Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been toying with the idea of a 5.7 build. Thinking of picking up a low mile 2009/10 R/T Auto and have been tossing around ideas..

I see that PWR offers a custom VVT cam grind with build specifics in mind. Modern Muscle offers an "off the shelf" 5.7 NA VVT cam also. The custom cam is almost twice again as much, but when going with CNC heads, ported intake manifold, headers, 2.5" or 3" exhaust..is a custom cam worth the extra time and cost? Ideally how much "more" power could a custom ground cam provide?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Custom or going with one of the COMP cams, a 5.7 will still yield pretty decent results. The COMP 274 which is supposedly hard to tune as it is, will give you anywhere between 45-55 RWHP I'd say. A custom grind from MM or the likes would still provide about the same in that range for a 5.7. For a 392, gains would be about 10-15 RWHP less roughly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Custom or going with one of the COMP cams, a 5.7 will still yield pretty decent results. The COMP 274 which is supposedly hard to tune as it is, will give you anywhere between 45-55 RWHP I'd say. A custom grind from MM or the likes would still provide about the same in that range for a 5.7. For a 392, gains would be about 10-15 RWHP less roughly.

Yeah I don't want to go too big on the cam because I don't want it to be a PITA to tune or give up low end torque. I've always had a soft spot for higher revving small blocks (IE the 340 six pack) so taking a 5.7 to 6,400 RPM and making power everywhere makes me a bit giddy.

Not sure if I want to go with LT's since it will still be a street car that may or may not have to pass a visual check for DEQ depending on where I am at the time.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah I don't want to go too big on the cam because I don't want it to be a PITA to tune or give up low end torque. I've always had a soft spot for higher revving small blocks (IE the 340 six pack) so taking a 5.7 to 6,400 RPM and making power everywhere makes me a bit giddy.

Not sure if I want to go with LT's since it will still be a street car that may or may not have to pass a visual check for DEQ depending on where I am at the time.
Get a set of SRT shorty headers then if you don't want to go long tubes. They'll provide a good gain over those crappy 5.7 manifolds for sure. Even a mild cam would provide good results though. Along with a ported intake and TB and ported heads if you wanted to go that far. That's my plan for me anyway with my 392. Staying NA is awesome!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a set of SRT shorty headers then if you don't want to go long tubes. They'll provide a good gain over those crappy 5.7 manifolds for sure. Even a mild cam would provide good results though. Along with a ported intake and TB and ported heads if you wanted to go that far. That's my plan for me anyway with my 392. Staying NA is awesome!

Yes I was considering SRT shorties or perhaps JBA Cat4Wards with catted Mid's into either a MBRP or Zoomers exhaust. Cutouts post-cat for track work

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put a supercharger on it and be done! more fun easier

I'm a bracket racer so I would prefer to stay away from FI due to heatsoak issues. My local track occasionally likes to hot lap rounds.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's easy to say, "throw a supercharger on it"... If you really want reliability with it you'll need to buy some drop in forged pistons which are 800 bucks minus labor charges. Fuel injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump setup (since you have a 5.7). All that stuff costs a lot of money. Yeah it's more bang for your buck when when you're doing a boost build with forged pistons, even with a 5000k procharger, it's still going to be a 9k build. If you go with a root/twin screen setup then add 2k more to that as those blowers are 2k more than a procharger.

I think a mild cam, short headers, ported intake and TB would be a good start for the OP. All that should net a solid 60-75 RWHP.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
We offer custom cams as well. They are the same price of all the other VVT Cams, I think you misread early 5.7 cams are less expensive. but will not work in the newer 09+ 5.7L

·
Registered
452 Posts
The answer to this questions depends on what you define as "wort it". Off the shelf cams are fine for those performing usual modifications such as headers, stall converter changes, etc. that the cam was designed around. Once you start changing intake manifolds, porting heads, stroking, boring, and changing compression ratios, a custom ground cam will net far superior results.

Custom ground cams cost slightly more than an off-the-shelf cam, but will be tailored to your specific engine combination. If you wish to go the custom ground route, you have a few options regarding the design process. You can use engine dynamometer simulation programs such as Engine Analyzer Pro, Comp Cams' Camquest (CamQuest ? Select The Perfect Camshaft & Valve Train Components), or Desktop Dyno. Nearly every camshaft manufacturer out there will supply a grind recommendation based on your specific setup through a phone call, e-mail, or online submission. You can also talk with other experienced (not arm chair) racers during the process. Take your time, do your homework! It's very easy to slap a cam together in a simulation program or order a large off-the-shelf cam, only to find lackluster results in the real world. Also error on the smaller duration side, as drive-ability, low-end torque, engine vacuum, and throttle response are all effected by the duration (both advertised and .050"), overlap, lobe separation angle, and lift. Ensure sure you have the equipment to back the cam. Larger durations and higher lift often require new (higher pressure) valve springs, headers, specific compression ratios, and higher stall converters.

When designing the solid flat tappet camshaft I'm running in my 1978 Trans Am's Pontiac 400, I used all of the resources I listed above, and dedicated over a month to simulation tests. The Engine Analyzer Pro and Desktop Dyno programs netted results within 10 hp/ft lbs of each other, and were nearly exact matches to the custom grind specs recommended by Bullet Cams. I compared these results with recommendations from camshaft grinders to find the ideal camshaft specifications before employing Comp Cams to grind the camshaft, of which I received within two weeks. Once designed, select the camshaft manufacturer of you liking. Comp Cams, Crane, Iskenderian (Isky), and Bullet have been in business longer than most on this board have been alive. They offer a great wealth of experience and can answer any questions as well.

COMP Cams - Performance Camshafts, Lifters, Valve Springs, Rocker Arms
Crane Cams | Automotive Home Page
Bulet Cams
ISKY Racing Cams - Do It Right. Race with the Legend. Camshafts, Connecting Rods, Valve Springs, Lifters

Use an off-the-shelf camshaft's specifications as a starting point for your design and go from there. You can also look through the camshaft manufacturer's master lobe catalog (such as Comp Cams' http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/CamLobeMasterCatalog.pdf) to find some profiles to work from. It's nice to see someone doing some real hot rodding here, not just plugging in a laptop. Good luck!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We offer custom cams as well. They are the same price of all the other VVT Cams, I think you misread early 5.7 cams are less expensive. but will not work in the newer 09+ 5.7L

Yeah I think I did misread.

Good to know you offer custom cams also!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought the 5.7 cam from modern muscle which has typical lift and duration for small cams available for the 5.7 hemi. Initially I was very disappointed with the results. I was told that i would get 40+ horsepower with no loss in low end torque. I gained 10 horsepower and lost 20-30 ft/lbs torque down low.

Come to find out after awhile, there were reasons I got horrible results. First the tune I paid $200 for to run the car went horribly lean after 5400 rpm going from 13:1 up to 17:1 above 6,000 rpm. The dyno sniffer did not catch this and I did not discover until I installed an innovate o2 sensor. This resulted in a false hp peak at 5,700 and with lower horsepower than I otherwise would have made.

Second with an auto you need to have your TCM reflashed to access the higher rpms where bigger cams make power. Stock my car cut out about 6,000 rpm and went into limp mode even with a raised rev limit. My engine with a correct tune up high makes peak power at 5,900 vs 5,200 for the stock cam. I got my TCM reflashed and rev limiter raised enough to shift up to 6,400 if I want(I have PSI 1511 valve springs).

With those two issues fixed, I have gained about 40 hp up top instead of the original 10.

There is going to be loss down low (below 3,500) unless you get something else to make up for it. I went with a 392 intake manifold and it recovered what I lost with the cam. Picked up 20-25 torque below 4,000 with that manifold. It's a really good mod! MM recommends getting long tube headers. I am putting a set of these on in about a month. I have the SRT8 manifolds with high flows which I though would be good enough with this cam, but maybe not. Another forum member with the exact same setup as me gained 30ft/lbs everywhere in powerband with ARH long tubes.

So with a cam you will need new springs, raised rpm limits, a good tune, and either long tube headers or the 6.4 SRV manifold to not lose low end power. This is what I found out

·
Registered
51 Posts
not trying to steal Modern Muscles thunder, just posting another option, give josh at HHP a call, he knows everything there is to know about the modern Mopars, and they always have free shipping. i dont work for HHP just sharing my .02 im actually looking at getting MM's drop in forged kit for my 6.1

·
Registered
413 Posts
not trying to steal Modern Muscles thunder, just posting another option, give josh at HHP a call, he knows everything there is to know about the modern Mopars, and they always have free shipping. i dont work for HHP just sharing my .02 im actually looking at getting MM's drop in forged kit for my 6.1

They need to fix their website, they show 2 different prices for cams within 3" of each other on the same page. I know, it shouldn't matter, but doesn't instill much confidence.

·
Registered
51 Posts
their web site has some glitches, but its better than healthcare.gov.... they are a small company 6 people that are running all of it, and they are one of the best shops around, ask anyone that has dealt with them, if you need more convincing, give emm a call and ask for josh, hes the owner and is more than friendly and patient and will talk you through anything. they are 100% professional, josh has even stayed late, past 8pm to work on a tune revision for me via email, they are dedicated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
their web site has some glitches, but its better than healthcare.gov.... they are a small company 6 people that are running all of it, and they are one of the best shops around, ask anyone that has dealt with them, if you need more convincing, give emm a call and ask for josh, hes the owner and is more than friendly and patient and will talk you through anything. they are 100% professional, josh has even stayed late, past 8pm to work on a tune revision for me via email, they are dedicated.

Dude, you have been a member here for exactly 1 year, you have a grand total of 11 posts, EIGHT of them being blatant advertisements for HHP.

REALLY??? This alone would turn many people off immediately, and will in fact get you banned from many forums.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont work for them and am in no way affiliated with them, and they are a sponsored vendor. i am just a customer of theirs and really believe they are an amazing shop. i have bought things from other companies... but they aren't sponsoring vendors... so i cant mention them. Again i have no affiliation for them at all, just giving people other options.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
17 Participants
McCloud
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing