Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hooked two tens to the stock 8" sub. Taped off the wires directly to the subs no additional AMP.. i have the 430 with Sound group two.... Now, i know it is like a 360w app or something, and it does work. My question is will it hurt anything? the Amp isnt going to overheat and catch fire bc i hooked more speakers to it right??

It added a little more bass and thump. exactly what i wanted... i have a 760W amp to go with them, but didnt really want it that loud...

·
Registered
957 Posts
How did you connect the wires? It might.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
U would probably be better off with just one 10 rather then dividing the power between 2 subs. Depending on how everything is wired up u could fry the amp.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
As BigDodge said, you would better off with just 1 sub added (if any) as there's good chance you will blow the amp. I assume you hooked the subs in parallel.

The formula is 1/(1/R1+1/R2+1/R3) = Resistance or impedance in this case.

If R1 is the factory 8" sub (2 ohms) and R2 and R3 are the subs you added. What are the impedance of the subs you added?

If 2 ohm subs were added the overall impedance is 0.66 ohms
If 4 ohm subs were added the overall impedance is 1 ohm
If 8 ohm subs were added the overall impedance is 1.33 ohms

In any case your amp should be running hot and a good chance the amp will blow since you are very close to a short as far as the amp sees it.
2 ohm amplifiers are running close to a short as it is. Impedance changes with frequency, so the amp may hit a big bass note and the impedance drops to less than 2 ohms (more than that with the extra subs) and pop!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also just to note...that 368w amp is not all going to the sub. Here's a spec sheet showing that it is a 8 channel amp (8 x [email protected], 8 x [email protected]). Depending on the sub you are using, I would suggest you are also under powering it and likely to cook it before too long. If you have another amp, suggest you get an Audio Control LC2i and feed it with the stock sub wire, then out to your amp powering your 10s.

http://www.moparinternational.com/assets/accessory/ISheets/K6860860.pdf
(Not sure this is identical spec wise to the newer ones, but the fact that the 368w is split holds)

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok.. well sounds like i need to add the Amp i have and just turn the bass down.. As for the input in the the AMP(not the factory one) i can tap off the sub wires right?? Every other system iv done on a stock head unit taped off speaker wires, in this case i want to tap the sub wires so i dont have to mess with LPF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts