Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who cried like a baby the first time your new car popped the curb? It just happened to me. At least it was only the front wheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel your pain. I got a little misty eyed when a double tractor trailer (I-81 VA) sent a rock at my windshield like a 50 caliber bullet.

Everything can be repaired. This vehicle is a joy to drive. I won't leave it covered in bubble wrap in my garage.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

Didn't cry, but got upset/concerned when the car in front of me spit out a tractor trailer tire caucus doing 80 down I-75 near Tampa, surprisingly it only left a few marks on the splitter, unlike the Charger behind me whose splitter and bumper bowed upwards in the middle. Thought for sure mine was going to be the same or worse, got lucky.

End of the day sh!t happens, hopefully you didn't do too much damage,

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
970 Posts
While detailing the car a couple days ago I discovered a small rash on one of the wheels. There were also small marks of the tire. Don't remember hitting a curb but apparently I did, I have to look hard to find it. Also have a couple of small paint chips from stones hitting the car. Worst was when I needed to repaint the front fascia because some idiot hit it with a truck. Best not to get worked up over this sort of think because sh&^ is going to happen regardless of how careful you are.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used it as an excuse to get new wheels so I could put 315s on the rear.
315s. Wow, thats crazy big. I have 305s all around. I’m not looking forward to when its time to replace them. However, i may just go up to 315s so i can have something else to complain about. I was looking on YouTube and and repairing the curb rash really isn’t that difficult. It just takes a little time, is all.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
315s. Wow, thats crazy big. I have 305s all around. I’m not looking forward to when its time to replace them. However, i may just go up to 315s so i can have something else to complain about. I was looking on YouTube and and repairing the curb rash really isn’t that difficult. It just takes a little time, is all.
315's on rear and 245's on the front lol

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Scat Pack
39 Posts
Happened to me just a few weeks ago, curb stuck out an odd angle around a sharp turn. Didn’t cry since my first concern was getting a flat... new OEM wheel and tire and will now carry a full size spare...

·
Registered
19 Challenger R/T Destroyer Gray
170 Posts
When the car was new, wifey contemplating driving it, asked what would happen if she curbed it. I said I'll kill you. She still hasn't driven the car. :ROFLMAO:
And I traded her car in to get it. LOL
Don't worry, we're still married. :p

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Isn't this inevitable? Or is there some kind of protective cover or seal that goes over rim to protect it?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Unfortunately, if you drive it, it's almost inevitable. The tire really doesn't protect the rim from the side.

I rashed mine at the GD car wash at 10 days old. The tire guide in the touchless bay of all things.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Unfortunately, if you drive it, it's almost inevitable. The tire really doesn't protect the rim from the side.

I rashed mine at the GD car wash at 10 days old. The tire guide in the touchless bay of all things.

DeWFPo
hEY 10 years isn't bad pretty long time. I know I have seen red striping that covers the rim of wheels unless that is some type of decorative rather than protective device on wheel rim.
The factory Goodyear tires on my car actually had rim protectors on the rim of tire that protected wheel from minor bumps into the curb and that was 15 years ago. You would think by now there would be something any kind of device out there known to help prevent this curb rash.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Isn't this inevitable? Or is there some kind of protective cover or seal that goes over rim to protect it?
There are some tires that have a protective rib that helps to prevent damage to the wheel

·
Registered
#6 of 80 Mopar '17 Challenger
109 Posts
Cried??? Not quite.
I ordered a 2001 Dakota R/T forever ago. Coming home from the dealership, my wife said she was gonna drive it home from dinner. Pulling away from the parking spot, she hopped the f-ing curb. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Fast fwd to my Challenger, she still hasn't asked to drive it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Cried??? Not quite.
I ordered a 2001 Dakota R/T forever ago. Coming home from the dealership, my wife said she was gonna drive it home from dinner. Pulling away from the parking spot, she hopped the f-ing curb. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Fast fwd to my Challenger, she still hasn't asked to drive it.
(y)Problem solved(y) as far as the wife goes.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
I have a set of Rimsavers on mine.

I never curbed a rim before until these 20" wheels. The Rimsavers will take the hit, instead of the rim. If you damage the Rimsaver bad enough, you can replace it far cheaper than getting a new rim, or getting it repaired. There are different colors available, so you can get black or silver to make them less obvious depending on your rim color. I went with red.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
970 Posts
This discussion inspired me to fix the small curb rash on one wheel today. Easy fix.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Never curbed a wheel EVER, back into a tree yes. Back into the mailbox sure.

FYI, I live in a state of no curbs !!! ROFL

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have a set of Rimsavers on mine.

I never curbed a rim before until these 20" wheels. The Rimsavers will take the hit, instead of the rim. If you damage the Rimsaver bad enough, you can replace it far cheaper than getting a new rim, or getting it repaired. There are different colors available, so you can get black or silver to make them less obvious depending on your rim color. I went with red. View attachment 1010145
Yes I have seen these and are exactly what I mentioned earlier. Where can you get these?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts