Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a major mistake during my project last weekend. I had over spray on my black plastic trim and I foolishly (without testing) cleaned the paint off with acetone and it melted my trim.

Thank god the glossy damaged part is only noticeable at an angle. But, is there a way I can repair or hide the damage on this part?

Wrapping won't work because it won't stick. I haven't tried plastic trim paint,so I'm not sure how soon/how easy it peels off.

Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Looks like the pebble texture is melted down pretty smooth and more than likely painting won't bring it back..You probably only have two options, replace it or wrap it. I know you said it won't stick, but in all honesty most of the stuff on eBay with a thick mil will. I recommend flat black. What do you have to lose? It beats replacement, which I know you really don't wanna do. Good luck, sir.

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
458 Posts
You could also remove the grill and plastidip it. That stuff is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You can acetone the rest of it so it's even. You can try the heat gun trick but I don't know it that will help any if the texture is gone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- I dont really want to replace it since its expensive and is not really noticeable.

- Plastidip is temporary and will peel easy.

- acetone effect has a melted look and is not nice at all.

- I guess my only choice really is a bumper trim paint.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,939 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts