Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
West Coast Challengers treated its members to a private tour aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, a Nimitz class, active duty, nuclear aircraft carrier. It couldn't have been a more perfect day for a cruise down the coast to San Diego. Not a cloud in the sky. The aircraft carrier itself is magnificent and we were fortunate enough to be allowed aboard. I shot well over 200 pictures. We'll be posting them up soon in our club photo gallery.

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Simply awesome day!

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
What an incredible day that was. The carrier tour was truely a memory of a lifetime.

I'd like to extend a very sincere thanks to all of our members, their families and guests, that helped make the tour the success that it was. I hope that everyone had a good time. I know my wife and I did.

I'd like to extend a HUGE "thank you" to Rattler249, and the US Navy, for providing this opportunity for all of us to cherish. WTG Rattler!

I can't wait to see the pictures and video once they are approved and then posted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
536 Posts
What an awesome cruise that would have been. Its truly amazing to see our ships up close and the power they possess.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
We're still waiting for the United States Navy/Homeland Security to approve our pictures and the video that we all took on Saturday. There were areas inside, and outside, of the carrier where photography was prohibited, for obvious reasons.

Once we get the ok, this thread is going to get busy. :thumbsup:

We're hoping to have our answer by as late as Wednesday. :bigthumb:

And believe me, pictures won't do justice vs. seeing it for yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the best 100 pictures that were released and posted them up.

See: Photo Gallery of Events || West Coast Challengers || So. Cal. Car Club

Here is a panoramic shot of West Coast Challengers posing with the USS Ronald Reagan (click to enlarge).

Enjoy.

Thanks again for coming. We hope you all had great time. Stay tuned for more exciting events such as this that are already in the works for the club!!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I am glad you all had a good time and while I can't make the next five months of fun, I will be thinking of all of you ,:disgust: you know what they say Freedom an't free and so I will be keeping the peace around the world and as your Vice Prez I will be working in the back ground from afar:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
I know that you guys are leaving today, so please stay safe. :thumbsup:

We'll be here for ya when you get back. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts

Parked in our "Missing Man Formation," a 9th Challenger was with us that day but was unable to enter the base because he was a last minute addition and couldn't be cleared for access by Naval Security. :(

I think what most people will associate this Super Carrier with is the recent rescue of the cruise ship, The Carnival Splendor, that was stranded off of the coast of Mexico last November. The Cruise Ship Splendor was nicknamed, "The Spam Boat" shortly after the rescue because the Navy helicoptered cases of Spam and bottled water onto the cruise ship. The funny thing is, none of the crew that we spoke with that day said that they didn't even know they had "Spam" onboard to donate, lol!

Click HERE to read that story.

West Coast Challengers Picture Gallery of the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan Super Carrier

Here are some Fun Facts of the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan; (Courtesy of pre73)

Awarded: December 8, 1994
Keel laid: February 12, 1998
Launched: March 5, 2001
Commissioned: July 12, 2003
Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va.
Propulsion System: two nuclear reactors
Main Engines: four
Propellers: four
Blades on each Propeller: five
Aircraft elevators: four
Catapults: four
Arresting gear cables: three
Length, overall: 1,092 feet (332.85 meters)
Flight Deck Width: 257 feet (78.34 meters)
Area of flight deck: about 4.5 acres
Beam: 134 feet (40.84 meters)
Draft: 38,4 feet (11.7 meters)
Displacement: approx. 100,000 tons full load
Speed: 30+ knots
Planes: approx. 85
Crew: Ship: approx. 3,200 Air Wing: 2,480
Armament: two Mk 29 NATO Sea Sparrow launchers, two Rolling Airframe Missile (RAM) Systems
Homeport: San Diego, Calif.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....if anyone ever has the opportunity to get aboard this latest class of carrier and look around, DO IT!!! I was fortunate enough to get a private tour a couple of years back while it was in port (friend of my sister knew the commander). He took us all around the ship and it was truly amazing. ....truly a memory of a lifetime as you said Greg. The kids received hats and additional patches which was really a neat finish to the day.

We then toured the USS Midway immediately after. ....you can really appreciate a ship like the Reagan after that. ;)

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I had a great time in SD, Rattler 249! I wish you a safe voyage, and my deepest respects for fighting for our Freedom! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts