Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stupidly curb rashed the wheels today while parking. It was kinda curved up top, first time I curbed my wheels. First time it happened someone at the dealership did it but I fixed that. This time I hurt my car myself. Weird I didn't really notice it, not sure if I wasn't paying attention or really gotta work on my curb parking when it's not straight or something

I was meaning to fix my wheels when my wheel weights flew off and scratched up part of my wheels a year ago. I guess now that I have a very nasty one I'm going to go get it fixed tomorrow. They did a good job last time, this time it's a lot deeper. I think they would just put material to fill in the void smooth it out and the paint it or something right? They worked a miracle last time. As long as they can fix it i'll be happy. It's like $120 to fix two wheels one from a year ago and one from today.

I was wondering if I hit a curb where my wheels get scrapped if it means I need to do an alignment? I'm sure i've hit my tires before on the curb but this is the first time curbing the wheels myself. Not sure how hard it would need to hit to need an alignment :/
Wheel Tire Grille Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Grille

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
You scraped the curb you didn’t bash a curb so I’d say no need for an alignment. It happened so put it behind you and don’t let it bother you. It sure beats saying you crashed the car. Post up the after pictures.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Based on my experience I would say no If you were only parking the car. If you were driving at speed, I'd say yes. They want $210 to fix one wheel around here. I bought FCA wheel touch up paint and am trying to live with it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,741 Posts
Gloss black wheels, not too hard to repair

Not perfect, but you can't see it unless right up close to it. I didn't want to sand more to blend the edges when it's almost imperceptible

Some tape, some sand paper, some black spray paint and some polish...and some time

A Guy

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gloss black wheels, not too hard to repair
View attachment 1013639
View attachment 1013640
View attachment 1013641
Not perfect, but you can't see it unless right up close to it. I didn't want to sand more to blend the edges when it's almost imperceptible

Some tape, some sand paper, some black spray paint and some polish...and some time

A Guy
I feel mine was sort of deep. Not sure how many coats will really fill in the divot. I think i'll leave it to the wheel pros since they did a great job last time and it's not too invasive of a job. I don't think they need to lift the car or keep it long. I'm not sure if they just fill in the divot with a filler then sand and paint it and blend. Not sure what color I should tell them the wheels are. Is it like matte or gloss? I think it's like maybe satin black 2017 Hellcat wheels. Don't know if they just key it and paint it. I don't even notice where they fixed the wheels last time so they did a good job.

*edit:

Looking at my window sticker I think they are called:

Low-Gloss Black Forged Wheels

They aren't super shiny and they look kind of matte. Not sure if I need to describe it to the wheel guy or if he should be able to clean the wheels a bit and match it by sight. No idea how they do it but they seem to do a good job. I know cars have paint code for what about wheel codes for the paint?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they might possibly remove the wheels so I want to be safe and ready to point them where to lift or jack stand the car to avoid damage.

You guys have a link or a quick recap of where the points are for where to lift car up with a floor jack and where to place jack stands?

Is it directly under the triangle thing for both floor jack and jack stands? Is there a triangle thing in the front and rear?

What is that zl1 lift point add on for? And the cylinder puck looking thing in the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,446 Posts
You probably don't need an alignment. But here are for four signs that you need one:
  1. Your car pulls in one direction or the other. To test this, drive at 50 mph on a level road and briefly take your hands off the steering wheel. The car should track straight. If it wanders to the right or left, you need an alignment.
  2. After the miles pile up, you will notice abnormal tire wear in certain spots.
  3. The car's handling feels loose.
  4. Your steering wheel doesn’t return to center: After you complete a turn, the steering wheel should naturally start to return to center on it’s own as you keep driving.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
That looks to be a pretty "substantial" hit.

Just to be sure the alignment is ok I'd get the alignment checked.

My experience with other cars is in one case I cut a turn too sharp and just caught the side wall of the tire against the curb. The bulging sidewall -- as sort of a wheel protector -- took the "impact" and the wheel was unharmed. There was no real damage to the sidewall. Since the tires were worn down close to needing replacement I decided to just drive the car. I don't recall the car manifesting any signs of an alignment issue -- or I would have had the car for an alignment -- but when I had the tires replaced I had an alignment done and the alignment found that the wheel alignment on that wheel was off. The brush of the sidewall of the tire was enough.

In another case I pulled a car too far into a parking space and just bumped the front tires against a sidewalk. Really it was a slight impact. No signs of any alignment issues. Both tires contacted the edge simultaneously.

Drove several hundred miles with no issues. Then on a fast freeway (posted for 80mph) I heard a whine that I swore was wheel bearing noise. Took the car to a shop. Tech checked the car and pointed out the front tires were showing abnormal wear. The tread blocks showed signs of some bit of scrubbing and I could feel the block edges were feathered. The bump of the curb was enough to affect as it turned out toe.

My advice is I'd check the alignment just to be sure. Tires are too expensive to wear out unnecessarily and incorrect alignment can have tires gone -- in my experience -- in around 8K miles. (On this particular car with proper alignment tire life was 20K+ miles.)

I then would remind myself to be very careful when pulling along side a curb. Really I avoid parallel parking like the plague and when I do parallel park tend to leave a bit of a space between the car and the curb. And when pulling into a parking space. Most of the time my car noses are low enough the nose (splitter/air dam) will contact the curb first but I use the curb line and the bottom edge of the mirror to judge how close the nose of the car is to the curb to avoid contacting the curb at all so tires are seldom at risk. But in the case I mentioned above there was no curb just a sidewalk edge and I misjudged distance -- it was late and I was tired after a long day of driving -- and allowed the tires to contact the sidewalk edge.

Most of the time I will back into a parking space. This lets me use the back up camera to get the car into the space quite a ways -- so the front of the car is not sticking out -- and yet avoid bumping the curb with the rear tires or any part of the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts