Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been mulling over and searching classifieds/dealer sites for a challenger. Everything that strikes my interest is 1000 miles or more away. My question is, I’ve never done the whole order thing, but I think that’s the way to go. What is the process? Is it as simple as going to the local dealer and saying I want to order a car? What are the pros and cons that you all have experienced? Was there addition cost in the process? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
193 Posts
For me, yes it was very easy and very fun. But I also have a family member that works for my dealer. Basically I sat down right next to the sales manager and built my '18 Challenger TA 392 on his dealernet system. It is very cool and you get the exact car you want with all the exact options and colors and you don't have to compromise on anything. You also don't have to worry about getting a car that was dealer traded from 300+ miles away. For me, I bought the car at $100 over the dealer cost (that's the policy with having a family member working there) and at the time of delivery there was a $1200 rebate on '18's (this was back in November) and I had also received a $500 Dodge owner loyalty coupon. This can lead to the downside of ordering though. Other than any rebates available at the time of delivery (not the time of order placed) you may not be able to haggle much on the price of the car. This apparently differs allot from dealer to dealer. My advice is to definitely order especially for a car like this. It's a fun and exciting process and the icing on the cake is that your name is printed at the top of the window sticker. I think though that at this point heading into mid May that the ordering window for an '18 will be closing soon. Production usually ends in June and then '19 production starts usually in August.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’ve been mulling over and searching classifieds/dealer sites for a challenger. Everything that strikes my interest is 1000 miles or more away. My question is, I’ve never done the whole order thing, but I think that’s the way to go. What is the process? Is it as simple as going to the local dealer and saying I want to order a car? What are the pros and cons that you all have experienced? Was there addition cost in the process? Thanks in advance!

I emailed several dealers in the area and simply asked each for a quote to order a specific configuration. Most replied with a range of quotes, about $2k difference between lowest to highest. I preferred dealer X but their quote was a fair bit higher than the low bidder, so I asked if they were willing to match and they did. Went in, signed the purchase order, did a $500 deposit, and then just wait a month or two.

There is no cost at all, but note that incentives are applied at time of delivery, not order. So the $2250 in rebates available now might go down by the time the car shows up.

I’ve ordered three vehicles this way and wouldn’t do it any other way if you have the time to wait. It makes it so much easier to compete identical dealer quotes without having to worry about what they might have on their lot. Also, you don’t end up having to settle for options that aren’t exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
The year is coming to a close in the auto industry, the incentives will go up or stay the same, they won’t go down. I’m looking for a new pickup and the incentives are getting even better.
Go order the car, you’ll be happy you did when it shows up with your name on the sticker and exactly as you wanted it.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
doesn't cost anything extra. Most dealers will try to sell you a car on their lot or do a dealer trade as either way nets them a sale of their stock. With that said find a dealer you want and go in and order it. Some are more competent than others when doing so. Shouldn't be a problem right now but I would ask to make sure they have allocation for what you are ordering. If they don't have allocation you could be waiting for a while. Also keep in mind incentives will be whats at delivery not whats going on right now. Sports cars I always order new for myself.
Think I waited 28 days from order till I drove it off the lot.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
It may or may not be the way to go depending on how the vendor strike goes, it could be quite a wait

·
Registered
959 Posts
Its very easy and doesn't cost anything. Pick your dealer, stop in, configure your car, takes about 10 minutes, maybe pay a deposit, then wait for it to show up.

For me (I ordered my scat), the only con was the wait.

The biggest pro is that the window sticker will have your name on it.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Search on here for posts from member "ResumeSpeed" for the model year you want. This is the one he did for the 2015s: 2015 Challenger Information

Typically he includes in the post retail and dealer pricing; this is invaluable as it allows you to know exactly what you want to pay.

Ordering is as easy or as hard as you let it become. The more you know going in as to exactly what you want, the faster it will be. DO NOT rely on a dealer's salesman to know ANYTHING ...odds are they won't. YOU have to know what options there are, and what they cost.

If you create your own build sheet based on ResumeSpeed's post, you can be in and out in under 30 minutes...I was.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Its very easy and doesn't cost anything. Pick your dealer, stop in, configure your car, takes about 10 minutes, maybe pay a deposit, then wait for it to show up.

For me (I ordered my scat), the only con was the wait.

The biggest pro is that the window sticker will have your name on it.
Not always. Mine usually has the dealers names on the stickers when I have ordered.

·
Premium Member
2016 Challenger R/T
210 Posts
I placed a custom Order and the dealer gave me 4k off MSRP plus rebates ...so they will deal on a custom order

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I placed a custom Order and the dealer gave me 4k off MSRP plus rebates ...so they will deal on a custom order
YES!! good point. think I was about the same car MSRP was almost 43 paid almost 38 before taxes. Never ever pay over INVOICE, invoice is your starting point in negotiations. Rebates and so forth typically isn't the dealer giving you the deal its the factory, make the dealer throw some skin in the game. Typically a dealer will never go 3% below invoice, sometimes but is rare.

When you deal make the dealer show you the invoice sheet, if they don't balk and want out. And don't let them say we paid invoice, not true. Easiest way to figure out what to pay is get MSRP, which is on the sticker, and then get invoice price. Take the MSRP multiply by 3%, then subtract that number from invoice. Example 40k MSRP x .03%= $1200. Invoice is 37-1200, dealer paid $35,800 for the car, you should pay between $35,800 and 37 for the car, AND THEN subtract rebates. Don't let them get you on this game of seeing were giving you x amount off. Take your time and do the math and understand what they are doing. The very last thing in the world you want to do is tell a salesman you want to pay x per month, cardinal sin right there. Have idea in your head what you want to pay, and research interest rates in your head for different amounts.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
One of the most important points about ordering a car, is having/finding a "good" dealer.

I'm lucky, as my dealer is small, and I have a good relationship with them. I ordered my '16 Scat Pack when the order banks opened the first day, in August of '15.

They called me and said, '16 order banks are open, and come on in. I knew exactly what I wanted, sat down with the GM of the dealership, and placed the order for invoice pricing. Took 15 minutes. Could have argued them down on pricing, but they take very good care of me when needed, and I don't mind making them a few extra bucks for running such a great dealership.

More importantly, the take great care of my car when it's in the dealership.

FWIW, my name was printed on the window sticker. Zero regrets ordering a new Challenger exactly the way I wanted it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. Truly a wealth of knowledge I sent an email to several local dealerships. So far I have received only one response. I have attached the order page that the sales manager sent be. What are your thoughts on it?

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Truly a wealth of knowledge I sent an email to several local dealerships. So far I have received only one response. I have attached the order page that the sales manager sent be. What are your thoughts on it?

Yep, that’s the sheet. Does it match the options you wanted? Did they also quote you a price? You should easily be able to get a price below the invoice before applying incentives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There wasn’t much more than this quote and a similar quote with the A8, since I forgot to specify I wanted the M6. No other costs, other than the the numbers on the sheet. Am I correct in thinking that the EP at the bottom would be Estimated Price.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
Ok, now on the preview order you posted earlier it should now be a Sold Order with your name and address at the bottom. Needs to say sold order and not dealer order. It should also have a VON at the top, your VIN will probably come Monday. Your dealer needs to print out and give you a copy of this POC and check to make sure everything is correct. Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts