Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got hit last night yesterday in the left rear wheel/rear quarter panel. Smashed in my quarter panel, gashed my rims, blew my tire out, and the regular paint damage. My main concern is how the wheel looked afterwards, i got hit on half side of the wheel so it wasnt dead center.... this caused the back half of the wheel to bend inwards and the forward half of the wheel to stick outwards. After the wreck i was able to drive the car about 20 yards to get it out the way of traffic. My big concern is how bad the underneath workings of the car can be?? Does a shifted wheel absolutely mean a bent rear axle? Or can it possiby be maybe some broken suspension links? Does a bent rear axle total a vehicle? Any info would be great. Having the car looked at monday once the shop opens so I'll know more then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It can be fixed and I seriously doubt they will total it. I had a Grand Prix that was hit head on at the rear wheel and they were able to fix it up without a problem. I also bent the axle shafts on a truck I had and that was fixed too. In addition I'm sure a few people here broke an axle due to too much HP.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about the mishap. It doesn't sound like it would be totaled. Hope she gets fixed good as new. Best of luck.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
389 Posts
A number of years ago I had similar damage resulting from someone running a red light. T-boned me in the passenger side front quarter panel, and bent the wheel like you described. The shop fixed it no problem - drove good as new.

Side note - I had less damage than the person who hit me. I had a 67 Buick then. Talk about some "Detroit Iron" - I had a big dent in the front fender and the bent wheel. The other person's entire front end was destroyed, fluids all over the street, etc. That plastic and such didn't hold up well at 40mph against my steel. Anyway - the shop should be able to repair your wheel and any associated damage just fine.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
It wont be totaled. You should be ok. Friend with a 300 srt just had the same exact thing happen to him, gettin fixed up right now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Challenger doesn't have a live axel, so worst case scenerio they would have to replace one half shaft (unless it damaged the pumpkin). There is a good possibility they will only need to replace a rod or link or something. Good luck, sorry about the accident.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Man, hate that for you. It doesn't sound totaled, or even close, but their may be issues with the rear gears. Chances are probably not as the car most likely slid sideways some which dissipates the force. Bending a wheel doesn't necessarily mean breaking or bending an axle or gears.

Hope the other one had insurance. My 70' Mustang was hit by a beater truck with no license, no insurance and no assets back when I was in my early 20's. Couldn't afford to fix it so sold it for parts.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
MAke sure your frame/subframe gets checked or fixed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts