Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My attempts to locate and acquire a 392 came to an end today.

Even the best "deal" I could find was ridiculous! $48k+ MSRP (if you can call it that).

$48k for a Dodge? For a Dodge with marginal improvements over theprevious year (debatable, I know)... But for an engine that's basically a bored out version of the "old" 5.7, with no internal forgings... Some suspension modifications... Slightly modified interior...

Are these dealers and Dodge friggin crazy?!

I know SRT's are performance bargains in a sense, but after tax, you're looking at a Dodge that's costing into the mid-low $50s... That's getting close to AMG/M3 pricing!

I paid $41k out the door for my 2007 SRT8, and I'm in San Diego (markup capital)...

So Dodge is trying to sell me a car that's about $10k more (after taxes) than their previous model... That's like a 25% increase! Is the car 25% better than last years??? Are the improvements worth it? Not from what I've seen and read.

I've been a Mopar fan for ever... But reflecting on this price disparity, I'm losing faith!

I think I'm destined for a Jeep. This pricing is ridiculous!

Dodge and the like are pricing their vehicles out of reach of their core fan base, IMO.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How about 50 grand for a half-ton 4wd pickup?

When I bought my first new truck in 1974, a W200 loaded, it was 5,338 bucks out the door.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's another way of looking at it... You can get a 2011 Raptor, a truck that has no production equal for $42k... And nothing produced remotely compares to it in performance... I know cars are a different thing, but come on! If the SRT8s kicked the crap outta anything produced, then I could see the disparity... But then again, Ford can manage to produce a raptor (that has no equal) and sell it in the low $40k?! Something is askew.

I'm just livid is all... If the new srts had a forged 426 with 550+ hp and a suspension refined so that it's in the same BALLPARK as a BMW, then I could see the price disparity.

Ugggh! I'm frustrated! If the car would cost 3k more than my old srt, then I'd find that acceptable. But not $10k more.

I declare shenanigans!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heck, We should all get a big arse discount because our tax dollars kept Mopar afloat! Now the SOBs are nailing us in the keister again with these crazy costs!

It's no wonder the foreign companies are kickin our butts! Between the unions and high paid execs, we have crippled our auto industry and now they are selling us good products at great product prices!

I hate to say it, but Ford somehow manages to develop new, high perofrmance products at reasonable prices that get good mileage and use forged parts... WTF?! And their prices don't seem to JUMP like this!

I know it's all what the demand is, but there's no way in hell this American is gonna pay that much for that car! No way!

Dodge, it's been great while it lasted. Come at me with something atrociously special and we will talk.

Folks: $10k more than my 6.1 liter! Ten thousand dollars more... and for a product that's improved (not revamped)?! Come on! It doesn't even have the 2012 Charger SRT interior upgrades, let alone the adaptive dampening controls!

·
Registered
653 Posts
The jeep will run the there in pricing too. My friends fully loaded '11 GC cost 48k while my 392 cost 51k with tax. If you think you can swing the loaded jeep then just get the 392 but you will definitely think that the price is justified once you get behind the wheel.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about 50 grand for a half-ton 4wd pickup?

When I bought my first new truck in 1974, a W200 loaded, it was 5,338 bucks out the door.

As crazy as this sounds, the price increase over decades is more acceptable... But a real life, end of the day, out the door increase of $10k for one model that's not completely redone? Insanity! Dodge did a partial upgrade to this car and are asking a premium... Then next years model, they'll take all of the already designed and produced upgrades from the 2012 Charger SRT, slap them on the Challenger, and ask another $3-5k. Kiss my you know what! Lol

I know these games have gone on forever, but in the past 5-10 years, you got more bang for the buck, no doubt.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not talking a Jeep GC... They're crazy on those too! I'm talking Wrangler Sport! Lol

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me, with a kid, $50k can go a long way if invested properly or even put in a savings account... I think my performance car days are gone. This is just insanity. Thanks dodge... Im glad my taxes saved your butts. Ford didn't need it, FYI.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
The jeep will run the there in pricing too. My friends fully loaded '11 GC cost 48k while my 392 cost 51k with tax. If you think you can swing the loaded jeep then just get the 392 but you will definitely think that the price is justified once you get behind the wheel.:thumbsup:
I looked at a 2011 GC with the PentaStar 3.6L back in December and the sticker was $41k!!!:notallthere: $41k and no HEMI? I almost lost it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For my mom and I it was about the same as challangerrt's price... around 51K. In my opinion, these IE 392 vehicles are pretty darn expensive because of the limited production. Even the non-IE's can run easily in the mid-40's before taxes.

If you REALLY want to look for a good deal... wait 6 monthes. Then go hunting around for 2009 6.1's in the beginning of September! I would think perhaps the price for a new vehicle could be low as around the mid to low 30's range. Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try buying a AMG/M3 for 50k. The M3 starts at 58k then by the time you've added wheels and a steering wheel, leather seats, decent stereo and performance brakes etc, its nearer 75-80k. Believe me, I weighed it up. The 392 is a bargain for what you get. Raw materials have sky rocketed in price in the past few years and hence everything is much more expensive to manufacture. The only thing that is cheaper is electronics, hence its a reasonably cheap upgrade for NAV these days.

I'd be interested to see you post a priced up M3 with the same level of features as the 392 IE. Humor us and try it.

At a recent car show the most rip off company for what you get for your money was Toyota/Lexus. In comparison to all the competition, Lexus especially was unbelieveably expensive. The Infiniti QX56 ($58k fully loaded) has a top end luxury interior, and the similar Lexus was no where near as well finished and was priced over $90k. Who in their right mind would pay 90k for a Toyota??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Putting the Toy in Toyota

Who in their right mind would pay 90k for a Toyota??
LOL!:bigthumb: Toyota might be nice and the 4Runners are built like tanks... but Lexus is just ridiculous on pricing. Just like Hondas and Acuras... way overpriced. Heck, I even like Nissan... I'll admit it. But I don't like how they slap overpriced MSRP stickers on the cars/trucks in the sales lot.

Oh yeah... IF I had 90K to burn... the only time I would pay that amout of money for a Toyota would be if it was a mint condition 1985 AE-86 Hatchback Corolla with massive upgrades that would make it a turn key drift car. Other than that... No deal on 90K priced Toyotas!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here in Canada the 392 starts at like 53K. The one I bought ran 56 plus taxes( around 63k) and your complaining haha. I totally understand where your comming from but the Canadian prices are whats nuts! The crazy thing about it is how are dollar is worth more then the US dollar and it will be for awhile, so with that if i were to buy this car in the US for the same price id pay around 64-65K. So consider yourself lucky man!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts

Even the best "deal" I could find was ridiculous! $48k+ MSRP (if you can call it that).
Hate to say it, but looks like Dodge hit the pricing about right for the IE 392. Would I like to see them priced less? Hell yes! But judging from the current supply, I'd say the customer demand is there.

·
Registered
153 Posts

$48k for a Dodge? For a Dodge with marginal improvements over theprevious year (debatable, I know)... But for an engine that's basically a bored out version of the "old" 5.7, with no internal forgings... Some suspension modifications... Slightly modified interior...

Are these dealers and Dodge friggin crazy?!

I know SRT's are performance bargains in a sense, but after tax, you're looking at a Dodge that's costing into the mid-low $50s... That's getting close to AMG/M3 pricing!

I paid $41k out the door for my 2007 SRT8, and I'm in San Diego (markup capital)...

So Dodge is trying to sell me a car that's about $10k more (after taxes) than their previous model... That's like a 25% increase! Is the car 25% better than last years??? Are the improvements worth it? Not from what I've seen and read.

I've been a Mopar fan for ever... But reflecting on this price disparity, I'm losing faith!

I think I'm destined for a Jeep. This pricing is ridiculous!

Dodge and the like are pricing their vehicles out of reach of their core fan base, IMO.
10k more than what?

A 2007 What?

I know of no 41k MSRP Challenger that is optioned the same as 48k Challenger. Do an apples to apples comparison.

I know of several dealers that will sell $500 below invoice.

Please stop the rambling about foriegn cars and go by one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
As far as the pricing on the new 392s, here's what I'd be doing if I was in the market for an SRT: I'd be buying a used '09 or '10 SRT 6-speed, and then using my employee discount on one of those new aluminum 426 crate motors (discounted cost: $10k). Then I'd swap the engines and sell the 6.1. Then I'd really have a nice SRT that would be worth the money...

...Thanks dodge... Im glad my taxes saved your butts...
Just think how I feel. My taxes helped to pay Chrysler to close their highest-quality/lowest-cost engine plant (my now-former place of employment) and move its work to...Mexico!! And don't bother trying to blame the UAW. We gave up everything they asked for, and then some. It didn't seem to matter, they had already decided to do it as soon as they figured out that the taxpayers would be paying the bill for the move.

...Ford didn't need it, FYI...
Well, not exactly. Ford did need it...two years earlier than GM or Chrysler. Ford's only problem was that there was no government money available to them at the time, so they mortgaged their very souls to the banks instead of to the government. If government money would have been available to Ford when they needed it, they would have been all over it...just like GM and Chrysler.

·
Registered
396 Posts
48K ? I wish !
Mine stickered @ $50,560 .00
Add NY State tax tag & Title & I'm at around 57,000K

Best 57K I spent :bigthumb:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For my mom and I it was about the same as challangerrt's price... around 51K. In my opinion, these IE 392 vehicles are pretty darn expensive because of the limited production. Even the non-IE's can run easily in the mid-40's before taxes.

If you REALLY want to look for a good deal... wait 6 monthes. Then go hunting around for 2009 6.1's in the beginning of September! I would think perhaps the price for a new vehicle could be low as around the mid to low 30's range. Good luck!
I "understand" limited production, but even a "regular" 392 was selling for $47K...

Try buying a AMG/M3 for 50k. The M3 starts at 58k then by the time you've added wheels and a steering wheel, leather seats, decent stereo and performance brakes etc, its nearer 75-80k. Believe me, I weighed it up. The 392 is a bargain for what you get. Raw materials have sky rocketed in price in the past few years and hence everything is much more expensive to manufacture. The only thing that is cheaper is electronics, hence its a reasonably cheap upgrade for NAV these days.

I'd be interested to see you post a priced up M3 with the same level of features as the 392 IE. Humor us and try it.

At a recent car show the most rip off company for what you get for your money was Toyota/Lexus. In comparison to all the competition, Lexus especially was unbelieveably expensive. The Infiniti QX56 ($58k fully loaded) has a top end luxury interior, and the similar Lexus was no where near as well finished and was priced over $90k. Who in their right mind would pay 90k for a Toyota??
I'm just saying that what they're asking, its approaching AMG/M prices.

10k more than what?

A 2007 What?

I know of no 41k MSRP Challenger that is optioned the same as 48k Challenger. Do an apples to apples comparison.

I know of several dealers that will sell $500 below invoice.

Please stop the rambling about foriegn cars and go by one.
2007 Charger SRT8, fully loaded.

What dealers? help a brother out!

Rambling? I think the price disparity of $10K over my current SRT is worth rambling about! I ain't rich and can't afford to drop an extra $10K without DARN GOOD reason...

As far as foreign cars... please. Half of our American cars are at least partially built over seas... Challenger, for example... while some foreign cars are built right here in the USA. You buy a Dodge, and some poor soul in the Southeast USA working on a BMW assembly line losses a job. The line between "foreign" and "domestic" is hopelessly blurred my friend. There are many Americans working good jobs for foreign car makers within our nation's borders. So who should we support? Our makers who take our tax money to keep afloat (thus double-dipping and getting us twice)?! Or the foreign maker who employs Americans with good, stable jobs and doesn't take our tax money to stay afloat (at least not at the surface of public awareness)?!

Its all jacked-up...

Now, where are these $500 below invoice dealers?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

***The reason I'm fired up is because here's a car I really like, its an improvement over my current SRT (not night and day, but an improvement none-the-less), and from what "they" are asking, I'll be out $10K more than what I paid for my 2007. If $10K doesn't raise your eyebrow a little bit, then you're either rich or fiscally unsound. I'm a current SRT owner, and therefore have earned the right to ramble or complain! I love Mopar, but $10K is alot of dough to me.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Omom, this is exactly the reason why I bought a left over loaded 2010SRT and only paid 39900. Buy smart!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
:werd:

And it's why I bought my 2009 R/T 6-speed new for $29,300.

Clint Eastwood said it best, "A man's got to know his limitations." :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts