Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting around waiting for the custom order capability for the 2014 RT to be available in my dealers system, and wanted to ask if there are any tips or tricks, do's and don'ts with regards to a custom order. I've never ordered a vehicle before, and would appreciate any inside knowledge you have to share.

I've already determined I am ordering a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, Granite Crystal Metallic, Dark interior (although I'm tempted by the red), Manual transmission, UConnect 730N, Harman Kardon, Super Track Pack, interior appearance, 20 inch polished classic II wheels, and sunroof.

What are the inside secrets I need to tell my dealer to make sure everything is done correctly? Are there any extras that I should include , or things I should avoid and do myself later? Any parts of the process I need to watch out for?

My understanding of how it works: I meet with the dealer, he creates a build sheet based on my requirements, I pay a small deposit and then wait. The build goes into the system, I can see the status online, but eventually the vehicle gets delivered and I go pay for it and drive it home.

What does the build sheet look like? Will it make sense? Will I be confident that the options listed match what I requested? Can I do the paperwork before it arrives at the dealer?

Thanks for any insights you can give me.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Hola
2014 ordering has been open for months, not sure they are telling you. Dodge has a vehicle locator, I bet you can find this car online ready to go. Looks like a nice set of options. The interior appearance group seems overpriced for what it is, you can find the sill plates for $50 on eBay.

The process is correct, you pay a small deposit that you can get back if you decide not to accept the car.

Go through the build on the dodge site, make sure you look at all the possibilities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
The dealer can give you a print out and a confirmation # from VOTS (their internal system w/ Chrysler). Once the order is received and confirmed that the codes selected are correct, then a confirmation # is issued towards that order:

It will have a Vehicle Order Number (VON) which precedes the VIN which is assigned when you get to do D status and once you get to D1 status the estimated build date will appear (dealer can look this up...).

It will list out the model, colors, and option codes for equipment spec'd.

Also - the default stripe color is matte black, so if you for example decided on Radar Red/dark slate gray interior for example, you could also go with alternate stripe colors (you can order Red or White color (gloss finish with red or white) stripes if you decided to go that route) beyond the standard matte black.

the key codes you'll look for

27M = (R/T Classic 6-speed manual) [std. equipment on V8]
PAU = Granite Crystal Metallic
Interior Dark Slate Gray = EJDV (default int. color)
Interior Radar Red = EJDR
DEC = 6-speed manual
EZC = 5.7 Hemi (non MDS)
ACX = Mopar Interior Appearance Grp
AMA = HK Audio Group
AWD = Super Track Pack
RHR = MC 730N
GWA =Power Moon Roof
WHD = Polished Classic Wheels
TVH = 245/40ZR20 Performance Tires (part of STP pkg)

Stripes:
M2L = Red Dual Side Stripes
M2M = White Dual Side Stripes

The items in BOLD are the optional items at extra cost, except for the stripe colors or interior colors...those are selectable at no extra cost.

Std equipment on your 6-speed R/T Classic:

AFC = Electronics Convenience Grp (EVIC, alarm, 4wheel TPMS)
LMP = Hid Headlamps
DSA = Anti-spin differential, 3.91 ratio
XAA = Rear Parking Sensors
RSP = Uconnect w/ voice control
RSC = SiriusXM Sat Radio

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
The ordering process is as you described and what others have mentioned. After the order is placed and you get your VIN (I had mine in about a week), you will see all options ordered for the car when you log into the VON system. My car came as ordered.

BTW, I was not even required to place a deposit when I ordered. I would not complete the paperwork until the car arrives and you have a chance to inspect it.

I would also rethink the HK audio group. I listened to it and compared it to the sound group II and couldn't tell a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
If you haven't placed the order yet, I'd change two things:

Get the 430N instead of the 730N. I've owned both. Unless you will be using the traffic updates often (and paying for it after the first-year trial subscription runs out), the 430N has the vast majority of the same features (yes, including voice recognition), has a LOT better interface and is much easier to use --and pocket the $500

I'd skip the Harman-Kardon. All it does is take up under-floor trunk space and amplify bass distortion --and pocket the $2,000. I removed the cheap Harman-Kardon "boom box" in my car to mount a spare tire kit instead. The difference in the audio sound quality is NEGLIGIBLE and not worth $2,000 --not even worth $200 IMO.

Depending where you live, the $2,500 you save on those two items alone will pay for your tax and license.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It is hard to get carried away on the options!

I say if you want all that stuff and you think you have to have it, then go for it but, also look at the "Core" unit you can save $6000.00 and get a bad ass car without all the "high dollar" factory "trinkets" (except for the sun roof and even that is questionable)
All I know is that if I could have eleminated the radio, I would of I've turn it on once when I first got it just to make sure that it worked have not turned it on since I deleted my resonators and had some big ass tail pipe installed! Just listening to my exhaust is music to my ears! All the rest is BS, but to each their own.
Just Saying!
David

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the previous feedback. I didn't hear back from my local dealer, and been doing more research in the mean time and picked up the phone and called a dealer out of state with a family connection. They're going to start assembling my order, checking inventory, and look at the current timeframe if we custom order immediately.

Here is what I sent over to them:

2014 Dodge Challenger SRT8
· Powertrain: V8, HEMI, 6.4 Liter [ESG], Automatic 5-Speed [DGJ]
· Exterior: Granite Crystal Metallic [PAU]
· Interior: Dark Slate Gray [ULDV]
· Package: Quick Order Package [22X]
· Package: Appearance Group [ACX]
· Option: Radio Equipment, Uconnect 730N [RHR] or Uconnect 430N [RHB]
· Exterior: Stripes, Red Dual Center [M22] or Silver [M2Q] or Black
· Wheels: Black Vapor Chrome Aluminum [WSJ]
· Tires: P245/45ZR20 Front & P255/45ZR20 Rear Performance [TTX]

Thanks for the feedback on the audio choices. I'd love to have the Harman Kardon system, but the value for me isn't there right now compared to other things. So I decided to take the value of that and the sunroof and upgrade to the SRT8.

I'm pretty excited.

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
My advice would be to buy it reasonably locally so you can have a relationship for service. Yes they must service any Dodge under warranty you bring them but they can play games like "we are busy bring it in next week".
You called your local dealer? Get in the car, drive to that dealer, walk in and ask for the general manager, tell him you wanted to factory order a car and got crickets chirping as a response. The other choice is have him locate an already built car. Also say you were told it wasn't yet possible to order a 2014 and it was a lie.
Service is MORE IMPORTANT than saving a few dollars on the sale.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I'd love to have the Harman Kardon system, but the value for me isn't there right now compared to other things. So I decided to take the value of that and the sunroof and upgrade to the SRT8.

I'm pretty excited.
Excellent choice! You will not regret it.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
My advice would be to buy it reasonably locally so you can have a relationship for service. Yes they must service any Dodge under warranty you bring them but they can play games like "we are busy bring it in next week".
You called your local dealer? Get in the car, drive to that dealer, walk in and ask for the general manager, tell him you wanted to factory order a car and got crickets chirping as a response. The other choice is have him locate an already built car. Also say you were told it wasn't yet possible to order a 2014 and it was a lie.
Service is MORE IMPORTANT than saving a few dollars on the sale.
One does not preclude the other IMO. I have a 10-year relationship with my dealer's Service and Parts Depts. but I still have to buy one vehicle from them.

While I know the dealer owners and all the managers, trust them to service my vehicles and buy parts and accessories from them, I've tried to buy a vehicle there a few times but their Sales Dept. just doesn't do it for me.

Having said that, depending where the OP lives, it could be a b*tch to bring a car from out of state: I purchased my 392 in Colorado last month and took me four weeks to complete the vehicle inspection, the smog test, tax collection and the title transfer to be able to register the car in California.

I realize California is more onerous than most states, but the OP should find out what he will be getting into before bringing a car from out of state.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^^^ did you buy your car used from a private party?

Also, sales and service are separate deparments; buy your car where you get the best deal and service it where you get the best service. IMO, I'd always much rather have a good relationship with the service folks than she sales ones...

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
^^^ did you buy your car used from a private party?

Also, sales and service are separate deparments; buy your car where you get the best deal and service it where you get the best service. IMO, I'd always much rather have a good relationship with the service folks than she sales ones...
Yes they are, I don't know why many here can't find both in the same building. It's not that hard, I've done it with a few brands now and am on my 38th new car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts