Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its time for the next mod I've been a big fan of the old school side exhaust problem is there is only one company that makes one.

2009-10 Challenger 3.5L 2.5" True Dual Catback Exhaust

Problem is I only found one video to see how they sound and its kind of not that great. So I went to a local muffler shop that's highly rated for doing one off custom designs. So far after talking to them the plan is to semi replicate the above design but using Magnaflow mufflers instead of the turbo mufflers that the stainlessworks guys use. Hopefully it ends up sounding better then stock with some minor performance improvents since this mod will be removing both the stock bottle mufflers and resonators. My only real concern is ground clearance since I have the STP and the car sits a bit lower then stock on the 20's. After doing a bit of test fitment the other day I'll have roughly 5 inches of clearance from the bottom of the exhaust tip. The only other issue will be coming up with a way to mod or swap out the rear valance. I have yet to find a after market solution that doesn't have the dual cut outs. I've thought about using an SE valance as the single muffler cut out is pretty minor. If anyone has attempted something like this or knows of a product for the valance I'd be glad to hear about it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Cervinis in NJ made a side exhaust kit - I think they stopped but you can check.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I checked it never saw the light of day past some prototype stuff. I was interested in the rear valance covers but I can't even find a screen shot. If I do the mod I'll need some way of covering the double exhaust holes in that lower valance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
After I saw your post looked into it - I e-mailed them asking for a picture showing fitment. If I go with it I would make a new rear valance/diffuser out of sheet metal.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya at this point the idea is kind of on hold really not to keen on 4 inches of clearance. Maybe if I was running some kind of air suspension setup and I could raise the car to gain the extra clearance when needed. Though that gets away from what the Challenger is for me at this point will probly just do a reso delete and add in some flowmaster 44's and call it a day maybe put on some of the double tips instead. Sometimes you get caught up in the moment, this is why I take a lot of time thinking out crazy ideas like this to make sure I'm 100% on board with it. I love the look, but the practicality of it just isn't there on a lowered car with the STP.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Didn't know there was one to be honest but that sounds like just cut outs not an actual visual side exhaust system? Ok so I looked at some pictures of it and ya it looks to be a side exhaust much like the Steelworks system that I was using as the frame work for my custom built one here locally. That has the same issue I'm worried about with the ground clearance I know I can get in and out of my drive way without issue. Its those random parking bumps most of them wouldn't be an issue, with exception to some of the old style that are really high. The other issue I'm wrestling with is the unknown sound factor. This being a completely custom exhaust would be magnaflow's for the mid bottle mufflers and then some near 180 bends to get the pipes to the side exhaust position. One issue I was concerned about and really know next to nothing on is will this be enough back pressure. Also does it matter that the distance the pipe runs will be shorter then the full length exhaust at the rear. Probably over thinking all of this, but I wan't to be sure I'm not going to regret the decision.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If it is a true side exit exhaust I can about guarantee that you will not be happy with the exhaust sound outcome. You will with windows down be hearing primarily the sound from the left engine bank. Also having experience with the matter from my first gen. it will drag and jounce off of what would seemingly be minor road irregularities. It will look cool, but cool soon wears off and will be replaced by functionality.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've been saving up for this side exhaust and hopefully will be ordering it in a couple of months.... from what I've found online it has good reviews and sounds good from the clips I've come across.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah, the sound on the only clip you can find here of a Hemi with the side exhaust honestly sounds terrible. That's part of my concern not sure what the problem is but it just sounds terrible while hes getting on the throttle. I was hopeing this was more because of the turbo mufflers that stainlessworks uses and the magnaflows would sound better more natural.

44 Secs into the video tell me that's this specific exhaust and not how all side exhaust are going to sound if so I'm 100% not going to do this lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts