Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to do a bolt-on catback, but I can't justify the cost. I'm leaning towards Magnaflow mufflers, as I loved the way it sounded on my last hemi. Not sure if I should do a X pipe with two Magnaflow Magnapacks or one of those dual in/dual out Magnaflow mufflers with the built-in x pipe.

Magnaflow Magnapacks: MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Magnaflow DI/DO: MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Would one of these be better than the other or perform the same? Also any idea on any difference in volume? I want fairly loud.

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I found it was cheaper to have your local exhaust shop build a catback with the mufflers you want. I did this for under $600 for 3" cat back with dual mufflers

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I found it was cheaper to have your local exhaust shop build a catback with the mufflers you want. I did this for under $600 for 3" cat back with dual mufflers
I'm with him - I took my 2013 R/T from the dealer to Kinney's Mufflers (who does a lot of show car applications) immediately after purchasing. He made a custom stainless catback with Flomaster Super 44s, X-Pipe and reso delete for $825 out the door! Bolt-on catbacks are way "overpriced"!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was looking to do a bolt-on catback, but I can't justify the cost. I'm leaning towards Magnaflow mufflers, as I loved the way it sounded on my last hemi. Not sure if I should do a X pipe with two Magnaflow Magnapacks or one of those dual in/dual out Magnaflow mufflers with the built-in x pipe.

Magnaflow Magnapacks: MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Magnaflow DI/DO: MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Would one of these be better than the other or perform the same? Also any idea on any difference in volume? I want fairly loud.

Thanks!
Or just drop in some 4"x9"x14" or 4"x9"x11" Magnaflow mufflers in place of your resonators. Expect to pay under $200 for both mufflers and around $150 (or less) for installation.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
He made a custom stainless catback with Flomaster Super 44s, X-Pipe and reso delete for $825 out the door! Bolt-on catbacks are way "overpriced"!
Er, the Solo cat-back is actually cheaper than that and has free shipping, it's also made from mandrel-bent stainless. Unfortunately, I'd say your custom cat-back was way overpriced but if you're happy with it then who cares. :)

Even Flowmaster's own cat-back with mandrel-bent stainless is cheaper than $825, though it uses the Super 40 mufflers instead of the 44s.

Not all Challenger cat-backs are priced like Borla or Corsa, that's all.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

Thanks!
That's a tough one, the factory bottle-style mufflers on my R/T put out some good sound and it had the factory H-pipe, the problem was the drone. It was horrible.

I would probably go with the Tru-X muffler in place of the factory mufflers and H- or X-pipe, then straight-pipe where the resonators are.

You may want to look/ask around and see if either of those produce less drone than the other. You can get a loud exhaust and have no drone if done right. Good luck!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a tough one, the factory bottle-style mufflers on my R/T put out some good sound and it had the factory H-pipe, the problem was the drone. It was horrible.

I would probably go with the Tru-X muffler in place of the factory mufflers and H- or X-pipe, then straight-pipe where the resonators are.

You may want to look/ask around and see if either of those produce less drone than the other. You can get a loud exhaust and have no drone if done right. Good luck!
I'll probably go with the Tru-X muffler, as it will be a cheaper and simple installation. Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine cost 525 for 3" catback from a shop that builds exhausts for red bull racing with spintech mufflers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts