Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Hemi 392 Scat Pack Shaker
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going through a touch free car wash and my car got stuck on the ramp. I reversed to realign on the ramp and later realized I damaged my splitter, the belly pan that connects to it, and my front bumper. I looked into replacing the front end and splitter but wanted to know if less expensive alternatives are out there. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Will attach pictures of damage beneath.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would use your insurance and take it to a collision shop.

I see damage to the fenders where the bumper mounting studs pass through. I suspect the bumper retainers are destroyed. It appears that the bumper mounting tabs (the part that snaps into the retailer) are torn, this will require bumper replacement.

And the obvious damage to the undersides.

The only way to do it right is to remove the bumper, replace the damaged bumper components, repair the fenders and paint the associated parts.

I will guess about $3000ish in damage.

Much less if the bumper is OK.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
The car wash business has insurance that should pay for that to be fixed. I had cars damaged in car washes several years ago and they paid for everything. I got smart and stopped ever taking a car through one of those things.
Did you report it to them when it happened? You need to look into filing a claim with them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The car wash business has insurance that should pay for that to be fixed. I had cars damaged in car washes several years ago and they paid for everything. I got smart and stopped ever taking a car through one of those things.
Did you report it to them when it happened? You need to look into filing a claim with them.
All of this. If it's not a flat bay, and you're not using just a rinse, avoid them entirely. The chemical makeup of the soaps used (most places) is crap for pH levels, the brush is useless, and you found a fun flaw in the ramp-type auto wash.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Yellow

Maybe you can repair it with that yellow packing tape that folks leave on the corners of their splitters.
Thank goodness someone finally figured it out........well done sir :banger: >:)
Oh sorry, you have to have the Yellow Protectors on First, not after the damage :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well OBVIOUSLY the protective tape could have prevented this if it had been there in the first place.

Now that we've sufficiently had fun at this poor dude's expense, the repairs don't look too severe but not anything I'd want to try myself.

Back to the cause, a "ramp" was mentioned in a touch-free car wash. I've been using touch-free car-washes for decades, and I've never been in one with a "Ramp". All the ones I've ever use, you drive in, some wand or wands or some other spray head assembly moves around your car, you either get blow-dried in place, or as you're driving out, and the floor of the place is nothing but concrete. There are some fixed sprays that do the undercarriage and wheels as you drive in, but other than that there's nothing that you can damage your car on.

What touch-free carwash has a ramp and what's it for?

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Damn Ramps

Well OBVIOUSLY the protective tape could have prevented this if it had been there in the first place.

Now that we've sufficiently had fun at this poor dude's expense, the repairs don't look too severe but not anything I'd want to try myself.

Back to the cause, a "ramp" was mentioned in a touch-free car wash. I've been using touch-free car-washes for decades, and I've never been in one with a "Ramp". All the ones I've ever use, you drive in, some wand or wands or some other spray head assembly moves around your car, you either get blow-dried in place, or as you're driving out, and the floor of the place is nothing but concrete. There are some fixed sprays that do the undercarriage and wheels as you drive in, but other than that there's nothing that you can damage your car on.

Of course sorry for the gents woes on trying to keep his car clean:|
I too don't remember ever seeing a RAMP style car wash.
As for the Yellow band-aide, it's all good:wink3:

·
Registered
Hemi 392 Scat Pack Shaker
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

It was a gas station drive thru. You go thru and there’s a small ramp that you had to pull in to signal the wash to start the wash cycle.

At this point I wish I would have just took the time to hand wash it like I usually do. Guess you live and you learn

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
This just sounds like a shitty design for a touchless car-wash. For cars that are driven alot (and get dirty alot), routine hand washing just isn't practical. And when you have a black car, like mine, you really have no choice but to use the touchless carwashes. You should have no problem looking around to find one that doesn't have any sort of ramp you have to drive onto to trigger it. Most have sensors on the sides, and you don't drove over anything, except a very low profile under-body spray header.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts