Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ; I had my 2020 dodge challenger wide body delivered and found the crankshaft damper in front of the radiator, it is a 6.4 Would any one know how it is held onto the crankshaft pulley, the dealer said it is held in by a rubber strap . I thought it would be held in by three bolts . There are 3 large holes in the damper and 3 smaller holes. Not counting the center hole which is very big. any pictures of the damper installed onto the crankshaft pulley would be great. Also could there be any damage to the crank shaft or the bearings, valves , oil pump etc. any help will be greatly appreciated. Car is at dealer now with 189 miles on it. I never drove the car. the miles are from dealer to my home.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
the outer dampener ring must have had the bond fail there's the center hub (bolted by a large bolt in center) that goes to the crankshaft and the rubber ring band and then the outer harmonic dampener ring.

Get that replaced right away.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
I think the OEM is a poor design. The outer ring (hub) can heat up and expand quicker (not only from heat conducted through crank but also heat from the serpentine belt) than the center slug/mass because there is a rubber insulator inbetween the two. All that is needed is vibrations and that pressed in slug can wiggle loose. Also the mass is concentrated in the center so it won't be as effective is was added to the outer rim area behind the serpentine.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody
55 Posts
Excuse the questions and the tone I just trying to understand the issue, this is a brand new car with only 190 miles on it are you sure we a referencing the correct part (crankshaft damper as per the picture provided by ChallyTatum)? The crankshaft damper as indicated by Hal H is bonded to the crankshaft pulley and the damper itself is pretty heavier to offset any vibration created on the crankshaft. I would not suspect the bond to fail in such a short time frame and if the bond did fail and the damper came off the damage would pretty evident in the engine compartment. The other mystery here is that you found the damper in front of your radiator does this imply between the front valance and the radiator, which in theory would mean the damper would have smashed through the radiator to do this.
Any pictures you can provide would be very beneficial to help solve the mystery currently in my head :)

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Excuse the questions and the tone I just trying to understand the issue, this is a brand new car with only 190 miles on it are you sure we a referencing the correct part (crankshaft damper as per the picture provided by ChallyTatum)? The crankshaft damper as indicated by Hal H is bonded to the crankshaft pulley and the damper itself is pretty heavier to offset any vibration created on the crankshaft. I would not suspect the bond to fail in such a short time frame and if the bond did fail and the damper came off the damage would pretty evident in the engine compartment. The other mystery here is that you found the damper in front of your radiator does this imply between the front valance and the radiator, which in theory would mean the damper would have smashed through the radiator to do this.
Any pictures you can provide would be very beneficial to help solve the mystery currently in my head :)
holy crap you are right, maybe they gave him a spare just in case.

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts
I've seen posts in other places on the 'net that had the dampener portion fall off and sit inside the belly pan. The inner portion of the balancer was still on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
I've seen posts in other places on the 'net that had the dampener portion fall off and sit inside the belly pan. The inner portion of the balancer was still on the crankshaft.
You mean the outer ring (marked with a blue C) fell off? If so, how does it get passed the belt?

·
Super Moderator
14,812 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am skeptical also. That is a lot of weight that would come flying off at extreme speeds. That being said I would be very concerned with them replacing it. That is a major part of the rotating assembly. My understanding is that you can’t just take it off and replace it with another because the motor would be out of balance. I would imagine they would need to tear down your motor or replace it. I’m not an expert but I’ve built a few motors. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the OP is referencing the part marked "R" in the picture provided by ChallyTatum above, I still think this would highly unlikely and probably have been a supplier defective part. Any way at 190 miles this is most definitely a warranty claim and any other damage associated with the part in question. The other posts I have seen on the forum where for older models with higher mileage and we cant assume the kind of driving they were exposed to when the failure occurred. I have seen dampers come apart when the rubber bond has deteriorated from excessive heat or perishing due to old age but not after 190 miles. I could be wrong however more details will help solve the mystery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most if not all engines today are internally balanced on the crankshaft itself, just an example the holes drilled on the internal rotating components of the crankshaft in the image below.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
88 Posts
The internal parts are balanced but the damper handles torsionals created by engine operation (cylinder firing).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are correct mad bro it is the inner ring with a rubber belt to hold it in place, the pic with the R marked is the correct part i found in the belly pan. I did not see any damage to the radiator or any fluid leaks. My worries is there any internal motor damage. The car was delivered by dealer, I never drove the car. I will keep this post updated as I hear from the dealer . PARTS ON ORDER ,

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
88 Posts
Doesn't the inner ring marked R have the pulley groove as part of it? If so, is the drive belt damaged and accessories non-funtional?
Pics of the damage would help us understand the situation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
WOW thats crazy I will need to check mine I would think the inner piece would be a press fit or bonded in place not held in with a rubber piece. Keep us posted.

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
adding a ATI damper requires pinning the crank, which means power train restricted......

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
have never seen one fall off, ever, not saying that its impossible, just never seen one

1 - 20 of 37 Posts