Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the gas station yesterday in my SRT 392 when this just happened to pull up next to me. Not quite in restored shape, but perfectly functional and the body appeared solid. After talking to the owner I found out it's a '73, and has a 440 stroked out to 505, 3.23 rear gears, and an automatic 727 with a Gear Vendors OD kit. And man this thing was LOUD. I don't know what it is about the old school muscle but they just seem louder than the new muscle, regardless of exhaust (unless you have straight pipes). And the engines sound a lot more raw.

Seeing this next to my car also impressed upon me just how much larger the modern Challenger is compared to the old E-bodies. Granted, that has certain advantages, but I think it would be badass if Dodge brought out a modern rendition of the Barracuda, and just made it smaller and lighter than the Challenger, closer to the original. I know that horse has been beat to death on this forum and I know it's not going to happen, but, a guy can dream.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,731 Posts
Reminds me of the time I saw a 1972 challenger when I needed some parts at Advance Auto Parts. Pulled up next to him with my 2015 and caught up with the owner in the store. I was smitten by his ride and asked him about it. He could not say it was for sale fast enough. Apparently he was sick of working on it as he commented that he's been buy parts just about every weekend during the summer. Still I love the look of the classics...just don't want the mechanical problems associated with them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
New muscle just doesn't have the same sound as the old muscle. My '10 R/T with a Flowmaster cat back sounds good, but just doesn't sound like my old '72 340 with Flowmasters did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"I think it would be badass if Dodge brought out a modern rendition of the Barracuda, and just made it smaller and lighter than the Challenger, closer to the original."
Doesn't that seem like a logical step if they ever go to a FCA platform - like they've been saving the Plymouth series?

·
Super Moderator
13,677 Posts
The Challenger is a muscle car and not a pony car. Dodge was able to get it into production quickly and cheaper by using the Charger chassis, shortened by only 3 inches. Look at this comparison between the 1970 and 2008 models. Also, watch the designer video.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Whatever happened to your '72?
That much power and a teen don't mix. Got it when I was 17 and shortly before I turned 20 I wrapped her around a power pole at well north of 100. Black ice and high speeds don't work. I'm very lucky to have survived and barely injured.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That much power and a teen don't mix. Got it when I was 17 and shortly before I turned 20 I wrapped her around a power pole at well north of 100. Black ice and high speeds don't work. I'm very lucky to have survived and barely injured.....
Holy shit, I'm very surprised you walked away from that one. Your guardian angel is going to want to have a word with you when your time finally comes!

·
Super Moderator
15,023 Posts
there's a few factors - old engines have fixed cam timing vs. the modern VVT engines - it changes the pitch / tone of the exhaust

that '73 Barracuda the OP mentioned is pretty far away from what any stock engines in the day sounded like vs. something modified.

Modern cars have exhaust that has cats / mid muffler / resonator so there's more devices in the exhaust that will attenuate sound

older models had mufflers and some applications also had rear resonators as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there's a few factors - old engines have fixed cam timing vs. the modern VVT engines - it changes the pitch / tone of the exhaust

that '73 Barracuda the OP mentioned is pretty far away from what any stock engines in the day sounded like vs. something modified.

Modern cars have exhaust that has cats / mid muffler / resonator so there's more devices in the exhaust that will attenuate sound

older models had mufflers and some applications also had rear resonators as well.
That all makes sense

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
201 Posts
My dad has a 70 ‘Cuda he did a complete nut and bolt, frame-off restoration on. Took about 9 years cause he wanted to use as much of the original car as he could and restore it to factory. I don’t know a lot of the details but I know it’s the 440, 4 speed and all matching numbers. He had it bored out but then got nervous he’d blow the original engine, so bought another engine to “have fun” with lol. Anyway, it’s a sick ride for sure. He’s never had it dyno’d but estimates he’s putting about 550 ish power to the rear wheels.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad has a 70 ‘Cuda he did a complete nut and bolt, frame-off restoration on. Took about 9 years cause he wanted to use as much of the original car as he could and restore it to factory. I don’t know a lot of the details but I know it’s the 440, 4 speed and all matching numbers. He had it bored out but then got nervous he’d blow the original engine, so bought another engine to “have fun” with lol. Anyway, it’s a sick ride for sure. He’s never had it dyno’d but estimates he’s putting about 550 ish power to the rear wheels. View attachment 986951
God that's badass...and these old E bodies were only around 3400-3600 pounds, I bet that thing ran like hell and would maybe even give a Hellcat a run for its money.

My dad had a '71 Coronet with a well built 440 long before I was born, and when I was very young he had a '74 Charger with a well built 360 in it. Loved riding to kindergarten in that car, I miss it...

·
Registered
645 Posts
There has been rumors for years that they were going to have barracuda either as a replacement or new car on a new platform. I wonder if that will ever happen. Maybe once Challenger sales fall? They seem to be milking the classic look since they brought it back for 12+ years now. Safety regulations effect how it would look. Too bad it doesn't have all that shiny metal? on the outside nowadays don't know if it's a weight thing or safety. I see them on trucks though

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Seeing the old Cuda reminds you that what we buy today, while faithful to the look, is still pretty much incapable of as good an appearance overall.

Big and Bloated.......lines still too influenced in the wind tunnel and safety consideration put all new cars at a serious disadvantage.

Today Dodge can build 'em to be fast, fuel efficient and safe to point no one would have thought possible in 1970 but that clean really good look it's just not there today.

New car is demonstratively better........but it'll just never be so cool and good looking again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seeing the old Cuda reminds you that what we buy today, while faithful to the look, is still pretty much incapable of as good an appearance overall.

Big and Bloated.......lines still too influenced in the wind tunnel and safety consideration put all new cars at a serious disadvantage.

Today Dodge can build 'em to be fast, fuel efficient and safe to point no one would have thought possible in 1970 but that clean really good look it's just not there today.

New car is demonstratively better........but it'll just never be so cool and good looking again.
Yeaaahhhh...I'd take my SRT over anything else comparable to it on the road right now, but I wish they could make something that looks even closer to the original.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
The old cars can be turned into anything a lot easier than the new cars. It could have been an original slant six car and parts to convert it to anything up to and including a blown 572 Hemi can be found and sourced new. You could even do a Gen III hemi.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The old cars can be turned into anything a lot easier than the new cars. It could have been an original slant six car and parts to convert it to anything up to and including a blown 572 Hemi can be found and sourced new. You could even do a Gen III hemi.
Yeah, that is also true.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
201 Posts
Idk, I think given all the obstacles that new cars have to overcome, dodge has done a pretty good job of designing the Challenger. Obviously there’s nothing like the classic designs, but it’s not really fair to compare them to modern day. They had much more freedom back then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts