Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm thinking about finally getting a custom/dyno tune for my car now that I have some bolt ons. As it stands, I have a TB, and a CAI. And I guess no mufflers if that counts for anything. My question is, with a custom tune, and those mods, what kind of gains should I expect? I have a '15 Challenger SRT. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't know but I will make a guess. Problem is if you did not do a Dyno before the mods you will never know for sure. My opinion is the CAI is worth nothing but many here will disagree with me. My reason is the SRT came with a factory CAI that works OK. Who will do the tuning and what tuner will they use? Since Diablo Sport claims about 15 hp with a canned tune I think you can expect that or a little more. Maybe up to 25 hp?
Be sure to let us know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know but I will make a guess. Problem is if you did not do a Dyno before the mods you will never know for sure. My opinion is the CAI is worth nothing but many here will disagree with me. My reason is the SRT came with a factory CAI that works OK. Who will do the tuning and what tuner will they use? Since Diablo Sport claims about 15 hp with a canned tune I think you can expect that or a little more. Maybe up to 25 hp?
Be sure to let us know.
Now when you say up to 25hp, is that wheel or crank? And I'll be sure to let you guys know the results

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I went with a custom tune from Hemifever (via email). My car dropped about .35 off the ET and picked up about 2.5mph trap speed over last year after correcting for DA differences. I also run Racestars now this year with front skinnies. The lighter wheels likely dropped .1 as they are about 80-85lbs lighter than the stock wheels/tires. So it appears my car dropped about .25 due to the custom tune.

It is well worth it, you'll feel a difference, and if you can hook up good the car will launch even harder off the line with the torque management removed.

The CAI likely does next to nothing, maybe 5hp tops if that. The hellcat airbox is the best setup for our cars. Even the fastest Hellcats out there running 9's are still using the stock hellcat airbox after trying several aftermarket CAI's.

The throttle body may give you 5-10hp possibly. I would say if you got a custom tune with your mods you'd probably have about 30hp more than stock roughly. You'll need to swap PCM's to tune the car though as the stock PCM is locked. It's a simple procedure though, only takes 20 minutes or so.

The best thing for these cars is sticky rear tires. Even in stock form they overwhelm the stock rubber. M/T drag radials on the back and you'll hook up much better. They'll still spin when cold, but not as much, and you'll hook up and go after a bit of spinning vs an uncontrolled roasting of the tires with the stock street tires.

·
Registered
724 Posts
JimRam is right on his stuff and you can add the T/B and deleted mufflers also to that IMO. Now my jeep 6.1 on a ALLWHEEL dynojet with 2 options of cai and cmr dyno tune and everything else stock put out 27 hp and 30 lbs tq to the wheels. Now we are turning 4 wheels so a 2 wheel car may put out more. IMO if you cant get a dyno tune then get JerseyBoy to do your e mail tune. He is 1 of the best tuners out there for jeep and also does the 2 wheel cars also. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
JimRam is right on his stuff and you can add the T/B and deleted mufflers also to that IMO. Now my jeep 6.1 on a ALLWHEEL dynojet with 2 options of cai and cmr dyno tune and everything else stock put out 27 hp and 30 lbs tq to the wheels. Now we are turning 4 wheels so a 2 wheel car may put out more. IMO if you cant get a dyno tune then get JerseyBoy to do your e mail tune. He is 1 of the best tuners out there for jeep and also does the 2 wheel cars also. GOOD LUCK.
Luckily, being in Los Angeles, we got plenty of dynos haha. Thanks for the info! How much does he charge though?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with a custom tune from Hemifever (via email). My car dropped about .35 off the ET and picked up about 2.5mph trap speed over last year after correcting for DA differences. I also run Racestars now this year with front skinnies. The lighter wheels likely dropped .1 as they are about 80-85lbs lighter than the stock wheels/tires. So it appears my car dropped about .25 due to the custom tune.

It is well worth it, you'll feel a difference, and if you can hook up good the car will launch even harder off the line with the torque management removed.

The CAI likely does next to nothing, maybe 5hp tops if that. The hellcat airbox is the best setup for our cars. Even the fastest Hellcats out there running 9's are still using the stock hellcat airbox after trying several aftermarket CAI's.

The throttle body may give you 5-10hp possibly. I would say if you got a custom tune with your mods you'd probably have about 30hp more than stock roughly. You'll need to swap PCM's to tune the car though as the stock PCM is locked. It's a simple procedure though, only takes 20 minutes or so.

The best thing for these cars is sticky rear tires. Even in stock form they overwhelm the stock rubber. M/T drag radials on the back and you'll hook up much better. They'll still spin when cold, but not as much, and you'll hook up and go after a bit of spinning vs an uncontrolled roasting of the tires with the stock street tires.
Damn man, you know your stuff! How much does an unlocked PCM cost, and where can I get one? Also, to make sure I'm following correctly​, I need an unlocked PCM even for a dyno tune?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Damn man, you know your stuff! How much does an unlocked PCM cost, and where can I get one? Also, to make sure I'm following correctly​, I need an unlocked PCM even for a dyno tune?

Yes you will need an unlocked PCM to tune the car. The stock PCM is locked.

You can get an unlocked PCM new from Diablosport for around $500-600 or get a used one from a forum member on here for around $300. That's what I did, much cheaper and works just fine. You do need to send it off to DS though to program it for your VIN if you get a used one and the fee for that is $100. That's what I had to do.

Then you'd need a tuner as well to actually tune the car like a Trinity or Intune, unless you take it to a dyno shop and they provide that for you, but then you'd never be able to make any adjustments on your own, or datalog, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes you will need an unlocked PCM to tune the car. The stock PCM is locked.

You can get an unlocked PCM new from Diablosport for around $500-600 or get a used one from a forum member on here for around $300. That's what I did, much cheaper and works just fine. You do need to send it off to DS though to program it for your VIN if you get a used one and the fee for that is $100. That's what I had to do.

Then you'd need a tuner as well to actually tune the car like a Trinity or Intune, unless you take it to a dyno shop and they provide that for you, but then you'd never be able to make any adjustments on your own, or datalog, etc.
So basically, I want to buy a Diablesport PCM, then a Diablesport Trinity (for me having access and later adjustment), and THEN bring it to get Dyno tuned

·
Registered
724 Posts
Luckily, being in Los Angeles, we got plenty of dynos haha. Thanks for the info! How much does he charge though?

Not sure but from what I have heard about 300? bucks for the 1st tune. The only bad thing he is very busy but the tunes are well waiting for from the 2 srt8 jeeps we have in our group as his tunes are better than the other e mail tunes they had. He is on the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Forum site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Not sure but from what I have heard about 300? bucks for the 1st tune. The only bad thing he is very busy but the tunes are well waiting for from the 2 srt8 jeeps we have in our group as his tunes are better than the other e mail tunes they had. He is on the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Forum site.
And he does Challenger SRTs as well?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,709 Posts

You can buy an unlocked pcm or just have your original one done. If done, then I think that HP Tuners charges $299, but if you buy one, then just ask your tuner how much he'd charge for one. Maybe he'd give you a break if you bought the pcm from him, along with the tuner/tune. Sometimes they'll do that and save you a little bit of money. Just a thought.

I think that the Mopar stuff comes pretty well tuned from the factory and there's not alot left on the table, unlike a GM product, that you can put some headers on and gain 50 rwhp after tuning.

In my opinion, one of the advantages of getting a tune, is that it makes the car drive better and more efficiently. You can have them change torque management settings and turn off MDS (worth the cost of a tune right there in my opinion because that's a pain in the butt) and quite a bit more.

Here's a couple of threads with some good info:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f181/tuning-stock-scat-pack-396617/

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f298/diablo-pcm-tuner-ordered-385217/

Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I paid $125 for my custom email tune and it took 2 revisions to nail it down. I'm sure a dyno tune would get a few more ponies, but for the money it's pretty hard to beat. I got the same tune for my 2010 R/T and it also woke up nicely from stock. Either way you go it'll be faster and more fun to drive than stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts