Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After a big snow spell here in central Texas my girlfriend's 2013 RT has been creaking when accelerating. Has anyone ever ran into an issue like this? It sounds like a rusty spring being compressed, and this only happened after the big snow hit. Can anyone offer any ideas? We haven't washed the under body.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
My pick up also has been doing that in very cold temps. I'd say you're car is fine but balking at the weather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else encountered this? Trying to find info and it seems cars just do this in the cold...but if it continues?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I've found two reasons that can cause this with snow and cold:

1. The cold will stiffen suspension bushings and they will creak.

2. Snow and ice can build up on suspension parts and the crunching can sound like a creak in the cabin.

Both should simply disappear with warmer weather. Neither is detrimental to the car.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
I had a similar issue a few years ago after I acquired my current SRT. The noise was a creaking that would only happen after I started accelerating from a complete stand still. The noise in fact sounded kind of like a piece of stretched rope going over a piece of wood with considerable friction. Turns out I had a torn cradle bushing in the rear of the car. The part was cheap but the entire exhaust and rear cradle had to be dropped to replace that bushing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts