Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit 2: I'm going to be making a few for sale. After calculating all my materials and labor I can do them for 400$ + shipping & handling. You provide your own taillights or I can order some for an extra charge. Pm me to order a set.

I've been wanting to make these for a while now and finally got around to it. They're mostly inspired by the newer chargers. While I like the look of the taillights I didn't really like how they worked. Since I couldn't find any for sale in the exact way I wanted I took a shot at making my own. This is how I believe they should have come from the factory.
https://youtu.be/FgWqRR9_Ggk

Edit: There's been a lot of interest in people wanting to have these made, pm me if you're interested in purchasing a set so I can keep track of everyone if I do decide to make more for sale.

Attachments

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Damn dude, very nice.

I really like that.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Nice! It reminds me of the '06 Challenger concept tail lights.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Shut up and take my money! You knocked those out of the park! That is exactly what I've been wanting to do
to my tail lights since 2011 I just haven't sat down and tried to come up with a solution but it sure looks like
you did! Bravo!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Nice, but now you need to do LED bulbs for the instant on/off they provide. I did them on my 2010 and also did the mod to add the 4 center bulbs to the turn/brake/hazard setup. I used the replacement bulbs from JDMastar - each one is 50 watts, so when I hit the brakes, it's 400 watts of light. The matching fronts are also REALLY bright! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=aabsKF5zfwU
I actually like the combination of incandescent and LED strip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice, but now you need to do LED bulbs for the instant on/off they provide. I did them on my 2010 and also did the mod to add the 4 center bulbs to the turn/brake/hazard setup. I used the replacement bulbs from JDMastar - each one is 50 watts, so when I hit the brakes, it's 400 watts of light. The matching fronts are also REALLY bright! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=aabsKF5zfwU
My plan is to eventually change them out to led but the build was a bit expensive since I had to buy a spare set of taillights, didn't want to ruin my factory ones if it didn't come out right. How much was it to change out all 8? Did you need resistors for the hyper flash? If you can provide some links I'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
My plan is to eventually change them out to led but the build was a bit expensive since I had to buy a spare set of taillights, didn't want to ruin my factory ones if it didn't come out right. How much was it to change out all 8? Did you need resistors for the hyper flash? If you can provide some links I'd appreciate it.
The jdmastar bulbs aren't cheap but they're awesome. On Amazon they're about $30 a pair I think. I bought some 50W 6ohm resistors on Amazon as well. They don't fit well behind the lamp assembly though, so I'm going to replace them. I have 2 1/8" copper plates that are 4x5". I'm going to bend a lip on one side so I can screw them down inside the trunk (there is a brace behind the back wheel that will point them inside the 1/4 panel), then run 2 resistors in series and wire it into the harness inside the trunk. It will be cleaner that way and deal with the heat better.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Like I said on your YT vid I'll gladly take the #1 spot if you want to sell a pair. I would even be ok with just
buying the electronics pre laid out if you didn't feel like hacking another set of lights apart, I could do that
on my own. Either way I want this done to my car! :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,136 Posts
Those look Great!

I think that they add a more updated look to your Challenger! It reminds me of the new Chargers and even a Durango with the "Racetrack" look to them!

Very Nicely done! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts