Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ive watched a bunch of videos on the removal of the PCM and was trying to do the same but recieved a different result when removing the tops of the wiring clips.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

The wires are both stuck onto the PCM and I have not been able to remove them even with a flathead screwdriver.

My attempt at removing this also somehow disrupted the start process and it cranks forever but wont start up.

I am wondering if someone recognizes what I may have screwed up ? thanks,

The top portion of the PCM Clips:
Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Machine Auto part

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,217 Posts
Right up front generally PCMs are not to be disturbed unless absolutely positively required.

In fact any vehicle electrical connector should not be disturbed unless absolutely positively required.

Are you or have you been prying on the wires or on the connector?

I haven't much experience with vehicle electrical connectors but prying on anything is not something I ever recall having to do. Some connectors are hard to separate. In some cases the connector halves are held together securely with a latch. To separate the connectors this latch needs to be released. In at least one case -- O2 sensors and this on another car -- I didn't have the hand strength necessary to press the latch hard enough to get it to release. Had to take the car to a dealer service department.

If you have been prying on wires you have pulled one or more loose or broken a wire. If you have been prying on a connector you may have managed to get at least one pin to the point its connection is compromised.

If the latter you may be able to fix the problem by forcing the connectors back together completely.

If the former you probably have to separate the connectors without doing any further damage and I guess check continuity to try to determine which wires you have damaged.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,710 Posts
I haven't watched anything, but I would assume those top "clips" aren't clips, but meant to be always part of the harness connector. Those handles would remove the whole connector from the PCM. Hopefully it will all snap back together, and you can re-seat it. Or you may be in for some awful fiddly pin repair work.
But I will take a pick, those orange/red levers are obviously lock down levers, but I can't tell more.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
676 Posts
Orange levers do lock the connectors in place. They are toothed to mesh with a pair of sliding locks on the sides of the connectors. If you pulled them off without lifting them first, try to put them back in place with the levers in the same position they were in when you removed them. If you are lucky, it will go back together, if not, you need to find someone who is able to help you. Otherwise, a trip to a shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts