Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bumper Hit was my first scratch

The body shop I am using is well known for high end cars including Saleen (saleen is located in my city) is one of the few around here also that is recommended by Tesla. So I have some good confidence in their work

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bad day for you :(

Even if the light was green - clearly it wasn't, the left turn was - anyone who does the rear-ending is responsible.

I was hit almost exactly like that in my Monte Carlo. They replaced the bumper cover and the honeycomb inside it. Good as new.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Many of us take such pride in our vehicles, which can make events like this even more aggravating than usual. A reputable repair shop will have you fixed up and you won't be able to tell a difference.

·
Registered
15,051 Posts
Terrible situation but kudos to the cameras, I need a set up like that, good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
He saw the other car move next to him out of his peripheral that's why he started to go while looking down at his cell, dumb!

No way that's $8,000 worth of repair though, that "high end" body shop is quoting high end prices.

Hope the fix go's perfect for you!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,994 Posts
Feel for you.

My new Challenger has not been hit, thank goodness. Nor my new JCW. But my Boxster was hit 2 times. First time just like your situation. Left hand turn lane traffic started to move and the <expletative> in the SUV behind me on her phone started up and slammed into the back of my Boxster. The impact pushed my car into the rear of the SUV ahead of my car. So my car ended up with damage front and back. Excuse? "I was distracted." AKA I was on my cell phone. Yeah, and shove the distraction where the sun don't shine.

Second time stopped at a light. Light changed green and I started to move and the butthead behind me wasn't paying attention. Excuse? You guessed it. "I was distracted." Yeah, by your blankit blank cell phone! Some dumbass guy texting like a little girl. He was in his mommy's car. His truck was in the shop -- he told me this -- because he had just a few days prior had an accident iwth his truck.

Another time my 4 week old new 2008 Porsche Cayman S was hit and totaled. Woman on her cell phone missed her turn and her shit box Volvo on bald tires slid across several lanes of traffic and smashed into the driver's side of my new car, just at the left front wheel. $60.6K car just 4 weeks old -- didn't even have the plates yet -- rendered total scrap in an instant. Her mom owned the car and only had $50K insurance. I told her you don't run into $60K cars with $50K insurance and had to threaten to take her house then her insurance came through with some fancy footwork and I was made whole.

There is no traffic law enforcement in CA. Heck, one time I was almost hit by a cop car driven by a uniformed officer as she was pulling out of the station parking lot driveway. Uniformed officer on her damned cell phone.

Sorry, but drivers on cell phone running into cars just sets me off.

Anyhow, see about a diminished value claim against the other driver's insurance. If you are successful this can pay you the difference what the car was worth before the accident vs. what it is worth after, even though the repair (should) should have the car back to its pre collision condition. There will still be the stgma of an accident on the car's record now and forever and this will always negatively impact the car's value.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is why I keep my distance from cars in front of me at traffic lights. If I get rear ended, at least I got a better chance at not being slammed into the car in front of me and damaging the front too. I pay attention behind almost as much as I do ahead. If a vehicle as approaching fast from behind, i got room in front to get out of the way. I can't believe how many drivers behind me reach for their phone as soon at they stop at a light or before. I would rather take extra time to get where I'm going and take a less travel route than have these idiots tail gating while playing with their phones.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is why I keep my distance from cars in front of me at traffic lights. If I get rear ended, at least I got a better chance at not being slammed into the car in front of me and damaging the front too. I pay attention behind almost as much as I do ahead. If a vehicle as approaching fast from behind, i got room in front to get out of the way. I can't believe how many drivers behind me reach for their phone as soon at they stop at a light or before. I would rather take extra time to get where I'm going and take a less travel route than have these idiots tail gating while playing with their phones.

The one thing that sucked about that Morning is that I just dropped my boy off from school and I diverted from my normal route back home because I noticed cars in my rear view were coming up fast on me to get on the freeway ramp so I changed my mind at the last minute to take side streets instead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
742 Posts
I feel bad that your special car was damaged by an idiot. I'm sure that a reputable shop will return it to original condition. Here in SC driving distracted by cell phones is at epidemic level. If you look around while stopped in traffic the majority of drivers you can see will be doing something with their cell phones. IMO drivers who are caught driving while using cell phones should have both the phone and vehicle confiscated. No need for court or fines which ultimately cost the taxpayer. Let the municipality sell the vehicle and cell phone.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
I always said they should put copper RF shielding between the headliner and car roof, similar to like in an MRI room. Then cell phones will not work in cars.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,643 Posts
I feel for you. Once it happened, the good thing is no doubt who is at fault because of your videos. Although the rear ended is 99.9% at fault, even if light was green, he still can't drive through you!

A Guy

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't forget to get some compensation for the damage done to the resale value. A lot of people will run from a car that has been in an accident - and it will be flagged (CarFax, etc.)

·
Registered
550 Posts
That is a real bummer. So sorry this happened to you. I am always looking out of the rear view mirror in traffic and cringe when I see a driver with their face in their phone. I have the front mounted dash cam and that has already paid for itself in a hit and run that my daughter was involved in. You just gave me reason for a rear cam.

Can I ask what brand you are using? Not entirely comfortable with the quality that I am getting from my ten eighty pee / one seventy degree dash cam. Does not capture clearly enough.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a real bummer. So sorry this happened to you. I am always looking out of the rear view mirror in traffic and cringe when I see a driver with their face in their phone. I have the front mounted dash cam and that has already paid for itself in a hit and run that my daughter was involved in. You just gave me reason for a rear cam.

Can I ask what brand you are using? Not entirely comfortable with the quality that I am getting from my ten eighty pee / one seventy degree dash cam. Does not capture clearly enough.

Thinkware F770, they have a newer one that improves upon night view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I feel bad that your special car was damaged by an idiot. I'm sure that a reputable shop will return it to original condition. Here in SC driving distracted by cell phones is at epidemic level. If you look around while stopped in traffic the majority of drivers you can see will be doing something with their cell phones. IMO drivers who are caught driving while using cell phones should have both the phone and vehicle confiscated. No need for court or fines which ultimately cost the taxpayer. Let the municipality sell the vehicle and cell phone.
Wow, hard core!!
I'd give em a $500 fine first.......would that be a permanent confiscation or just temporary? :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Don't forget to get some compensation for the damage done to the resale value. A lot of people will run from a car that has been in an accident - and it will be flagged (CarFax, etc.)
I've heard of people asking for that but never getting it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts