Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to lower the rear of my 2012 SRT 8 with 6 speed. anyone cut their rear coils? In a perfect world I would lower the car about 1 to 1.5 inches. any advice on how much to cut off. I'm thinking 1 coil. also, will the adaptive ride sensor causes issues or not allow the car to sit lower?

I know .. i know. buy aftermarket mopar or eibach.. I can always do that if this doesn't work. I'm really concerned with how much to cut and will the adaptive ride height cause any issues..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,725 Posts
I'm looking to lower the rear of my 2012 SRT 8 with 6 speed. anyone cut their rear coils? In a perfect world I would lower the car about 1 to 1.5 inches. any advice on how much to cut off. I'm thinking 1 coil. also, will the adaptive ride sensor causes issues or not allow the car to sit lower?

I know .. i know. buy aftermarket mopar or eibach.. I can always do that if this doesn't work. I'm really concerned with how much to cut and will the adaptive ride height cause any issues..

Thanks
The general rule I've heard is each full coil removed will drop the ride height approximately one inch. But "general" is the operative word in that statement, as there are different spring rates on the stock coil springs in these cars depending upon the trim level of the vehicle, and the spring rate of the spring being cut should affect the amount of drop that cutting it will yield.

Having said all that, another member on here observed a 3/4" drop on the rear after cutting a half coil from the rear springs (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/1-2-coil-cut-factory-springs-534105/?534105=#post7053081), so obviously the general rule I mentioned earlier isn't universal.

Also, on the subject of spring rates, your rear springs are different from the rear springs in that member's car above (SRT vs. SXT), and so the caveat about spring rates that I mentioned earlier should be kept in mind. (I have replaced the stock springs on an SXT with those from an SRT in the past, and the rear of the SXT dropped almost a full inch just from that.)

If it were me, and I had the same results in mind as you listed, I would start off with cutting only 1/2 or 3/4 of a coil off the rear springs to see what kind of drop would result. That should give a good enough idea on how much drop to expect from a full coil and thus how much more spring should be cut to yield the full 1.0-1.5" drop desired (assuming it was not already achieved with the 1/2-3/4 coil cut).

Whatever you decide, please create a thread documenting the effort and its results, as I know other members on here could make use of the information provided.

Nuke

Reactions: GreeninTN

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I agree with Nuke. Start from half. You don’t want the rear sitting lower than the front. The ADS won’t be an issue. The rear of these cars have too much of a gap imo.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
The More You Know...

The general rule I've heard is each full coil removed will drop the ride height approximately one inch. But "general" is the operative word in that statement, as there are different spring rates on the stock coil springs in these cars depending upon the trim level of the vehicle, and the spring rate of the spring being cut should affect the amount of drop that cutting it will yield.

Having said all that, another member on here observed a 3/4" drop on the rear after cutting a half coil from the rear springs (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/1-2-coil-cut-factory-springs-534105/?534105=#post7053081), so obviously the general rule I mentioned earlier isn't universal.

Also, on the subject of spring rates, your rear springs are different from the rear springs in that member's car above (SRT vs. SXT), and so the caveat about spring rates that I mentioned earlier should be kept in mind. (I have replaced the stock springs on an SXT with those from an SRT in the past, and the rear of the SXT dropped almost a full inch just from that.)

If it were me, and I had the same results in mind as you listed, I would start off with cutting only 1/2 or 3/4 of a coil off the rear springs to see what kind of drop would result. That should give a good enough idea on how much drop to expect from a full coil and thus how much more spring should be cut to yield the full 1.0-1.5" drop desired (assuming it was not already achieved with the 1/2-3/4 coil cut).

Whatever you decide, please create a thread documenting the effort and its results, as I know other members on here could make use of the information provided.

Nuke

I found some old notes from the previously mentioned spring swap on the SXT (using SRT springs) that I wanted to add just in case it's of any use...

-- The rear of the SXT dropped 1.37" with the SRT springs, not an inch like I stated previously.
Not sure if that's useful info, but it does seem to say something about the spring rate of the SRT springs which I feel like should be noted...

-- After seeing only 0.25" drop in the front from the SRT springs (motor weight difference was a big factor), I cut 1.5 coils off the OE SXT springs to see how much drop I would get, and that yielded a 2.15" drop in the front.
The > 2" drop in the front was too much, so I cut 1 full coil from the SRT springs and got right at an inch drop in the front, which is what I wanted.

Again, I'm not sure if that info will ultimately be of any use in making your decision, but I figured it can't hurt to have it!

Nuke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. That's what I was wondering. If I cut too much or don't like the height. I'll buy aftermarket. Biggest concern is the adaptive ride. I've heard the adaptive ride negates the cut spring. Sounds like for 1 to 1-1/2 inches the adaptive ride won't mess with anything. I've cut springs before in older cars and yea. 1 coil seems to be roughly 1inch. Once I do it. I'll post the results. If anyone thinks my adaptive ride will have a problem with this. Please speak up about it. I don't want to throw codes or lose sport mode.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Try a half coil cut, I did on my SXT the first time, lowered it 3/4", then I did another 1/2 coil later and it was just almost to much for my liking, but then I put bigger drag radials on the rear and now I like the stance, the nice thing about cutting coils they increase spring rate and help reduce wheel hop during hard launches or burnouts.

With Mickey Thompson drag radials and correcting the factory camber closer to zero ( .5 degrees now) with bushings. The car plants the tires very well to a tune of 1.78 seconds in the first 60ft of the 1/4 mile. I have done nothing else with the rear suspension.

On my car I was able to remove each spring with only one bolt, the inner bolt. That's it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just a thought....will cutting the coil cause a problem with how the spring seats in its perch? May want to look at that prior to cutting.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Just a thought....will cutting the coil cause a problem with how the spring seats in its perch? May want to look at that prior to cutting.
As long as the coil is cut from the top and not the bottom of the spring, it will seat fine in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
The spring rate will change as well as the height. A Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts