Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when tyre place replacing the tyre sensor, they used an angle grinder to remove the valve, which got hot and resulted in this, is this repairable? or replaceable without buying a whole new chrome clad wheel? any advice gratefully received
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,488 Posts
Not repairable by any methods or means I am aware of.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Premium Member
2021 M6 Shaker RT
321 Posts
Not repairable. Did they warn you before the sensor replacement it could happen? Looks like a new wheel is needed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a couple of Chrome Clad wheels I’m not using. I’d sell ya one if you need it.

Edit - oh, just saw your latest post. That shipping would probably make it cost prohibitive.

Another option - a couple of places sell just the chrome cladding itself (they call it a wheel skin). Cheaper than the whole wheel and certainly much cheaper to ship from the states. The down side is I’ve heard it is a BEAR to remove the old cladding and all of the glue, etc. But once done it should look exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,488 Posts
thanks guys thats what we thought cost here in uk £800 ish
ouch…

idea: put that wheel on the other side so you won’t see it! 😁

<crickets>

okay, okay, I’ll show myself to the door…😔

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies, we had seen that the wheel skin like you say is an absolute whotsit to remove, but definitely looks a cheaper option, any one ever replaced one? any tips?

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
You should demand that the tire store pay for a new wheel. If they refuse, take them to County Court.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should demand that the tire store pay for a new wheel. If they refuse, take them to County Court.
If that sensor was corroded in, the shop likely didn't have much of a choice but to grind it out. He said it was being replaced, which I interpret to mean that it wasn't working.....and he wanted it out. Otherwise, they would just change the tire and never touch the sensor. Sometimes corrosion and age are at fault, not the repairer.

·
Registered
16,993 Posts
they used an angle grinder to remove the valve, which got hot and resulted in this
Pretty ridiculous especially considering the cladding is plastic that they didn't think of this possibility, as said don't believe there is any way to fix this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty ridiculous especially considering the cladding is plastic that they didn't think of this possibility, as said don't believe there is any way to fix this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It does suck. Hope you find a way to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,431 Posts
when tyre place replacing the tyre sensor, they used an angle grinder to remove the valve, which got hot and resulted in this, is this repairable? or replaceable without buying a whole new chrome clad wheel? any advice gratefully received
View attachment 1040709
The Tyre place should replace the wheel on their dime. That is entirely their fault. Even if the chrome didn't bubble they damaged the area around the Valve stem. Why did they use a grinder?

·
Premium Member
2011 SRT8 392 BGE Supercharged Toxic Orange heavily modified Challenger
1,173 Posts
If they don't replace it (because of their inappropriate action), then I would put a hold on your payment, and speak to the store manager. They did much more damage then the cost of the specified repair. They owe you a new wheel.

·
Registered
868 Posts
View attachment 1040709
I’m with Cuda340 and the others. The shop should have taken the appropriate precautions to avoid damaging your wheel. They are responsible and owe you a new OE Mopar wheel. As mentioned, I’d stop payment and go to the manager or shop owner. I had a similar situation with my wife’s car. In the end, they paid for a new rim. I ripped the dealer a new one!

·
Super Moderator
16,033 Posts
I have a couple of Chrome Clad wheels I’m not using. I’d sell ya one if you need it.

Edit - oh, just saw your latest post. That shipping would probably make it cost prohibitive.

Another option - a couple of places sell just the chrome cladding itself (they call it a wheel skin). Cheaper than the whole wheel and certainly much cheaper to ship from the states. The down side is I’ve heard it is a BEAR to remove the old cladding and all of the glue, etc. But once done it should look exactly the same.

This video shows how to remove the old cladding. It's not difficult- only a little time consuming.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This video shows how to remove the old cladding. It's not difficult- only a little time consuming.

Good to know. I’m kind of invested in my Chrome Clads as I spend some $$ to have the rear ones widened to 10.25”. So I had given thought to buying one of those skins to keep on hand just in case I ever rub a curb or something with one of the widened rims. I should have bought one a year or so ago when those “skins” were $79 - like everything else they’ve gone up considerably.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
330 Posts
Where does one get wheels widened? I have a spare set of two clads I would love to widen.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Bloody hell.... Butchers.. Why the hell didn't they just break off the inside of the sensor, then drill out the stem???????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts