Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curing Exhaust Drone — Fatmat Rattletrap

I have long tubes, high-flow cats, and a Borla ATAK (all 3”) so exhaust noise is annoying. I love the loud exhaust when I’m on it, but hate the drone when I’m cruising.

Today I installed a trunk kit from Fatmat on their Rattletrap line. The price is extremely good ($65 shipped and they include a roller and a utility knife) compared to Dynamat, which I have used before too (about double the price retail, and you have to buy the roller and knife separately).

I like getting a separate utility knife because the asphalt gets stuck to it, so nice to just toss it when you’re done and not worry. Also it snaps razor blades, I lost a couple on this job.

I used the entire roll — about 22 sq. ft. — and could have used another 15-20 sq. ft. easily. I did the entire spare tire well, up the sides of the fenders and the rear parts of the wheel wells, and then (what I think is very important for this job) did the entire space of the rear bumper (minus the vents) as well. Didn’t have any left to do the trunk lid or the wide open space between the trunk and back seat, which is probably not as important.

End result — drone is down significantly and it is a much easier car to live with on the highway. It’s amazing how there is practically no sound deadening from the rear seats back in these cars!! I literally found a plastic bag with two pieces of foam that the “engineers” at Dodge put in the passenger wheel well corner for sound deafening. With a car this big I’m not worried about the weight gain, but it makes it much easier to live with. I would suggest ordering about 50 sq. ft. if you want full coverage for the entire trunk, lid, and space up to the back seats.

Highly recommend doing this for exhaust drone!

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
I have long tubes, high-flow cats, and a Borla ATAK (all 3”) so exhaust noise is annoying. I love the loud exhaust when I’m on it, but hate the drone when I’m cruising.

Today I installed a trunk kit from Fatmat on their Rattletrap line. The price is extremely good ($65 shipped and they include a roller and a utility knife) compared to Dynamat, which I have used before too (about double the price retail, and you have to buy the roller and knife separately).

I like getting a separate utility knife because the asphalt gets stuck to it, so nice to just toss it when you’re done and not worry. Also it snaps razor blades, I lost a couple on this job.

I used the entire roll — about 22 sq. ft. — and could have used another 15-20 sq. ft. easily. I did the entire spare tire well, up the sides of the fenders and the rear parts of the wheel wells, and then (what I think is very important for this job) did the entire space of the rear bumper (minus the vents) as well. Didn’t have any left to do the trunk lid or the wide open space between the trunk and back seat, which is probably not as important.

End result — drone is down significantly and it is a much easier car to live with on the highway. It’s amazing how there is practically no sound deadening from the rear seats back in these cars!! I literally found a plastic bag with two pieces of foam that the “engineers” at Dodge put in the passenger wheel well corner for sound deafening. With a car this big I’m not worried about the weight gain, but it makes it much easier to live with. I would suggest ordering about 50 sq. ft. if you want full coverage for the entire trunk, lid, and space up to the back seats.

Highly recommend doing this for exhaust drone!

I just recently went with the cat delete on my stock exhaust and the noise level is pretty bad at 70 plus mph. I think Im going to remove my stock mufflers and add some longer Magnaflows to take the bite of the noise level. I do love the sound at the drag strip tho!!

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
The auto trans plays a big factor in this issue, with a manual you can easily drive around that rpm zone. Unless you’re under acceleration you hear that sound that drills right through your brain. I’ve been in friends cars that do that and don’t drive with them as it gets old very fast. Hope you get it sorted out to you satisfaction.

Reactions: SKULLNUTZ

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just took the wife for a ride and she approves! The Fatmat Rattletrap definitely took care of the drone. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks for the post. I like to read these kinds of posts now and then, reminds me to never touch my exhaust ever again. I've changed every exhaust on every car I've ever had except my 2015 SRT, and I'll never change this one. I did all the things you did on yours to quiet down the drone on previous cars. I'm surprised my wife is still married to me with some of the noise I made her listen to.

But now, I listen to other peoples exhaust and go, that's nice, but not for me anymore. I had a Solo exhaust on my 2011 SRT that lasted exactly 3 weeks. Sounded great at first and initially thought, no drone. Then I drove it to work and back a few times. That was all it took to realize I had gotten old and no longer liked that loud sound pounding in my head. Exhaust is still sitting in basement. Probably should get rid of it. Oh well. Thanks again for the post. Nice to know I'm not the only one who made their cars louder, and then tried to figure out how to make it quieter. But I understand the need to do it.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
I thought solo had the j tubes like a trombone to alter the sound and eliminate drone.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I thought solo had the j tubes like a trombone to alter the sound and eliminate drone.
That's what I thought when I bought them. And even on my initial test drive cruising around on a Saturday thought they sounded great. Then I drove in bumper to bumper suburban traffic for 3 weeks and found out differently. I've had louder exhausts, and maybe I'm just getting older and don't want to live with that type of sound anymore, but it just wasn't for me. Others love them. There is an exhaust for everyone.

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
You are aware that you can unbolt the j-tubes and adjust their length to change the drone/pitch? It’s not a one size fits all install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts