Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,833 Posts
On June 17, 2014, FCA Chrysler was cleared by the USPTO to trademark ’Cuda and Barracuda, but in order to do so, the names would have to be used on a product in interstate commerce, according to Allpar. What that means is there needed to be some motor vehicle, trim piece, badge, or part bearing those names.

It’s clear that, right now, there’s neither a ’Cuda or Barracuda on the road, so every six months, FCA Chrysler must file an extension to hold their place on trademarking the names. This is important to ensure that no other outside party can effectively steal the nameplate from FCA Chrysler and withhold it from the automaker.
FCA Chrysler Secures U.S. Patent Office Extension on ?Cuda Name, Fumbles Barracuda Name - Hot Rod Network

A Guy

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
So this may herald a new muscle car in the next few years?
It is possible, sure. The future of the Chrysler 300 is in doubt and there will be a new set of Alfa chassis based cars coming out in 2021 so could be room for another car to be built at Brampton.

Or it could just be a renewal to protect the name and rights, FCA continues to make money from the name and licensing in merchandising, i.e., T-shirts, models, hot wheels, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
If they don't renew the trademark - someone else can assume it and then that party owns it.

Much like copyrights - they'll expire and if the original holder doesn't keep up the copyright, someone else can claim it or its public domain after that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,833 Posts
Exactly, that's why I posted the article from 2015. They will do that every time they must to keep it for themselves. Not saying they will never make a Cuda, but just renewing doesn't mean it's imminent.

A Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts