Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
This issue is interesting to me because I've never noticed the cup holder, as far as it being in my way.
I've used it a few times for my insulated cup and have been glad it's there. I never use the cup holders in the console because it gets in the way of shifting
I don't know if the one in the door has ever come into contact with my leg. I'm 6'1". Now that I've read this, it'll probably be all in my way tomorrow!
That's a bottle holder, it is clearly marked no cups. You will void your warranty doing reckless S like that! :surprise:

·
Registered
515 Posts
No offense but you must have VERY large calf's.......I'm 6"0, 235 but only a 30" inseam so short legs, maybe that's why I don't notice it?
Everyone sits different, I am a bigger guy with bigger calfs, but it hits right on the bone for me it feels like. I'm sure it bothers some averaged size people as well,

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I'm 6'2" and the door cup holder doesn't get in my way.

The one thing I will say about it though, is if you have an undersized bottle of water in there(16 oz.) and make a sharp left hand turn...The bottle will come over and hit your leg and scare the $hit out of you. :surprise:

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,329 Posts
Forget the hammer idea. Just give me 15 seconds with my SAWZALL and a 12 inch flexible blade...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
11 months in, and this is still working for me. Hasn't fallen off or degraded. Might be getting a little flat, maybe replace at 1 year.
Is that a hunk of hose insulation or what is it??

In my few hours of ownership, it's my only real complaint.

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Thanks! That cupholder's location has to be the dumbest idea ever. It rubs directly on the left side of my leg, just below my knee. The only position I can put the seat in where it doesn't bug me is if I put it way closer to the steering wheel than I ever want to be. Shades of my sister, the first "close driver" I ever saw.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I called my friends with a '17 and '18 Challengers this morning, it was too late to call last night to ask them about why I never noticed the cupholder when I drove their cars. They both said the same thing, "A heat gun and a piece of wood!". They did it almost immediately after they got their cars, so it was fixed by the time I drove them.

I went to Lowes when I got off work this morning and bought a hunk of 1/2" foam pipe insulation. I cut a hunk of it a little oversized and put it over the edge, and it is better, but hardly a cure. Because it's jammed in, there is no adhesive needed so it's totally reversible. If you can't survive with the ones in the console, too bad.

I don't know who would have approved the thing in the first place, but he should be canned. I'm really tempted to go and borrow my friend's heat gun and soften it up and flatten it. No loss, since I will never use it anyway. I know some people, including my friend, will cry about doing this to a day old car, but a 25 mile ride this morning was great, except for the cupholder, even with the foam on it, rubbing my leg. I even put a kneesock on to see what that did. Nothing at all. I cannot find a seat position that is comfortable without the cupholder bugging me.
If they would have been smart about it, they would have cut a slot that an OPTIONAL cupholder would lock into. Problem eliminated.

Holy CRAP, I just looked to see what a new panel costs. Insane.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,856 Posts
Never touched mine with my leg...never. I guess it's all about height (I'm 5'10")

A Guy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just giving my opinion - I'm 6' and the cup holder has never bothered me; I'll be first to say I'm glad that cup holder is there, all the interior compartments are perfect for me, The door panel cup holder gets my Poland spring water bottle, the cup holders in the middle are for my keys and cigarettes, and the slot next to the shifter is for my iphone. Kudos to Dodge!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Manspreading? Oh yeah, that's a lot of it, but that's the only way I'm comfortable sitting in a car, or anywhere else, I'm not a little guy and I would say my legs are spread at about a 45 degree angle. I don't know how anyone can sit comfortably any other way. Even trying will make my messed up back even worse than it is. I was 6'1" at one point, but my back issues have me at 5'10.5" now.

Well anyway, a 45 minute ride after I posted the last thing pushed me to "get radical" with it. Looking at my leg this morning, it's obvious it's going to have a blister if it continues. I have a little spot that's all red and rubbed pretty raw from only 5 hours or so in the car, and I don't wear shorts and had on kneesocks for about half that time. I found a guy locally who had a perfect door panel from his '17 wrecked car that he would sell me for $250 if this went badly. I went over to a friend's house and we used two heat guns, one aimed inside the holder and one outside, keeping them moving all the time. The inside of the holder did "sweat" fairly quickly, but it took a while to get the plastic to the point it softened up enough to allow us to press a hunk of wood up against it to flatten it out. After we did, it was a LOT better, but still not enough, so another go with the heat guns will happen today or tomorrow. I went over and looked at one of the friend's cars it had been done to already, and talking to him a few minutes ago confirmed the "lip" of the holder had to be recessed/concave to make it angled like this \ (Not that much) because the panel angle has to pretty much match the angle of your leg, and only then would the problem be solved. He uses the former cup/bottle holder to store pens and markers in, so it's not totally useless..

The friend who helped me with the heat guns is 6'3" and doesn't feel the cupholder, but his 5'8" wife got in and instantly said, "Oh, I know what you're complaining about, it hurts my leg!".

I find it hard to believe that someone at FCA didn't speak up and say, "Hey, that bottle holder in the door annoys the crap out of me!". It would have been so simple to make a slot that an add on holder could have fit into and the panel would have been flat and avoided this. Oh well, I had to change the angle of the front seat in two previous vehicles, so a little plastic deformation is an easy thing to do compared to that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I manspread like no ones business. But one reason I do, is that my size 15 feet are not that easy to keep upright under there, they almost lay on their outer edges which pushes my leg toward that area, my thigh and knee are touching the armrest (briefly thought about putting an extra pad on that to push my whole leg back a bit.

Not about height or weight, all about stance it seems. Still not a great placement.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I called my friends with a '17 and '18 Challengers this morning, it was too late to call last night to ask them about why I never noticed the cupholder when I drove their cars. They both said the same thing, "A heat gun and a piece of wood!". They did it almost immediately after they got their cars, so it was fixed by the time I drove them.

Could you get us a couple of pics of their modification?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well, it's probably going to be easier to just post pics of mine when it's all done. It's going to be really hot again, so I will probably wait a few days, but it's not all that risky, if you don't get in a hurry.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts