Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to be organized, and my trunk is no exception. I don’t drag around a ton of stuff in my Challenger, but needed a place to neatly tuck some cleaning supplies, a few rags, roll of paper towels, etc.

But, looking on-line and in stores, I couldn’t find anything that really worked for me. Things I found were either “one-size-fits-all” products, or really just boxes of one sort or another.

So, I decided to design my own system a few weeks ago and try it out. I wanted something that looked like it could have been a factory accessory. Also, it needed to optimize the underutilized trunk areas, while still not dominating the main trunk area. This is what I came up with:

I tried to get a decent match to the factory trunk liner material and came “close”. I’m sure with more searching, I could probably find a dead-on match.

I built a set for each side of the trunk, and fabricated the substrate out of some 1/8” plywood I had on hand. 3M spray adhesive bonds the fabric (found on Amazon) to the substrate, along with the Velcro strips used to hold everything in place in the trunk.

So far, this has worked out very well, and I’m pleased with the results. Note that as a bonus, the spare tire cover still opens without removing the organizer panels.

All this to say, I don’t know if anyone else has done something similar, or better for that matter. Also, wondering if there’s any interest out there for these. I might be persuaded to fab up a few more sets for forum members to buy, or simply make my patterns available so folks can make up their own.

I’m sure lots of talented people can whip these up easily, and I know lots of you build speaker enclosures, etc., which are way more challenging than this little project.

Cheers!

JD

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
nice job!

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
457 Posts
This is really cool and something I've been looking for myself. I'd be interested if you decided to make a few more available for purchase.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I like it! Keeps things from rolling around and if you have a jump box or something you would know right were it is because you know you will need it the one time your trunk is loaded.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
Just to be aware, to sell anything beyond a one time part type thing, you'd need to be a vendor. Not to be a downer, but our Vendors pay to sell their wares on the forum. Sharing the plans is of course OK

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,514 Posts
Just to be aware, to sell anything beyond a one time part type thing, you'd need to be a vendor. Not to be a downer, but our Vendors pay to sell their wares on the forum. Sharing the plans is of course OK

A Guy
Grinch.

Maybe he could partner with one of our vendors so they could make 5% on his labor.

BTW did you make one for the passenger side too?

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice, great work! Would you mind providing the Amazon link to the material you used?
Here's the link for the cover material I used:

As I said, it's an "okay" match. You can probably find something better at a local upholstery house, etc.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grinch.

Maybe he could partner with one of our vendors so they could make 5% on his labor.

BTW did you make one for the passenger side too?
I made a panel for both sides. They are identical except for the covering being reversed. Also, I only ended up using one divider because I store longer items (paper towels, wheel brush, etc.) on the RH side.

Due to my limited time, I'm not really too interested on making these in bulk. Plus, as stated, it's against the rules here. Not sure if any "legitimate" vendors here would be interested in working with me on these, but if so, I'd be willing to listen. Obviously, these aren't patented, so they'd be easy to knock off. If I did decide to make/sell them on my own, I'd likely just start by posting craigslist ads.

But I'm happy to get my plans out there for anyone who wants to tackle the project themselves. It's not hard; just takes a little time. Honestly, the bulk of the time was developing the patterns so that everything works and fits right. The actual "making" goes pretty quickly if you have a few tools laying around.

I'll go back and dig out my patterns and get them presentable. I literally taped grocery sacks together to make the patterns, so they need to be transcribed on to something a little nicer so they photograph better.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to communicate these digitally? I suppose I can take the patterns to a FedEx Office when finished and have them scanned?

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments; I appreciate it. I've had these in place since June, and they really have worked out well. I wanted to make sure they weren't flawed before posting anything on here.

Again, the motivation here isn't to start a business, but just to share something that I found useful, that can hopefully help out some of the other members here. I'll pull out the patterns and get started over the holidays. I actually have a few days off!

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
#6 of 80 Mopar '17 Challenger
109 Posts
You could duplicate your patterns on cardboard or paper. Write all of your measurements along each edge and line. Take pictures of them and post.

To say this looks perfect for our cars is the least I can say. I have been looking for something to straighten out the trunk as well. I only keep my car cover in there, but when I go to shows or rallys I need to take some supplies.

So I'm in, post plans so I can share in your joy or I'm interested in pricing for a set.

Again, AWESOME JOB!!!!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nicely done. I really like this sort of stuff. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
2016 Plum Crazy R/T
13 Posts
I also would love to make / buy one of these if you post the plans or put them up for sale somewhere

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You could duplicate your patterns on cardboard or paper. Write all of your measurements along each edge and line. Take pictures of them and post.

To say this looks perfect for our cars is the least I can say. I have been looking for something to straighten out the trunk as well. I only keep my car cover in there, but when I go to shows or rallys I need to take some supplies.

So I'm in, post plans so I can share in your joy or I'm interested in pricing for a set.

Again, AWESOME JOB!!!!!
A dimensioned photo would work pretty well except for the reverse curve area at the rear of the main panel. Below was the only real area that took a little time to get fitted correctly so there were no gaps:

The cover pattern is really just the substrate pattern with extra added for the edge wrapping, and the Velcro flaps.

I'll start with a sketch of the substrate pattern, and post it up so everyone can see if it's adequate to replicate these. But since I have the full patterns developed, I figured it would be easiest for everyone to just print them, trim them out, transfer to the materials, and cut to the lines.

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
19 Challenger R/T Destroyer Gray
170 Posts
Nice idea. You could draw the pattern out full size in illustrator and save to a pdf. User can print out on 11x17, or legal size if they fit.

I did something similar with the back-compartment on my colorado pickup, posted how-to, materials, and dimensions on the owners forum - the third post was asking me to make them one. I've shipped over a hundred of them in the past six years.

A diagram with dimensions would be great. Black speaker-cover/trunk-liner fabric would also work - IMO it doesn't have to match even close.
some kind of divider front to back that could be folded up or down would also be of benefit, to me at least. I'll tend to haul around a big folding deck-chair just to keep stuff from sliding around back there - what with a 4-person trunk capacity. ;) When you zoom around a slow-poke the stuff goes flying. LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great idea looks really good and perfect application.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 52 Posts