crack located? around the hub? around the wheel stud area? edges?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Factory brakes. 36k on the odometer

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
Just taking a stab in the dark. Those ridges appear to be on the large side for rear brakes with 36K miles. As well the wear lines look a little deep. Is there some condition creating more heat than normal?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Looks to be too much heat. Don't have a frozen caliper do you? Speed, wheel offset or anything else you mentioned I don't see causing that.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
My WAG is the rotors wore out, became too thin, and there was just not enough metal mass to deal with the heat generated by braking probably from high speed.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you are doing brake stand burnouts on older rotors, this can be the cause. Excessive heat on thinner rotors.

Get some new rotors and a line lock and burn tires right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: EvilVOG

·
Registered
232 Posts
The ridges on the rotors look like the front rotors on my ‘13 RT. I was getting vibration on light to medium braking. 35,000 miles. Was pretty hectic on the one track day I went to. Other than that I don’t drive hard... at least I don’t brake hard.

I Mic’d them at the local auto parts to see if they could be turned but they were worn down thinner than the minimum that is stamped on the stock rotors.

I ended up replacing all four with stop tech sport slotted rotors and street pads. Very happy with the performance and very little brake dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I once encountered a partially engaged emergency brake with no indicator warning light and that really started to overheated the brakes the 09. I discovered the problem before any serious issues came to light....

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. I need a line lock, probably was a combination of the burnouts and high speed shenanigans I do.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Tbh ive done MANY standstills without linelock (tazer gives me linelock now) in my M6 with stock rears with 85K on them. No cracks or warps. Odd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts