Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share my latest mod.

For those with Dale's louvers (or HPP's as I'm told they're the same), I modified how the louvers are secured to the Challenger. In short, I removed the hood pin like mechanism and lanyard and installed a mini-latch from Quik-latch using the same bracket. These cost less than $25.00 each. As you can see in the attached photos, I also relocated the bracket from the recommended location. It also required cutting to length the pins that come with the mini-latch and using a 3/4 in hole cutter on the bottom slat. All in all it's just as secure as the original and I don't have to worry about the lanyard or the pin when opening and closing the trunk. :4:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Very interesting. Im literally 5 minutes from pulling the trigger on a set at Dales and happened across this. I LIKE IT! A very nice modern twist. What was the reasoning for coming up with this? You mentioned the pins/lanyards... Also, any rattling from the louvers?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the reasoning for coming up with this? You mentioned the pins/lanyards... Also, any rattling from the louvers?
When I was installing the louvers, I needed to have the trunk open to align the bracket exactly where they should go, in lieu of placing the bracket 10 inches from the trunk center as stated in the instructions which proved to be slightly off. Once aligned, it was a matter of marking the location and then installing the bracket. But as I'm quite anal about installing anything, I checked and rechecked several several times to ensure the location was spot on and each time I had to open the trunk and the lanyard with pin would always get in the way. Of course once installed, this issue is moot. Nevertheless, I thought there must be a better way to secure the louvers and thought of the quik-latch. (I also have their regular version as actual hood pins instead of the mopar ones.)

The louvers don't rattle at all. Fit is excellent. If you order one, don't forget the 15% forum discount code...mopar1.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Thanks for the info! As I said before, thats a great idea and I may replicate this now. Also thanks for the discount info. Didn't know about that.
One more thing, did you get the bolt on or the tape on. Not sure how I feel about putting holes in the roof that weren't intended to be there.

·
Super Moderator
13,708 Posts
Good idea.

Did you know that to install the louvers on a 1970-71 "Challenger or 'Cuda, you had to drill 6 holes in the roof for the upper hinges and 2 large holes in the trunk lid for the vertical hood pin studs- a total of eight holes!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! As I said before, thats a great idea and I may replicate this now. Also thanks for the discount info. Didn't know about that.
One more thing, did you get the bolt on or the tape on. Not sure how I feel about putting holes in the roof that weren't intended to be there.
I got the tape on. The hinges and trunk bracket actually have fake bolts that are glued on. On my install, the hinges on tape on. But I bolted the brackets with self tapping screws by removing the fake screws.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are right Cuda 340 those were many holes in the body, the roof wasn`t bad cause you could drop the back part of the headliner to put the backer plate. The pin`s in the space between the window and trunk were much larger holes. I`m sure the tolerances for the older cars were more for the alignment of body panels etc. ie: vinyl roof. I`m really glad I saw this post too StingerRT/C as I was calling Dales Cuda Shop the next day after reviewing the board. I appreciate the clever and innovative design that you thought of jasoncion to modify the louver attachment as I feel Dodge would have designed it, classic look but modern functionality. Any update about members rear window louver`s are greatly appreciated. Thanx!

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
284 Posts
Thought I would share my latest mod.

For those with Dale's louvers (or HPP's as I'm told they're the same), I modified how the louvers are secured to the Challenger. In short, I removed the hood pin like mechanism and lanyard and installed a mini-latch from Quik-7latch using the same bracket. These cost less than $25.00 each. As you can see in the attached photos, I also relocated the bracket from the recommended location. It also required cutting to length the pins that come with the mini-latch and using a 3/4 in hole cutter on the bottom slat. All in all it's just as secure as the original and I don't have to worry about the lanyard or the pin when opening and closing the trunk.
I know this thread is quite old but I wanted to give you props on your updated of using the quick latch setup.

I've been going back and forth on Dales louvers but will eventually get them. Especially now that I see an alternative to the hood pin type attachment.

Do you know the part numbers for the latches you used?

I think I read that you did not drill your upper attachments?

How has your setup held up so far?.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kudos. I used the QL-25-SB Black anodized quik latch. Current cost is $26.99 each. https://www.quik-latch.com/QL-25-series-mini-latches.html

So far everything has held up with no issues whatsoever. Regarding the upper attachment, I did not drill initially. But I found the the adhesive would come apart from time to time and I eventually went ahead used bolts to secure the upper attachment

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Thanks for the kudos. I used the QL-25-SB Black anodized quik latch. Current cost is $26.99 each. https://www.quik-latch.com/QL-25-series-mini-latches.html

So far everything has held up with no issues whatsoever. Regarding the upper attachment, I did not drill initially. But I found the the adhesive would come apart from time to time and I eventually went ahead used bolts to secure the upper attachment
You mentioned on another thread that you moved the attachment points at the bottom of them as far as spacing.

What measurements ended up working best for you?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I ended up placing the bottom brackets 17 inches from center.
I just received my Dale's Cuda Shop Louvers in the mail a mere 15 minutes ago.

You guys that do things to your car all the time might be used to packaging like this but this is got to be the thickest cardboard box I've ever seen in my life. Damn near three eighths of an inch thick, almost as sturdy as if they build it out of a wood box. They definitely know how to protect their items.

The craftsmanship on these things is incredible! I really didn't realize that the slats would be as thick and sturdy as they are which is fantastic!

Even when attaching the slats, they line up against each other so seamlessly that it literally looks like it all can be made from one single sheet of metal.

I cannot wait to get these installed and see the dramatic change. For me, these will balance out the black phantom grill on the front of my car.

I even have my quick latches sitting here...

BIG QUESTION:
What do you guys find is the best way to protect the metal where you have drilled for mounting holes?
Do you just coat it with silicone, rtv sealant, paint it with touch up brush? Seems like that would be a difficult area to get right since the mounting hardware will be scraping against it so to speak.

LITTLE QUESTION:
Do you use a prop rod or something to hold it up while cleaning your window?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BIG QUESTION:
What do you guys find is the best way to protect the metal where you have drilled for mounting holes? It’s aluminum so it shouldn’t be an issue.

LITTLE QUESTION:
Do you use a prop rod or something to hold it up while cleaning your window? I use a 16 inch wooden prop for that.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
BIG QUESTION:
What do you guys find is the best way to protect the metal where you have drilled for mounting holes? It’s aluminum so it shouldn’t be an issue.

LITTLE QUESTION:
Do you use a prop rod or something to hold it up while cleaning your window? I use a 16 inch wooden prop for that.

The roof of the car and the metal around the trunk lid is steel isn't it?

I'm assuming that you thought I meant the louvers where I'll be installing the Quik-Latches.

Thanks for your response!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts