Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought a new 2010 Furious Fuchsia R/T last week. It came with two fine scratches and lots of faint paint swirls. I'm driving this 70 miles daily and am in Hawai'i - where it rains randomly but frequently. Fortunately it's garaged at night and it'll be washed weekly.

I've always just used Mother's, Meguiar's or 3M polishes/cleaners/waxes after washing--all by hand. Now I'm hearing about Zaino and Adam's, clay bar treatments, quick detailers, wondering about how this stuff will affect the stripes on my car...

- What's the best compounds/method for removing the scratches and swirls?
- What's the best compounds/method to keep that wax beading all the water drops?
- How often shall I polish/clean/wax this daily driver to keep it protected and looking its best?
- Can I wax it too often?

Thanks for helping me improve my car care abilities and keeping this Furious Fuchsia a beauty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congratulations on your new Challenger!

Removing scratches can sometimes be done by hand with a scratch remover. Swirls (what we usually call spiderwebbing) can usually be addressed with either a product like our Sealer & Glaze by hand as part of our 3-Step Ultimate Wax System, or with a polish on a Porter-Cable or other commercial-quality random-orbital polisher.

Use a clay bar beforehand, and at least 2-3 times per year or as needed.

If you want to keep the water beading, try a product like our California Gold or FX Spray Wax after every wash -- it'll help prevent scratches and spiderwebbing during the drying process, and easily add gloss and protection.

You can't really wax too often, but even in Hawaii, every few weeks with a liquid or paste wax will not be a problem; a spray wax can be used weekly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, I just bought a new 2010 Furious Fuchsia R/T last week.

COOL - congrats. I just bought my 2010 Furious Fuchsia R/T Classic here in Georgia back in October. I love it.

I'm planning on using mine as a daily driver - but my commute is only about 25 miles round trip each day. I'm still driving my old car during bad weather.....guess I have to get over that...

Mine is a manual 6 speed - same with yours? Are you considering any modifications?

Have fun with it!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
To remove fine scratches and spider webbing you will need an abrasive polish. In my experience removing these by hand is pretty difficult. About 6 years ago I purchased a Dual Action Polisher (Porter Cable 7424), and it was probably the BEST purchase I have made for my cars.

You can get the buffer, some pads, and start out with Poorboys World SSR1
At the first sign of swirls, light scratches, and oxidation, use Poorboy’s Light Abrasive Super Swirl Remover in the pink lotion.

Then move on up through the steps (PwS, Glaze, Sealant, Wax) and you will have a swirl free shine that can't be beat.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Link to buffer:
Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts