Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is completely unorthodox and I can't find anyone who has actually done it (yet), but has anyone considered or actually installed cut outs between the rear resonators (near the bumper) and the mufflers (mid car) to achieve the same thing as a resonator delete, but then have the option to cap it off for quiet cruising?

I am considering this on my SRT8 (with stock exhaust) because I really like the stock exhaust setup on the highway and in 'normal' driving conditions, but there are definitely times I wish I had a bit more music from the exhaust. I don't mind drone when I am out for a drive just for fun, but when on the highway it gets a bit old.

I know this is not the intended location for cut outs, but could they be used for this type application? I don't see why not, and I would probably go with manual cut outs for reliability sake and ease of installation.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any recommendations on manual cut outs that would fit the SRT8 2.75" exhaust pipes?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Sure that would work, don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Personally, I think it would be cooler with electric cutouts though.

It's similar to the Boss 302, or the new Scat Pack quad exhaust systems, but their's are in front of the mufflers and have side exit tips.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did this with manual cutouts a few weeks ago. I was concerned that the drone would get on my nerves. So far I like it and it only cost me 65.00 bucks from summit. This way if we go on an extended trip and my wife complains, I can cap them back off.
I forgot to add I have a r/t. There were different sizes on the website.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did this with manual cutouts a few weeks ago. I was concerned that the drone would get on my nerves. So far I like it and it only cost me 65.00 bucks from summit. This way if we go on an extended trip and my wife complains, I can cap them back off.
Thanks for the info! I have had a hard time finding 2.75" manual cutouts for the SRT8. I guess I can just use a 2.75" to 3" adapter and use 3" cutouts. I will keep looking though.

Sounds like you were shooting for the exact same thing I am - glad it is working out for you.

Reactions: tshephard

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I realize this is completely unorthodox and I can't find anyone who has actually done it (yet), but has anyone considered or actually installed cut outs between the rear resonators (near the bumper) and the mufflers (mid car) to achieve the same thing as a resonator delete, but then have the option to cap it off for quiet cruising?
Very interesting. dsteele where exactly did you locate them and of course, any pics?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The ones that I ordered were the 2 1/2" ones, but they were a good bit bigger than the stock exhaust pipe. They might would fit on the 2.75" SRT pipes and you wouldn't have to clamp down as far. I cut relief cuts all around the end so it would clamp easier.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
sorry no pics as of right now. I located them on summit's website.
Sorry I was asking location after the mufflers. Directly behind or how far back?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Directly behind the resonators. The cutouts are big enough I was concerned with putting them by the mufflers for cleareance

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Very cool, home install or did a muffler shop fit them in there for you ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dsteele thanks for the pics. That's exactly what I had in mind. I am going to try this soon and will post some pics also.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
dsteele how long are the actual cutout dumps?

//
^

The reason I ask is just to keep the exhaust pointed more in a more downward direction with out clearance issues.

Thanks for the response with picture.

·
Registered
57 Posts
dsteele how long are the actual cutout dumps?

//
^

The reason I ask is just to keep the exhaust pointed more in a more downward direction with out clearance issues.

Thanks for the response with picture.

Im not exactly sure off hand. I know they were probably 4-5 inches. I rotated it so that it dumps more to the side and I could keep clearance.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thanks. Any chance for a video clip with audio? :shrug03:

Sorry. Had to ask. Really trying to justify what in my mind is a major alteration to a basically stock car.

I was young/stupid once and at times did terrible things to perfectly good cars/parts. In the end I learned that Ma MOPAR does a purdy damned good job making what I really wanted in the first place with just some minor tweaks.

Sometimes though I want to relive the young and stupid thing and make it "just a little louder". :rofl:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks. Any chance for a video clip with audio? :shrug03:

Sorry. Had to ask. Really trying to justify what in my mind is a major alteration to a basically stock car.

I was young/stupid once and at times did terrible things to perfectly good cars/parts. In the end I learned that Ma MOPAR does a purdy damned good job making what I really wanted in the first place with just some minor tweaks.

Sometimes though I want to relive the young and stupid thing and make it "just a little louder". :rofl:
I'll see if I can get a clip. It's not a whole lot loude, but it is noticeable now when riding in the car. Sounds really at WOT. I didn't mind this one because I can cap it back off and make it sound just like it did stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts