Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is everybody placing front component xovers. is there room in the door and if so where? I'm installing focal component speakers in my factory door speaker location. Tweets on A-pillar. trying to figure out where to place the xovers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
957 Posts
There's plenty of space inside the doors if that works good for you. If you're amping them, then you could install them closer to the amp and run separate sets of wires to the components.

Reactions: carpediem

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
For my $0.02, i would try and NOT place the xovers in the door but rather, inside the car. Reasons you may ask? Constant thud of the door every time it opens and closes and all of the extra vibration from the audio drivers.

Close to the amp would be a good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For my $0.02, i would try and NOT place the xovers in the door but rather, inside the car. Reasons you may ask? Constant thud of the door every time it opens and closes and all of the extra vibration from the audio drivers.

Close to the amp would be a good idea.

Any concerns with separation, i.e. distance from components. Amp is in trunk.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Any concerns with separation, i.e. distance from components. Amp is in trunk.

If you're talking about the distance from each driver to the crossover, then no. Electric energy in a conductor travels at a very high fraction of the speed of light (~0.9c). No need to worry about it causing any kind of signal delay because of the length of your wire runs. If one wrapped around the world, you'd still be pretty good, but there would be a slight delay of about 133 milliseconds.

If you're talking about the distance from each driver to the listener, then yes. Path length differences will make a very noticeable difference to your resulting sound. A common refrain in the car audio installation field is to keep the tweeter on plane with the woofer, and within 1 foot of each other. In reality that's not entirely necessary, but its safe. One effect you run into with separating them is comb filtering, which causes constructive and destructive wave interference which is frequency dependant. Another is time alignment problems. I'll spare you the details.

You can take corrective actions to minimize this behavior by using things like time alignment processing in an actively amplified system, or phase inversion (polarity reversal) in a passive system like you have. Basically, hook everything up as instructed with the drivers installed where they're going to be installed. Then flip the positive and negative wires on the tweeter on one side and see if it sounds better. Then flip the positive and negative wires on the other tweeter and see if it sounds better. Keep flipping the polarities on each driver until the sound appears to be coming from in front of you, and preferably from a central location on the dashboard. This is an "old school" trick before the days of active processing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you've talked me into it. I spent the afternoon switching the xovers to the trunk next to amp. I feel better about it. once I get everything hooked up, I'll try those things you suggested. I installed the focal k2 tweeters in the top of the door. (Focal's manual suggests that option (with a couple of others). From everything I've read about Focal' tweeters, they can be bright ( sounded great in sound room). different people have different ideas but it seems like the prevailing view is to face them at each other. I guess I can experiment with that as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts