Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i was doing a good careful job and getting the bolt started. ended up cross threading one hole..What now???
Please help

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Challenger RT Classic
6 Posts
option A
get some kind of extractor set.

Type in bolt extraction in youtube.

option B
Take it to almost any shop and they can Tac weld a nut or Allen socket on.

option B is faster but A is a good skill to have after the research and application. Plus more tools.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,130 Posts
gonna need alot more info as post is a tad confusing on initial read...is the bolt able to be removed? broken off? threads inside goobered up?
if the later, there are things called helicoils that "might" work.
The other quick option would be to move to the very next size up in a drill n tap and hope you have enough meat, without interference to simply go up in fastener size. Finally, if the part can be removed and have the hole welded up and redrilled /taped. again, without more specific info, this is my back of napkin suggestions.
best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. I had just buggered up the threads. I made a thread chaser with an extra bolt chased the threads up real nice and did a better job lining everything up the second time. Tragedy averted. Diff is in and torqued down. (Sigh Of relief)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just one thing to say about easi-outs / stud extractors. Don't!

If you've snapped your half-inch dia bolt, why would drilling a hole up the middle and screwing a harder, more brittle, easier to snap 1/4" or 3/8" dia thing work? When it snaps, you now have the harder steel of the extractor stuck in there - which your HSS drill you used to drill the hole it is in will not touch.

Either drill it out fully, to the tapping drill size, and pick the metal out, if you can get the drill centered - or take it somewhere that can, BEFORE you really **** it up and cause more expense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just one thing to say about easi-outs / stud extractors. Don't!

If you've snapped your half-inch dia bolt, why would drilling a hole up the middle and screwing a harder, more brittle, easier to snap 1/4" or 3/8" dia thing work? When it snaps, you now have the harder steel of the extractor stuck in there - which your HSS drill you used to drill the hole it is in will not touch.

Either drill it out fully, to the tapping drill size, and pick the metal out, if you can get the drill centered - or take it somewhere that can, BEFORE you really **** it up and cause more expense.
Not sure where everyone got that I had snapped a bolt off. I would have said I snapped a bolt off. Lol. I cross threaded the bolt in about half way. Screwed the threads up to start. Guess I need to get better at telling the story. 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts