Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been addressed in this forum but thought I would pass it along. Check your rocker panels at the wheel well corners for splits/cracks. I was made aware of this at another forum. Never would have noticed till detailing time. If you are not yet out of 3 year/36k warranty call this number NOW: 1-800-992-1997. If you are out of warranty you may be out of luck.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Well known problem with lots of threads about it on this forum....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, i have a 2012 challenger and i just uncovered it today to take pictures and when i covered it up i also noticed both sides rocker panels are cracked in rear juat as it wraps into rear fender wells. I only have 2898 miles on it ans was upset till i read that this looks like a constant issue. I called that number 18009921997 and they told me to take it to dealer and have it looked at.
Looks like Dodge has a issue with these if im not only one with cracked rockers.

·
Super Moderator
15,168 Posts
The good news is that they will be replaced under your warranty.

The bad news is the replacement ones will also crack. Mine did.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The good news is that they will be replaced under your warranty.

The bad news is the replacement ones will also crack. Mine did.
Has anyone ever tried to reinforce the corners that crack? Like add epoxy?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think people have found that leaving the screws a little loose let's them expand and contract so the don't Crack as easily.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,017 Posts
I have gone through three sets now on just one car.... Out of warranty on the 08 the new ones I just put on cost about $150.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been looking at new Challengers since 2012 and almost everyone I see that sits on the lot through winter has cracked rockers. May be onto something with leaving them loose...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Best theory that I read on a forum was that during winter months water drains down in there and then as it freezes cracks the rocker. Curious to know if any of you guys that never see sub freezing temps see this on their cars?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I caught mine right before the warranty went out thankfully! I never noticed it until after we started having some sunshine after all the ice and snow.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Best theory that I read on a forum was that during winter months water drains down in there and then as it freezes cracks the rocker. Curious to know if any of you guys that never see sub freezing temps see this on their cars?
Thats not a bad theory but it would have to puddle quite a bit to do that. I don't think it would hold that much water. Mine split on the back end and it literally looks like the panel shrank about a half inch. I'll have to post a picture.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Not a great theory for cars that are kept off the road for the winter in heated garages.

·
Super Moderator
15,168 Posts
Rocker panels can crack from improper lifting, but most crack because they are simply too tight and cannot flex with the movement of the car. You would think that they would have a solution after 6 years!

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
A little J-B weld will fix 'em right up. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
The 2012 RT/C I had came with cracked ones. Built before cold weather and owned in the desert so the ice theory is a no go. I replaced them myself and did not tighten the bolts down all the way and did not have another problem.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What's funny is when I first got my car I came home and noticed that the screws on one of my rockers were backed out quite a bit. So being the mister fix it i am I snagged em down. First wash this year, it's cracked. Doh

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After I recently got mine replaced I checked and the mechanic had snugged up the bolts so I backed them out about a full turn.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Mine is 3 years old in Southern CA. I keep it garaged. So far - no cracks. I did notice the passenger side rocker had a big load of white adhesive stuck between the middle of the rocker and the car body. You can't see it without looking under the car. They left the drips and all - very unprofesional for a brand new car to glob on white glue on a black part - but no rocker panel cracks so far (thankfully).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cracked Rockers

Mine is 3 years old in Southern CA. I keep it garaged. So far - no cracks. I did notice the passenger side rocker had a big load of white adhesive stuck between the middle of the rocker and the car body. You can't see it without looking under the car. They left the drips and all - very unprofesional for a brand new car to glob on white glue on a black part - but no rocker panel cracks so far (thankfully).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Mine cracked after some bad wheel hop burnouts, don't know if that had anything to do with it, service advisor at my dealership said it happens when people beat on their cars...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 26 Posts