Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finished my D.I.Y. cold air intake today (well almost). I still want to a little clean up like getting a couple more t-bolts and cutting the bolts down so they aren't as long. Not bad for less than $120. There was no way in hell I was going pay $300-$400 for a name brand CAI.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'd extend that into the fender area, or it's just going to perform worse than stock. The tiny filter and metal tubing aren't helping IATs or breathing.

Points for using t-bolts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that crossed my mind (curving it down into the fender). That would be optimal but I don't want to lose the air coming in from the headlight.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
At the very least, try to get some more surface area on the filter, if you don't plan on anything else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the very least, try to get some more surface area on the filter, if you don't plan on anything else.
Do you mean get a bigger cone filter?

I also looked at my intake temp this morning while going to work.

Then when I was at a stop light it would get warmer:

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,651 Posts
Yes he means get a larger filter. More surface area=less of a pressure drop across the filter means the engine breathes easier.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Personally and this is just me, I would have cobbled together the O E parts and done a hellcat lower box and air catcher tube and a Charger intake tube without a silencer (if running a catch can) and an AEM drop in filter.....

Oh wait, that is exactly what I did... :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally and this is just me, I would have cobbled together the O E parts and done a hellcat lower box and air catcher tube and a Charger intake tube without a silencer (if running a catch can) and an AEM drop in filter.....

Oh wait, that is exactly what I did... :D
This is what you did?

·
Registered
448 Posts
That sir, is an EBAI (engine bay air intake). I don't think that is helping your IATs at all beyond stock.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
This is what you did?

yep

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Maybe I should have posted BEFORE I did this project :ROFLMAO:
BTW, if you buy it from Steve White, CHA1 discount code knocks the price down on the OEM parts.
There are always used Hellcat boxes and tubes on here and on Ebay
AFE makes a plastic tube for the air catcher that is half as much as the OEM crushed cardboard one.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The cardboard ones are fine, and having something stiff on the back of the headlight (giggety) isn't something I'm a fan of.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Oh you were talking about the headlight attachment... my bad. I thought you were talking about the intake arm that connects to the airbox that has the "accordion" section. (that I hate)
Oh my bad. Since the OEM box mounts solid to the inner fender and the engine twists in the motor mounts (very slightly) it would be advantageous to have a little flex in that tube.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMO, they could have used a 4 ply polyurethane coupler that connects the intake tube to the air box to offer that slight bit of flexibility. I would like the least amount of friction for the air travel.

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I went with this, and it will actually reduce IATs. It costs a few dollars.

Yeah I like those, All I need is the top part with the filter but since it does not seal to the hood, I lost interest in it. Plus I am in a MOD holding pattern right now until the car is paid off (hopefully in April, 1 year early) I can either mod it or pay extra on it but not both as I am NOT running up any credit card debt!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts