Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching for dash cam information and would like to get input from those who have used them. I've kinda gravitated to the Blackvue 650 but have not fully researched it and am open to input:

1) I'd like front and rear view .............. and I'd like left and right (door dings), too - is that available ? Or do I need 2 units to pull that off ?

2) I want video when driving, and motion detection when parked.

3) I dont want to tap into the car's power. I'd like to use an 'external' battery/power supply laying on the floor. Or do any of these come with a built-in battery ?

4) I see some of these have 'cloud service' - is that for after-the-fact storage, or real-time storage to the cloud ?

5) Is there any kinda of email/text alert service available so when motion is detected, that I get notified immediately ?

Am I asking too much ?

Any good links to general education are welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1) I'd like front and rear view .............. and I'd like left and right (door dings), too - is that available ? Or do I need 2 units to pull that off ?

Rare to have side views. There are units that allow for this but haven't heard anything great about them. I saw the Vacron 360 but can't attest to its quality. Maybe check that one out and see if that fits the bill for you.

2) I want video when driving, and motion detection when parked.

That feature is available on several models.

3) I dont want to tap into the car's power. I'd like to use an 'external' battery/power supply laying on the floor. Or do any of these come with a built-in battery ?

I think most models will be a car battery suck. The batteries included in the majority of cameras don't last too long. Not sure about external battery supply- probably not common.

4) I see some of these have 'cloud service' - is that for after-the-fact storage, or real-time storage to the cloud ?

I believe real time. But that could depend on the model and software.

5) Is there any kinda of email/text alert service available so when motion is detected, that I get notified immediately ?

Not that I've ever seen or heard of.

Am I asking too much ?

Yes. It's an imperfect product market. None of the dash cams available are worth writing home about. This is the problem I had when narrowing down choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm currently using the Blackvue DR650S 2 channel with a Cellink Battery for parking mode. The Cellink battery plugs into the cars lighter socket and the dashcam plugs into the Cellink battery. I've been using this setup for almost a year and have been pleased.

Blackvue just came out with an newer model (DR750S-2CH) to replace the 650. It's supposed to have a higher quality video. I have the new one sitting on my desk at home and am hoping to get time this weekend to swap out the 650 with the new one.

I don't use the cloud service that is available for these units.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I bought a GRDIAN Defender, and if you're looking for great video, you may like this cam. However, the audio on these cams are terrible. I even sent the first one back to them because I thought it was defective. The replacement was the same. At the height of every shift, the sound distorts so bad. Customer service was great, but I was also told that I needed to shut my windows, leave the radio off and turn off the A/C. I'm NOT doing that just to get better sound. Besides, it's the engine noise on shifts that tweak the mic in the cam. I did get one sarcastic remak from them when they told me, "Don't expect the quality of a GoPro. It's only a dash cam." Ha! I do have it running in my car, but I dread having to look at the video it's taking and have to edit because it's annoying as hell. I'd suggest staying away from this cam just for audio reasons.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm currently using the Blackvue DR650S 2 channel with a Cellink Battery for parking mode. The Cellink battery plugs into the cars lighter socket and the dashcam plugs into the Cellink battery. I've been using this setup for almost a year and have been pleased.

Blackvue just came out with an newer model (DR750S-2CH) to replace the 650. It's supposed to have a higher quality video. I have the new one sitting on my desk at home and am hoping to get time this weekend to swap out the 650 with the new one.

I don't use the cloud service that is available for these units.
I'm kinda leaning towards the 650 2CH .............

I havent looked at it too closely yet, but wondering how you routed the wiring for the front and rear cam. Do you have any pictures ?

Also interested in learning more about the Cell Link battery - I want something that draws on the car battery when driving, but uses some sort of 'rechargeable battery' when in park mode.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I'm kinda leaning towards the 650 2CH .............

I havent looked at it too closely yet, but wondering how you routed the wiring for the front and rear cam. Do you have any pictures ?

Also interested in learning more about the Cell Link battery - I want something that draws on the car battery when driving, but uses some sort of 'rechargeable battery' when in park mode.
Everything is so flimsy in these new cars you can just work the wires under the trim pieces with your fingers you don't even need any tools in most cases.
I mounted the power magic pro power controller box in the trunk, wired to BAT and IGN and then extended the camera power wire to the front of the car to run the camera.
Yes it will alert you IF you have a hotspot/Internet service in your vehicle.
One hint on the DR650 - use the microSD card that comes with it or purchase a high temp/extreme conditions microSD card. Standard cards cannot take the heat in a closed car in the summer. I had no trouble with the supplied card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts