Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does gumout, lucas oil or any of those products that say they clean injectors actually work or the ones that say they boost octane work

thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
No... check the MSDS sheets to see what is in them.... Most of the cleaners are mostly kerosene and/or naphtha. Wal Mart provides the MSDS sheet for anything they sell. Check them out Here.

The only thing I have found that is any good is Techron and SeaFoam.

I have tested everything know to man in my RV (496 ci Chevy) and it didn't make 1 iota difference except for less money in my wallet.

As for octane boosters I will leave that for someone else as I have never used them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Techron is soso and expensive.Seafoam is a one shot deal and if like all the smoke, use it. The one I found that works the best is Berryman B-12, also at $2.97 is the least expensive. It cleaned not only the injectors on my vette but the contacts on the dual fuel guage.It took a double dose but my guage never failed again.Sold it 18 months after my guage quit while on a road trip, the perfect time to not know how much fuel you have left.I add a can to my Challenger about every four fill ups or 1200 miles.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Berryman B-12 is:
40-50% Toulene (laquer thinner)
20-30% Methanol
20-30% Acetone

No differnet than the rest of them.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I may get shot for this but Octane boosters for street usage are not worth it. OMG I see them coming for me now.. LOL
I couldn't agree more.... Being that our engines are computer controlled and unless there is a dual fuel table that the system can switch to once the higher octane is sensed is $$$ down the drain.

You best bet is to buy a tuner, run the tank to empty and fill with 93 octane, update the tune and go for it. If you don't want to pay for 93 octane reload the stock tune.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Torco will bump oct. msds shows 61% is oil. Aces 4 gives what im looking four. I use there quantum blue oil also. Look for yourself. Over in LX forum they called snake oil onthe aces 4 and the oil, since then, they had to eat there words.
FT

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is a lot of good info on Bobistheoilguy.com.

Techron has the chemical PEA, which is supposed to be the best cleaner out there. However, some others have PEA such as Gumout Regane (but not regular Gumout). Someone on that site pulled up the MSDSs for a lot of different brands and listed the PEA content of each. Gumout Regane didn't have the most, but it was up there and was the cheapest one that had a good percentage. I think of these as preventative maintenance. I use something (currently Gumout Regane) at every oil change. About ever other, or every third, I'll Seafoam the intake via vacuum hose and clean off the throttle body with something like spray Seafoam. For the extra $5 an oil change, I figure it can't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.