Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 TA and yes the stock exhaust sounded really nice but not loud enough. I put 24250 minis in place of the mids and yes louder but at WOT with the windows down it sounds like crap after say 4000 rpm. Blatty or popping sound like a harley with shotgun pipes...especially noticeable with the sound echoing off a building etc. I noticed this with the stock exhaust but just not as much. Is this due to an x pipe instead of an h pipe? True duals on my chevy 350 pick up sound sounded like pure junkyard trash until I put in an H pipe and then pure bliss. Im used to the sound of a fire breathing 750hp BBC so my opinion may be a little skewed. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,719 Posts
How many miles do you have on the replacements? Maybe they have a burn-in period and you haven't completed that yet.

Or maybe they just sound like they do now and that's all there is to it. In that case, the only way you're going to find satisfaction is to find another example of the audio profile you like and mimic that car's exhaust setup as much as possible.

Everything else will just be guess-work and blind luck I think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I noticed it too, "rasp" I call it. Except I have an e46 M3 also, and that is a raspy bugger and redlines at 8k rpm. What we are hearing is VVT changing and the result is the exhaust note also changes.[?]

Reactions: vincentallen2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has just about 500 mi with the 24250 mids and about 2000 mi total (not my daily). Car sounds great with the windows up or at part throttle windows down but hammer it with windows down and it’s all Harley all the time. Even had my brother drive the car down the road....coming towards me sounded great and then passing me/going away sounded blatty like a non balanced dual exhaust. As part of an expirement I cut the exhaust off after the AES valves around the axle....o my god the drone!!!!! Those are going back on immediately but with resonator deletes...maybe 24250sin place of those as well?? Interestingly enough I found that on my 2013 rt dumping the exhaust by cutting out the rear portion of the stock exhaust sounded pretty nice. Sounded better than a $1000 system I put on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 13 had straight through resonator (I think) mids and “suitcase” mufflers out back... quiet as a church mouse stock. To clarify the exhaust ended around the rear axles.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I have a 17 TA and yes the stock exhaust sounded really nice but not loud enough. I put 24250 minis in place of the mids and yes louder but at WOT with the windows down it sounds like crap after say 4000 rpm. Blatty or popping sound like a harley with shotgun pipes...especially noticeable with the sound echoing off a building etc. I noticed this with the stock exhaust but just not as much. Is this due to an x pipe instead of an h pipe? True duals on my chevy 350 pick up sound sounded like pure junkyard trash until I put in an H pipe and then pure bliss. Im used to the sound of a fire breathing 750hp BBC so my opinion may be a little skewed. Any thoughts on this?
Do you have the 392 TA or the 5.7 TA? I have the 5.7 and while yes the stock exhaust does sound nice I want more beef to it. I had a 13 Camaro SS that I traded in for this car and it had 3" straight pipe from the cats out the back. It sounded nice but at high RPM it would sputter and pop and in cold weather I got back fire with flames if High RPM WOT to off the throttle. Looking at different exhausts to install on my TA being considering the BORLA system. They have 3 of them I am considering the middle one as it has more deep tones while the loudest one has more of a Rasp and crack noise to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it’s the 5.7. Gonna try a few things before I look at a full system...I noticed with even a few of the high dollar systems the blatty Harley sound was still audible

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Want LOUD???

Do a search for BLACK WIDOW exhaust.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Want LOUD???

Do a search for BLACK WIDOW exhaust.
I searched the Black Widow exhaust and found some videos. Seems they are on either trucks or classic muscle cars. Can't find any videos of modern muscle cars. They have a retailer/muffler shop in riverside, CA so maybe when I am home again I will have to take a wander down the hill.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If you want loud, get cut outs or NOWEEDS diverter. Can't make it any louder than just removing the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I searched the Black Widow exhaust and found some videos. Seems they are on either trucks or classic muscle cars. Can't find any videos of modern muscle cars. They have a retailer/muffler shop in riverside, CA so maybe when I am home again I will have to take a wander down the hill.
I found vids on YOUTUBE showing modern Challengers.

Here's one of a 3.6......https://youtu.be/ndVfqoSCV4M

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I found vids on YOUTUBE showing modern Challengers.

Here's one of a 3.6......https://youtu.be/ndVfqoSCV4M
That was a v6? If so sounded pretty good.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm happy with my dynomax minis on my 6.4. Maybe have to give them time.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
That was a v6? If so sounded pretty good.
Exactly! Imagine how good a V8 sounds!! (they claim that 3.6 is stock with just the mufflers but it almost sounds TOO good so???)

I'll look for another video......

Here's a 11 R/T Charger......
https://youtu.be/P7N0EzG4Qzs

BTW.....I have no affiliation with Black Widow, just found them on Youtube awhile back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts