Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is going to put me in the poor house if gas continues to go up in price.

I guess my daily commutes in a Hemi-powered LX represent the worst case scenario for a 4K+ lb car with a V8 - relatively long morning and afternoon commutes (~75 min each) in city traffic.

As such, the one thing the Hemi has that could help - MDS - can’t help on my commutes because I’m never going fast enough or holding my 5th gear RPMs long enough to allow the MDS to kick in.

Which boils down to some pretty terrible gas mileage so far. After burning a full tank in just 3 days, I calculated my MPG by hand at fill up, here is what I got for this tank:
F8CE2910-DB65-457C-97E8-5D572FC90F2A_1527254311847.png

And before you ask, yes that includes some spirited driving, but even still, 11 friggin miles per gallon?!?!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

I guess my daily commutes in a Hemi-powered LX represent the worst case scenario for a 4K+ lb car with a V8 - relatively long morning and afternoon commutes (~75 min each) in city traffic.

As such, the one thing the Hemi has that could help - MDS - can’t help on my commutes because I’m never going fast enough or holding my 5th gear RPMs long enough to allow the MDS to kick in.

Which boils down to some pretty terrible gas mileage so far. After burning a full tank in just 3 days, I calculated my MPG by hand at fill up, here is what I got for this tank:
View attachment 916370

And before you ask, yes that includes some spirited driving, but even still, 11 friggin miles per gallon?!?!
Your commute is 75 miles?

What kind of commute is it that you're only getting 11mpg? Even in town, my car gets 13-15 mpg.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your commute is 75 miles?

What kind of commute is it that you're only getting 11mpg? Even in town, my car gets 13-15 mpg.
Not 75 miles, 75 minutes...it’s only 38 miles, but it will take me an avg of 1 hr to drive it in the AM and 1.5 hrs to drive it on the way home in the afternoon traffic.

My average speed for that trip is 19 mph BTW. So that kinda explains what kind of commute it is...(hint: a hellacious one!)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bet the V6 Charger will only do a few miles/gallon better under the same conditions. I'm guessing 14 or 15....still shitty but it's the conditions more than the car.

Is it worth losing the torque and the throaty growl of the Hemi? Probably not...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Not 75 miles, 75 minutes...it’s only 38 miles, but it will take me an avg of 1 hr to drive it in the AM and 1.5 hrs to drive it on the way home in the afternoon traffic.

My average speed for that trip is 19 mph BTW. So that kinda explains what kind of commute it is...(hint: a hellacious one!)
Might be worth it to go down to the pub for a pint and wait for traffic to die down, lol.

Sounds like Bay Area tier commute, which I thankfully avoid by working in town.

Have you searched alternate roads to take?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bet the V6 Charger will only do a few miles/gallon better under the same conditions. I'm guessing 14 or 15....still shitty but it's the conditions more than the car.

Is it worth losing the torque and the throaty growl of the Hemi? Probably not...

I have a 3.6 A8. I drive bumper to bumper for 25 miles. I get 21ish. Of course I'm also paying $3.70/gal for low grade. But I feel your pain Nuke. Imagine if you lived in San Diego...I don't even know the price of premium, but it's higher here for sure.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow, if I had a commute like that I'd probably consider getting one of those new electric cars for the daily commute and keep the V8 for the weekend fun times. For me, stepping on the brakes is wasted energy, speed and momentum is converted into heat at the brakes and is gone and then you have to accelerate again and spend more energy. Electric cars and hybrids, however, can regenerate electricity when they slow down. They recoup energy and you don't need to use the brake pads AT ALL when coming to a normal halt.

Of course it won't feel the same like driving a powerful HEMI around, but I would feel bad for burning all that gas in an environment that the car wasn't really designed for. Those aren't really fun miles that you are putting on the car either and they are harder on the car with all the stop and go and as you are paying more gas and insurance for them.

It's like choosing your beautiful, strong race horse carry heavy loads every day instead of using a cheap mule to do the same thing.

Just some food for thought though.

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
My daily driver for the past 6years has been a 2005 Dodge magnum rt, with the 5.7 hemi and a 3.06 lsd behind the 5-speed nag1. I average 14.5 mpg on a tank, I do next to no highway miles. If I road trip to the in laws in that car, I’ll see 22mpg averaging 70-75 on the freeway.

I just picked up a ram 1500, regular cab shortbed, with the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 lsd behind the 8speed trans, and mpg seems to be almost identical in the two months I’ve been driving it.

City driving, ie stop and go driving, is tough on the mpg.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
your commute sounds like its lots of low speed, idling and rarely getting to top gear

My commute in the last seven months in Portland, OR was like that - in town driving where the trip computer said I average 18 mph over 9 mi trip and averaged 17 mpg - 6 cyl 3.2 / A5 Benz.

Normally I'd average 25 mpg for general mixed driving, for a contrast.

The worst trip computer MPG I'd seen was one particularly bad trip home (then was 14mi trip where I was working that time) and my relatively new '16 SP Shaker (M6) had 12.5 mpg calculating on that trip - lowest I'd ever seen.

the Challenger would average 17/18 for mixed driving and now in NC I'm averaging ~ 20 mpg in mixed driving...traffic flows much better around here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
your commute sounds like its lots of low speed, idling and rarely getting to top gear

My commute in the last seven months in Portland, OR was like that - in town driving where the trip computer said I average 18 mph over 9 mi trip and averaged 17 mpg - 6 cyl 3.2 / A5 Benz.

Normally I'd average 25 mpg for general mixed driving, for a contrast.

The worst trip computer MPG I'd seen was one particularly bad trip home (then was 14mi trip where I was working that time) and my relatively new '16 SP Shaker (M6) had 12.5 mpg calculating on that trip - lowest I'd ever seen.

the Challenger would average 17/18 for mixed driving and now in NC I'm averaging ~ 20 mpg in mixed driving...traffic flows much better around here.

Spent a week in Vancouver WA last year. Scouting out possible retirement places...born in Everette. I drove some in Portland. If I retire in southern WA, I'm staying away from Portland. Hard to imagine somewhere worse than San Diego or LA, but they are in the running. I like the south, but the weather is getting worse and worse there. I think I heard they expect 19 hurricanes this year?! No thanks. I'll live with the liberals instead.

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
Spent a week in Vancouver WA last year. Scouting out possible retirement places...born in Everette. I drove some in Portland. If I retire in southern WA, I'm staying away from Portland. Hard to imagine somewhere worse than San Diego or LA, but they are in the running. I like the south, but the weather is getting worse and worse there. I think I heard they expect 19 hurricanes this year?! No thanks. I'll live with the liberals instead.
As the traffic continues to get worse around Portland, OR and the denial of the problem and dealing with it (aka: "lets build more bicycle paths") its pretty much gridlock except for 3am - 5am anymore.

I moved away in March 2018 from Portland, OR and now in Charlotte, NC area...and looking back, should have done it years earlier. I don't miss that gray, drizzly version of Hell.

If you manage to move to Vancouver, WA / SW Washington - it will be better than the Puget Sound area and all the congestion and traffic. Just confine your trips in Portland to times when the traffic wouldn't be as bad. Many trek over to Portland to shop for high $$ items to avoid the sales tax in WA.

But Vancouver is growing a lot too...they get traffic

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone seems quick to blame the engine and the traffic conditions, but there’s culprit doing his part to sap MPG that I don’t want to let off the hook so easily - the weight of this behemoth.

I am on record as being very critical of my Challengers’ weight when I had those. Well they were anorexic bulemics compared to this Fatty McFatterson!

Holy crap, who knew 2 extra doors could weigh so much?!?! But the fact that the car weighs as much as your average dump truck certainly speaks to how much of a torque monster the Hemi really is. I mean, to be able to get this lead sled not only moving, but moving at a pretty damned quick pace, is nothing short of miraculous!

·
Registered
328 Posts
LOL, ya both need to watch what they eat. I'm not sure how much you can take out weight wise. There are a couple threads, but some of the things they did were a bit extreme. Still, even a few hundred pounds should help some.

I got used to and then even started to like the appearance of the earlier Chargers. But since they squared off the edges and put those sculpted areas in the door, nah. To each his own though.

I'm glad my SXT is about 400 pounds (I think) lighter than the V8's, but I don't really think I need a back seat:) That will go when I get more serious. As long as I have an engine warranty (2017) I'm not doing much. I put the Hellcat lower and air tube in, just for the cooler air. I've heard 5-6 deg IAT reduction, and that must help short term KR, so yippy. It was actually pretty cheep to do. I even put the HC filter in, but I of course didn't need it.

Hal, just came back from a week in Seattle. I told the wife it was NOT on the list of retirement locations! Southern third of the state has lots of room. I'd like something along the Columbia River. Fishing for dinner would be nice.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Challenger needs to go on a diet.

The Charger needs a gastric bypass.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Challenger needs to go on a diet.

The Charger needs a gastric bypass.
But I don’t want to paint too bleak of a picture of my Pursuit Charger. The rubberized hole-plugs they used in the roof of the car make outstanding beer holders while you’re touching up all the scratches the slack-jawed troglodyte who de-coppified the car left behind:

FBB4767A-57A1-4207-9C0E-96C8C1FE07F6_1527367739858.jpeg

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,478 Posts

View attachment 916370

Giddyup... :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FINALLY!! A vehicle with fewer horsepower than my last Challenger!

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
Everyone seems quick to blame the engine and the traffic conditions, but there’s culprit doing his part to sap MPG that I don’t want to let off the hook so easily - the weight of this behemoth.

I am on record as being very critical of my Challengers’ weight when I had those. Well they were anorexic bulemics compared to this Fatty McFatterson!

Holy crap, who knew 2 extra doors could weigh so much?!?! But the fact that the car weighs as much as your average dump truck certainly speaks to how much of a torque monster the Hemi really is. I mean, to be able to get this lead sled not only moving, but moving at a pretty damned quick pace, is nothing short of miraculous!
There's 4" more wheelbase - so you have the additional mass of the metal structure, plus the rear doors that have more glass, side impact beams, window regulators, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Nuke: I thought we had a V6? I was absent a few days. I'll wait for my answer.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nuke: I thought we had a V6? I was absent a few days. I'll wait for my answer.
My Challenger did, but I've gone full-on 4 door now to get the Hemi. I acquired a 2012 Charger that was a local municipality's police cruiser for the first 100k miles of its life, which was no doubt spent chasing crooks and speed limit violators. For the next 100K miles, it will be on the other end of that dynamic it looks like. >:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts