Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a good thing the DMH cutouts have a 4 year warranty because it looks like I'm going to be sending mine back in. It's like the valve doesn't close far enough because if I hold the button down they won't leak. If there was any way to fix them without sending them in I'd like to do that because I don't want to take them off.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
How long have you had them installed? Was finally about to get around to this so definitely interested in your case and how it works out.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Have the same problem with mine. I havn't had time to try it, but I wanna lift the car back up and check to make sure the silicon isn't wedging into where the valve seals..which would cause it to stay open a bit

·
Registered
585 Posts
you could probably fix those but it is the nature of the beast. Inside an exhuast pipe is a fairley narley place with water condensation, major temperature swings and carbon what-not particles encrustation. A tuff place to be a moving part. Probably would be less maintenance with bolted or threaded dump pipes or better yet headers. The conveinence of these DMH devices is bound to be short lived, unless your willing to send them back periodically or you can do it yourself clean them up (cutoff valves) as with everything i say JMHO

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had DMH cutouts on my 2007 Charger Super Bee. Everyone on the Charger forum with the DMH cutouts had leaking issues. I don't know if it is still the same problem or if they've made design changes since then, but the gaskets from DMH did not last long. After everyone bitched DMH came up with a replacement, and those didn't last much longer. For a while they quit supplying gaskets and sent a tube of copper silicone instead. I wound up making my own gaskets. I bought a sheet of exhaust gasket material from Mr Gasket and cut them out myself. This sheet has an impregnated metal mesh core. I think I got it off Ebay or Amazon.

Unless they've changed their assembly practices, you also want to disassemble everything you can and put it back together with Loc-Tite.

Here's what I wrote 2 years ago on the Charger forum:

"I have had the DMH exhaust cutouts for over a year. Here is what I have learned with them:

1) The supplied gaskets burn out very quickly. Mr Gasket makes a steel mesh reinforced sandwich hi-temp exhaust gasket sheet. Get this and make your own gaskets. If you hear a hissing noise while the cutouts are closed, your gasket is fried and a chunk is either missing or hanging down and not allowing the valve to close all the way. It does not take long for the original gaskets to break down.

2) You need to take the cutouts apart and put them back together using threadlocker. This includes the four screws holding the motor assembly to the valve assembly, and the two set screws that hold the butterfly valve to the shaft. The rattling noise is due to the set screws no longer holding the butterfly valve to the motor output shaft. I actually lost two of the screws due to vibration, and I have had the rattling butterfly valve issue as well. Threadlocker should take care of all of this."

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long have you had them installed? Was finally about to get around to this so definitely interested in your case and how it works out.

I've had them a little over 5 months.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not only are my cutouts leaking, I pulled into McDonalds today with them open and they were rattling bad but only when I would pull out from a stop. If I just revved it up or I always already moving they wouldn't do it. After I ate I got back in the car and after I started it I closed them completely and then opened them up again and they haven't done it since. About a week ago I was going through a drive-thru and noticed a slight rattle with them open but I didn't think anything of it. I'm going to check and see if all the bolts are tight. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts