Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning the car yesterday, I noticed a crack in the rubber trim on my passenger door. Yikes! So I look on the driver door, and sure enough, there is a crack starting there too. Went to the dealer, and they say both interior door panels need to be replaced. They need to photograph the damage and get permission from BIG BROTHER before ordering the panels. They also said a lot of times, this type of damage is caused by "abuse". Yea, I always abuse my doors. This will no doubt be fixed under warranty, but I worry what the installer might screw up while fixing this. I'm also surprized this trim can't be replaced without having to do the whole door panel. Check your cars folks, there seems to be a high spot on both doors right where the cracks occur. I have had my car for only 6 mos.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
There's a service flash/bulletin/whatever they call it. I had this happen to my passenger side while I was on vacation last week...only owned for two months. My local dealer gave me the same story but afterwards told me Dodge was aware of the issue and replaced both sides under warranty last week. I'm sure you'll be fine, but search around here for the service flash if your dealer gives you any trouble with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, great info! I'm all about the TSBs! Will check now....

Funny, the dealer's service writers always act like they have never seen issues before, don't they read the TSBs? I realize these are not mandatory recalls, but they always play dumb. Power steering issue TSB, Steering vibration TSB, same scenario, but all fixed under warranty in the long run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
no TSB for this issue but the inner belt mouldings are now serviceable seperately. no longer need to replace the entire trim panel.
68071960AA Challenger Door Edge Molding Kit.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have heard of a handful of others on another forum talk about this issue. So far my car is good.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Happened to me, too

And the Service Manager said the entire door panel would be replaced. They photographed it, even ordered in a new panel. I didn't get to the dealer for a few weeks and by the time I did, Dodge had the inner belt part available, so they just replaced the cracked part, not the entire door trim. It's an issue, and owners should look for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ahh, great info! I'm all about the TSBs! Will check now....

Funny, the dealer's service writers always act like they have never seen issues before, don't they read the TSBs? I realize these are not mandatory recalls, but they always play dumb. Power steering issue TSB, Steering vibration TSB, same scenario, but all fixed under warranty in the long run.
not trying to defend service writers playing dumb - cause plenty do - but, there are thousands of TSBs out there - some apply to a VIN range of 100 or less vehicles, some apply to a lot more - it would be impossible to read every one and try to recall it a month later... once they run your VIN all applicable TSBs, recalls, RRTs or any 'flash' updates all pop up...

·
Registered
76 Posts
... once they run your VIN all applicable TSBs, recalls, RRTs or any 'flash' updates all pop up...
not quite. when service advisor runs your VIN, RRTs & recalls pop up. TSBs & flashes, they have to search for. this is not really their job. the tech is supposed to repair the vehicle using the most up to date information available and this includes shop manuals (online), recalls, RRTs, TSBs and Tech Tips.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
thanks for the post...sigh, another thing to go check, LOL :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Mine has the crack on the driver's side. When I first noticed it, I actually thought it was two pieces and was just separating. Then one day I was opening the passenger door and noticed it wasn't there on that side. When I looked closer at the driver's side, I could see that it actually has a jagged break in the strip. The two pieces are now about 1/8" apart from one another. It's almost as if something is stretching or putting strain the ends of each side of the door panel and pulling at it until the strip breaks. Mine appears to be made out of plastic though and not rubber.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine has not cracked yet but was at the dealer and the showroom SRT had a crack on the driver side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
haha, I was just going to make a thread about this. My PCP has cracked on both sides. taking it to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is also cracked on the drivers side. Don't feel like making a trip to the dealer just for this so i guess i'll wait till next month when i have to get the state inspection done anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good info i just noticed this last week on the drivers side of my r/t, ill be taking it in on tuesday so they can look at it. They better not give me crap about voided warranty and stuff like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When you guys go and have this fixed, make sure you check your windows before you leave the lot. For some reason, it seems to be another common problem that :When they fix the cracked trip, the auto down function no longer works.

The window WILL still go up and down, but you cannot press the button past the 'click' that makes it go all the way down.

I knew about this issue and still forgot to check it before I left the dealer. I get to go back on Friday. It'd be nice if they'd just fix it all at the same time.

·
Registered
959 Posts
mine are cracked on both sides. have had the car 15 months just noticed it last week.

·
Registered
481 Posts
While cleaning the car yesterday, I noticed a crack in the rubber trim on my passenger door. Yikes! So I look on the driver door, and sure enough, there is a crack starting there too. Went to the dealer, and they say both interior door panels need to be replaced. They need to photograph the damage and get permission from BIG BROTHER before ordering the panels. They also said a lot of times, this type of damage is caused by "abuse". Yea, I always abuse my doors. This will no doubt be fixed under warranty, but I worry what the installer might screw up while fixing this. I'm also surprized this trim can't be replaced without having to do the whole door panel. Check your cars folks, there seems to be a high spot on both doors right where the cracks occur. I have had my car for only 6 mos.
I had exactly the same thing, dealer replaced them at no cost. warranty work:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts