Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
For now I would stay away from PWR on anything, they are having difficulties delivering, lots of customers having issues.....

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts
Ok. Back to the cams.
OP check around, but I thought PWR was not taking orders any longer. May want to check that. Google. and call.

Modern Muscle is active here at CT and has a good cam program.

I agree, A cam cut for the application is the way to go.

Same on the other hand many motors can benifit from a well thought out off the shelf cam in stock or mild motor thats been proven over and over to be a performer.

At any rate, cam choice is a huge factor in any motor, make the right choice.
FlatTop

·
Registered
51 Posts
Flatop is right, we all know that the cam is the mechanical brain of the engine and directly controls the sequence of events that make power. With that said, HHp works with Tony Bishoff of BES race engines, one of the best engine builders in the country. He is the one that designs their heads and cams. Just my 02

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd trust them over any one else right now simply because they currently hold the Gen 3 Hemi world record. Though I'm getting a chance to meet these guys this week maybe I'm a fan also. Hopeing to get my challenger supercharged in the near future and there the top candidate. Just because some random company that administers there website can't get a line of text right. Doesn't justify not trusting there ability when the numbers there putting down on the strip say they should be respected.

They need to fix their website, they show 2 different prices for cams within 3" of each other on the same page. I know, it shouldn't matter, but doesn't instill much confidence.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd trust them over any one else right now simply because they currently hold the Gen 3 Hemi world record. Though I'm getting a chance to meet these guys this week maybe I'm a fan also. Hopeing to get my challenger supercharged in the near future and there the top candidate. Just because some random company that administers there website can't get a line of text right. Doesn't justify not trusting there ability when the numbers there putting down on the strip say they should be respected.
I assure you Josh and his shop are nothing but professionals, they have gone out of their way multiple times for me personally, and I have never heard a negative comment about them. also josh is a veteran, so that makes me support them that much more, being in the military.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Custom Cam's are perfect when you finally say "I'm done with all mod's on the car" but if you are going to keep adding power adders, I wouldn't go custom cam until all has been finished and cam can accommodate for ALL finished car mods. Probably see better gains as well.

Although a lot claim the 274 cam is to big, it's not to big just people don't wanna deal with tuning the dang thing cause it may take more than a day or few hours to tune; especially longer through email data logging and tuning back and forth. WOT it's a beast street or track. Part throttle/ daily driving are the main hard/difficulties you run into tuning.

To each his own on the cam choice, I went with the 274 comp cam and admit it has been a PITA to tune but then again I do have patience. I believe in the whole "with Patience comes great things".

Start up/base tune got me 60rwhp alone. Pretty sure I've gained +more along the way with updated email tunes. Plus the 274 cam is very aggressive/ has a high lift and will produce great numbers when adding ported heads, supercharger, turbo, etc.

***side note: ppl shouldn't be so sensitive about pulling the "oh that will/can get you banned" trigger for someone expressing a good experience. All it makes you look like is a "shop groupie" when you hate on someone giving a good or bad experience with another shop and basing the integrity of the OP words off of the # of posts they've done online and how long they've been a member on ONE online Forumn of many out there.

What if they belong to another Forumn years before this and dealt with a shop years before they signed up? Unless that then someone would/should be banned as well by talking about another vendors website being poorly designed or not to what they expect a website should be designed like.

There's nothing wrong with someone expressing their good or bad opinion with a particular company. It's not to steer anyone away from companies, I'm sure we're all grown up and can put on big boy pants to make decisions on our own away from "internet talk" influence. It's for all those that are enthusiasts for Mopar to be aware of what options are out there but ultimately it's the buyers choice in the end.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a comp 268 in my Daytona and it was awesome, and is the base cam for a lot of the custom cams on the market, tho custom tailored cams to your specific build will always build more power, they aren't the best for the daily driver mild build.

·
Vendor
886 Posts
2010's have a much better computer system than the 09's, especially when it comes to VVT cam tuning.

We've done a bunch of 274 cams on street cars and with a decent torque converter for the track I think this is a great package. The custom grinds haven't really netted much improvement in stock bottom ends so we save the custom grinds for the built engines.

·
Vendor
886 Posts
They need to fix their website, they show 2 different prices for cams within 3" of each other on the same page. I know, it shouldn't matter, but doesn't instill much confidence.
TDK, are you referring to our website? If so, can you tell me exactly what you're looking at? Our pricing on the limiter cams, and the total packages are all inline. Compared to non-VVT camshafts, these limiter cams are more expensive cam cores and are not in the $420 price range anymore compared to older 5.7L or 6.1L cams.
Our page for Challenger R/T: Camshafts
We have a bunch of custom grinds for strokers, whether NA, Blower and Nitrous, but do not offer them on the website. These custom grinds are a lot more expensive to make and cost upwards of $850.00 compared to the off-the-shelf Comp grinds.
Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
2010's have a much better computer system than the 09's, especially when it comes to VVT cam tuning.

We've done a bunch of 274 cams on street cars and with a decent torque converter for the track I think this is a great package. The custom grinds haven't really netted much improvement in stock bottom ends so we save the custom grinds for the built engines.

So you're saying that say...a stock bottom end 5.7 with CNC heads, ported intake manifold, TB, intake, SRT shorties+mids, 3600 stall, 3.73 rear and a cat back wouldn't really need a custom grind? Something like a 270 would be best?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I would disagree but our custom cams are the same price as off the shelf ones and our customers have liked the results we have had with our cams. but I must also say the best results for the 5.7 have been with long tubes.

·
Banned
600 Posts
"The custom grinds haven't really netted much improvement in stock bottom ends so we save the custom grinds for the built engines"

A custom cam would be more geared towards a custom engine build or engines that have upgraded S/C, turbo, or engine internals (stroker, crankshaft, pistons, etc.)

With your basic mods, you can get a custom cam BUT any cam through any shop vendor will work fine, just depends on how aggressive YOU WANT to go and how much patience you have for the cam to work/be tuned with your car and mods. Just gotta find someone/ shop vendor who knows what they are doing with the tuning and have back doors to go through with any tuning/issues as well.

You will get better results with Longtubes vs. shorties regardless of cam type chosen.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I would disagree but our custom cams are the same price as off the shelf ones and our customers have liked the results we have had with our cams. but I must also say the best results for the 5.7 have been with long tubes.

No I know, and I might still go that route, legality of things does concern me because I live in DEQ testing region

·
Registered
413 Posts
TDK, are you referring to our website? If so, can you tell me exactly what you're looking at? Our pricing on the limiter cams, and the total packages are all inline. Compared to non-VVT camshafts, these limiter cams are more expensive cam cores and are not in the $420 price range anymore compared to older 5.7L or 6.1L cams.
Our page for Challenger R/T: Camshafts
We have a bunch of custom grinds for strokers, whether NA, Blower and Nitrous, but do not offer them on the website. These custom grinds are a lot more expensive to make and cost upwards of $850.00 compared to the off-the-shelf Comp grinds.
Joshua, HHP
I was looking at this page:
HHP Package: Comp Limiter Cam for 5.7/6.4

At the top in the packages section it lists the VVT cams at $749, scroll down and on the right side it lists the phaser cams for $668 . Makes a person wonder what price will be charged when you hit the "buy" button.

(Or, now that I look at it, is the $749 price with the limiter included??)
I guess that makes sense, just not real clear, because everything else is listed as an add-on.

Certainly not here to bash you or your company, I spotted this discrepency at the same time "NavySRT" had the hairs on the back of my neck raised because of his odd activities.8 of 11 posts in less than 2 days basically advertising HHP, which really wasn't doing you any favors IMO, most forums I frequent would consider it very suspicious activity).

·
Banned
600 Posts
The $668 price you see is just for the cam. The info on that page will say IT WILL REQUIRE the phase limiter. Where as the page with the $749 price is for the kit that will show the cam and phaser INCLUDED.

Make sure you read the full description/info on any part or kit provided by any vendor. As this will help a lot with your confusions and allow some thought before posting confusion online. For example w the HHP link you provided: At the bottom where it gives specs and info of the kit, it'll show included or add-on next to the listed part.

Included=the part is included in kit/pricing of the kit.

Add-ons=you'll pay on top of kit price

*its not odd activity. There are plenty out there that will recommend a shop hands down every time. nothing wrong with people giving options and experience with a reputable shop. HHP I'm sure appreciates the compliments and good experience review comments, who wouldn't?

But also sure they weren't looking or needing favors based on the reputation they have already built on there own and with how long they've been in the game for our generation hemi's, setting records, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
*its not odd activity. There are plenty out there that will recommend a shop hands down every time. nothing wrong with people giving options and experience with a good reputable shop. HHP I'm sure appreciates the compliments and good experience review comments, but also sure they weren't looking or needing favors based on the reputation they have already built on there own and how long they've been in the game for our generation hemi's, setting records, etc.

I frequently offer recomendations on products, services and companies, you'll find them on this forum. Doing 8 times in your first 11 posts in less than 2 days will get you bounced from most forums in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
600 Posts
I frequently offer recomendations on products, services and companies, you'll find them on this forum. Doing 8 times in your first 11 posts in less than 2 days will get you bounced from most forums in a heartbeat.

It's very apparent it's not your call, so just deal with comments and feedback people put out. Maybe instead of voicing it on a thread, go tell on the person to the moderators of the site and request a ban, see what they say about how ya feel on how posts go on this forum?

Sorry viper not trying to high jack your thread on custom cam vs. off shelf cams

·
Vendor
886 Posts
Our limiter package includes the phase limiter in the base price so you get a discount for starters versus purchasing them separately. We are always working on our website, it's a very labor intensive task keeping everything up to date. If anything seems out of whack, we appreciate it when customers call it to our attention. It's incredibly hard to catch every mistake.

On stock engines, I've had great luck with the off-the-shelf camshafts from Comp. By my saying that we don't get into custom camshafts on stock engines, hopefully no one wants to twist my words into me saying that I'm knocking other's custom cams. I know Dave at Modern Muscle has custom cams for stock bottom ends but I know nothing about his custom grinds nor have I tuned any of them. Dave/MM is another trusted supporting vender on this site that we (HHP) work with and have a great relationship with. You can't go wrong with either company.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry guys I understand it looks suspicious, and it does, but I am just starting to use the forum, I have been a member for a year now and used it for more of a reference for myself in deciding what I wanted to do with my car. And yes I am going to rep HHP as I have had nothing but outstanding customer service. that being said, I do respect the other shops out there and I will not detract from their parts / service.

In conclusion, this is not a flame war and I am keeping it professional on here, also alot can be said about other forum members continually reping other shops...

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
17 Participants
McCloud
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing