Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Curse Ye Motorheads

~ Scrappy protest delivers on the car-alarm symphony, but not...alas, the auto show shutdown ~​

As large flakes of snow began to descend from the sky just after noon and thousands of car-lookers made their way into the McCormick Place auto showroom, a few dozen bike-borne protestors huddled outside in the plaza in front of the convention center’s Cermak Street entrance. Loosely aligned as a Critical Mass offshoot, they’d gathered at downtown’s Daley Plaza an hour before and ridden over en masse with one simple mission: to shut down the auto show.​

Though car-show attendee traffic remained light at the second protest site, some contact was made. Steve Lane, a biking advocate wearing a black suit adorned with a line of checkered yellow road paint and stuffed representations of a road-killed cat and a road-killed dog, yelled out a warning about global warming to a man leaving in a black Ford F-150.

"Do you want to trade that bike for my truck?" the man responded.

"Not a chance," Lane called back.

Inside, the dissent didn’t seem to have made much of a dent in the enthusiasm of the car show. Throngs of people, cars on turntables, eager auto showmen, and live radio broadcasts combined to create an undeniably exciting buzz on the floor.

Though some carmakers’ displays did include nods to the environmentally concerned, the biggest crowds collected elsewhere. Only four people, for instance, stood under a 100-foot-long inflatable ear of corn to hear a presentation on Chevrolet’s E85 Avalanche, a puggish automobile halfway between an SUV and a pickup that will use corn-derived ethanol as its primary fuel. Even within the relatively narrow category of corn-oil-related attractions, E85 was not the most popular: nearby, six people stood in line at one of the car show’s least popular food stalls, waiting to order deep-fried churros.

In fact, the largest crowd was in the Dodge section of the floor, where a raised turntable displayed an electric orange Challenger, a concept car still only in speculative production that will replace the Dodge Charger as the American manufacturer’s most intimidating retro-styled muscle car. With a fierce looking grille, a neon red tracer light surrounding the model name, and lines reminiscent of the Gen. E. Lee from "Dukes of Hazzard," the whole thing resembled the automotive equivalent of a clenched fist. At a break in the velvet rope surrounding the platform, members of the crowd lined up to have their picture taken with the Challenger by a Dodge employee.

"Do you know what the top-speed’s projected to be?" one observer asked the Challenger’s presenter, a long-legged, middle-aged blonde in a black pantsuit adorned with rhinestones.

She smiled and answered immediately: "174 miles an hour."

"How about the gas mileage?" he followed up, but received only a blank stare in return.

"No," the woman said. "I have no idea."

Read More here

Source: Chicago Journal
02/15/06 - 10pm
By Max Brooks - Contributing Writer

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
In fact, the largest crowd was in the Dodge section of the floor, where a raised turntable displayed an electric orange Challenger, a concept car still only in speculative production that will replace the Dodge Charger as the American manufacturer’s most intimidating retro-styled muscle car. With a fierce looking grille, a neon red tracer light surrounding the model name, and lines reminiscent of the Gen. E. Lee from "Dukes of Hazzard," the whole thing resembled the automotive equivalent of a clenched fist.
Thanks DJ, very interesting stuff....I especially like this part that the challenger will replace the charger as "The American manufacturer's most intimidating retro-styled muscle car.";) :D ...DCX,...don't mess this design up,...stay true to the concept this time.;)......as far as the protests,....what can I say,...Lie-berals on the loose again:eek: ,...like I mention in several other posts in the past...its just a matter of time,...buy them while you can!;) :cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 300C SRT-8 gets 14 MPG City - 20 MPG Highway. I'd expect the 6.1 Challenger to get around the same, maybe a little better if they can make it lighter.

Stupid Protesters. They can complain all they want but America will never give up its love for big cars & trucks. Detroit is simply giving people what they want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Personally, I can understand both sides of the debate; as I'm sure many here can whether you're a "liberal" or "conservative". Personally, I'm a centrist. But I digress; I'm not here to get on a soapbox.

All I can say is I've done my time driving a 4-banger and motorcycle for the last 10 years. If anything, I've earned the right for my 6.1 V8!! Come on Dodge, don't let me down! ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
The sad thing is even with the Challenger in full production mode it will produce far less pollution than the v8 SUV armada that outnumbers it 30:1 on the roads and highways. Musclecars are just easy targets for people who like their world in black & white.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mike Penner said:
The sad thing is even with the Challenger in full production mode it will produce far less pollution than the v8 SUV armada that outnumbers it 30:1 on the roads and highways. Musclecars are just easy targets for people who like their world in black & white.
Yes it is. It's the bad boy rep from the 70's that muscle and ponycars are gas guzzlers cheaply made for teenage boys and men, a huge ineffcient motor in a small car.

Todays musclecars are much better on gas, produce less emissions and are just as fast or faster than the old cars to boot. Those tree hugging lamers who want everyone to drive a 4 cylinder hybrid econobox, take the bus/subway, or ride a bike to work (in the snow) have never driven a musclecar and found out how much fun they are! :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mike Penner said:
You got that right Mike!....Heck we don't even have an official "Go" on our challengers yet,....and they're(protesters) already going after it,...like bees on a honey buttered bear butt!:eek: :rolleyes: :p

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Mr.DJ said:

In fact, the largest crowd was in the Dodge section of the floor, where a raised turntable displayed an electric orange Challenger, a concept car still only in speculative production that will replace the Dodge Charger as the American manufacturer’s most intimidating retro-styled muscle car. With a fierce looking grille, a neon red tracer light surrounding the model name, and lines reminiscent of the Gen. E. Lee from "Dukes of Hazzard," the whole thing resembled the automotive equivalent of a clenched fist. At a break in the velvet rope surrounding the platform, members of the crowd lined up to have their picture taken with the Challenger by a Dodge employee.

"Do you know what the top-speed’s projected to be?" one observer asked the Challenger’s presenter, a long-legged, middle-aged blonde in a black pantsuit adorned with rhinestones.

She smiled and answered immediately: "174 miles an hour."
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
PhantomR/T said:
who cares about gas milage with a v8?
Yeah, most people know when they buy a V8 they're gonna have to pay more for gas, but (like my mom) feel more confident having a powerful V8 under the hood.

Nobody's twisting anyones arm to make you buy a V8, but nobody should keep Detroit from making them.

I hope that DCX does make a Challenger with a V-6. It should get 19 city/27 highway like the Charger does. The slant six in the 70's Challengers couldnt get mileage like that.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
WildBillTX said:
I hope that DCX does make a Challenger with a V-6. It should get 19 city/27 highway like the Charger does. The slant six in the 70's Challengers couldnt get mileage like that.
Says who? I've seen slant 6s getting about 25mpg!?!?!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
You got that right Mike!....Heck we don't even have an official "Go" on our challengers yet,....and they're(protesters) already going after it,...like bees on a honey buttered bear butt!:eek: :rolleyes: :p
Their not protesting the challenger specifically, they were just protesting the auto show.
I doubt they would have cared if the challenger hadnt been there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ND RAM said:
Says who? I've seen slant 6s getting about 25mpg!?!?!
Yeah but can a bone stock (70's era) 1-barrel Slant 6 go 0-60 around 8 seconds like a 2005 3.5 V-6 Charger can?

Slant 6's are great engines, too bad Chrysler didnt try installing a fuel injector system on it (like Jeep did with the Power Tech 4.0) before they killed it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
WildBillTX said:
Yeah but can a bone stock (70's era) 1-barrel Slant 6 go 0-60 around 8 seconds like a 2005 3.5 V-6 Charger can?

Slant 6's are great engines, too bad Chrysler didnt try installing a fuel injector system on it (like Jeep did with the Power Tech 4.0) before they killed it.
god.. are the V6s that slow? lol.. I'm spoiled..

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
WildBillTX said:

No a STOCK slant 6 can't but I've seen a few turning some insanly fast times for a little 225cid motor.:eek:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts