Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding a dash cam (Black Vue most likely) to my Challenger. I'm concerned about battery drain in parking mode (yes, I know about the Magic Pro option of managing this), so was thinking of using some sort of rechargable power bank that has a 12 v cigarette lighter-type attachment, that I can manually swap my dash cam power cord from the cig plug in the car's console over to the power bank when I am parked.

Would such a power bank be a suitable power source for parking mode ?

Any concerns about the high temperature in the car on a hot, summer day ?

Other considerations ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My car goes to the store, etc, or to my house - never weeks at airports, etc - so safe 99% of time.

So, I added a simple 2 way, 3 conductor switch that chooses between battery and ignition switched power.
I found both under the console.
I mounted it at my knee, in the cheapest piece of the console.

So, if for instance a cop says 'cut it off', nearby is the power select switch - goes to battery.

I also feed my USB charger off of the same selectable power - so I can leave my phone charging for the gym while I go to the store.

95% of the time it stays in ignition switched power.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
< running a Vantrue and could not be happier. Amazing lil cam with park mode. Mine came with a ODBII port power connector ( as well as normal plug). This runs the cam off the ODBII and will cut power to the cam if power level drops to low, knows when the car is in drive or park and immediately transitions accordingly, etc so less mess & worry all around.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Black Vue power manager would allow me to shut down if the car battery drops to 12.5 v (ie 90 % charge) or 12.0 v (approx 50 %).

Not sure I'd want to drop my battery by 10%, certainly not 50%, just by sitting in park mode ............. thats why I wanted to swap to a separate power bank when I park my car. Some of the power banks I've investigated have 'protection' that shuts off if no power is being consumed. Ive seen a few dash cam owners complain that the power bank shut down, so I assume a lack of cam activity results in this (but I'd think even in 'stand-by' mode, the cam would draw a little power - maybe not 'enough')

If anyone can comment on how much drain occurs on a typical, non-eventful day in park mode (I know this is subject to various interpretations), I'd be curious. Any kinda of general observations might help.

Part of me wonders .......... if this 'standard' power management is 'good enough', why are manufacturers like Black Vue providing power bank-type solutions ?

Thanks to everyone for helping educate me on this before I make a poor decision.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have the Blackvue DR900S 2 Channel. I use two Blackvue Power Magic Ultra (one is an expansion) which provides enough recording time for 24+ hours. You could either hardwire it or power it through the 12V in your car. When not in use you could switch it to off to conserve the battery when parked in the garage

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think the Black Vue power manager would allow me to shut down if the car battery drops to 12.5 v (ie 90 % charge) or 12.0 v (approx 50 %).

Not sure I'd want to drop my battery by 10%, certainly not 50%, just by sitting in park mode ............. thats why I wanted to swap to a separate power bank when I park my car. Some of the power banks I've investigated have 'protection' that shuts off if no power is being consumed. Ive seen a few dash cam owners complain that the power bank shut down, so I assume a lack of cam activity results in this (but I'd think even in 'stand-by' mode, the cam would draw a little power - maybe not 'enough')

If anyone can comment on how much drain occurs on a typical, non-eventful day in park mode (I know this is subject to various interpretations), I'd be curious. Any kinda of general observations might help.

Part of me wonders .......... if this 'standard' power management is 'good enough', why are manufacturers like Black Vue providing power bank-type solutions ?

Thanks to everyone for helping educate me on this before I make a poor decision.
The blackvue power magic ultra has a different type of battery than your typical power banks that are made for these changing temperatures in your car. It's been good so far

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The ODBII power supplied system is 100% foolproof that you wont come out to a dead batt, as the car/cam itself is monitoring power consumption. Its also super clean install.(all under the dash, nothing porking up the console power outlets)
Yes you will lose cam coverage if the batt power drops, but this is better than a no-start.
I left mine going intentionally for a week, (car not driven) in park mode in the garage to test it, triggering the 3 min. park mode capture a dozen times a day, and it never dropped off on me due to low volt. So I felt GTG, mine at least is not gobbling up power with abandon.
Hardwiring is certainly an option if your diligent and remember to power save mode if so equipped.
but... with even as little as 2-3 volts under operating & what seems to be a car design that is notoriously plagued by dead batt issues, a challenger can fall into no-start &/or limp mode if it does bump over.
With a hardwired system you run that risk of coming out to a dead batt. you nor the car would know to kill power to the cam and the cam would just continue to bleed the system down. I am admittedly, not personally familiar with the power bank types, just giving you info on what is currently working for me and why I choose it.
Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of my vehicles does not have a switched outlet for the lighter where that dash cam is plugged in so I have to turn it on and off manually. I have on several occasions forgotten to turn it off for days at a time since all of my other vehicles have keyed power sources. I have never had an issue with it draining the battery since these cameras draw so little power compared to all the other electronic loads already in your car. I have considered an automatic battery back up triggered by the key to switch the supply automatically so it can record while sitting but so far it has not been an issue. A simple relay and a separate small supply would do the trick.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Blackvue 4k 900s 2ch one and i bought the OBD2 - Power Magic EZ, easy install, and only downside is the little switches for the voltage cutoff and parking mode on/off are hard to reach if you want to change the settings, especially if you have thicker fingers and no nails lol. Other than that, i think this is the absolute best dashcam you can possibly buy so far and you wont be disappointed.

Anyway, my battery usually idles at 14.3 when the car is running and after being parked overnight its usually at 12 flat.
I have tested the parking mode in the following modes: 6hours/12.5 cutoff and 12hours/12, whichever criteria gets fulfilled first, and when i turn on the car in the morning's and put it into the ACC/RUN mode, i check the battery gauge and its usually at around 11.8, especially if it was running for 12hours/12. Ive also noticed that when set to the 12.5 combo, the camera stops recording before the 6hour mark. Now im not sure how far down it should be allowed or not allowed to go before the car decides not to turn on, but those are my results so far.

My battery is new also.

I live in a good arena where i dont need to have the parking mode on, so i usually just use it when parking at a mall/grocery store or when going to the cinema or stuff like that... No worries about the battery getting drained then.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the power draw in park mode is quite low ............. thats good.

One other reason I *think* I want a power bank is to eliminate the chance of interference (hum, static, etc) with the sound system - is interference going to be a problem with a non-power bank solution ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Blackvue 4k 900s 2ch one and i bought the OBD2 - Power Magic EZ, easy install, and only downside is the little switches for the voltage cutoff and parking mode on/off are hard to reach if you want to change the settings, especially if you have thicker fingers and no nails lol. Other than that, i think this is the absolute best dashcam you can possibly buy so far and you wont be disappointed.

Anyway, my battery usually idles at 14.3 when the car is running and after being parked overnight its usually at 12 flat.
I have tested the parking mode in the following modes: 6hours/12.5 cutoff and 12hours/12, whichever criteria gets fulfilled first, and when i turn on the car in the morning's and put it into the ACC/RUN mode, i check the battery gauge and its usually at around 11.8, especially if it was running for 12hours/12. Ive also noticed that when set to the 12.5 combo, the camera stops recording before the 6hour mark. Now im not sure how far down it should be allowed or not allowed to go before the car decides not to turn on, but those are my results so far.

My battery is new also.

I live in a good arena where i dont need to have the parking mode on, so i usually just use it when parking at a mall/grocery store or when going to the cinema or stuff like that... No worries about the battery getting drained then.
If I went this way, I was hoping I could be in park mode for about 9 hours and not draw down to 12.5 v while parking at work.

Just curious ............... when yours shuts off after 6 hours, how much activity is being recorded ? In my case, there will be plenty of cars driving by during the 9 hours while I am at work as people arrive in the morning and leave at night. I was hoping the 12.5 setting would cover me - perhaps not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I went this way, I was hoping I could be in park mode for about 9 hours and not draw down to 12.5 v while parking at work.

Just curious ............... when yours shuts off after 6 hours, how much activity is being recorded ? In my case, there will be plenty of cars driving by during the 9 hours while I am at work as people arrive in the morning and leave at night. I was hoping the 12.5 setting would cover me - perhaps not.
Well only way is to test it out, i highly doubt anything serious will happen to the battery after 9 hours in parking mode connected to the battery one time. - Give it a try and check your battery when you get back and switch the car on ACC/RUN.

There isnt much activity where i am, and i also tweaked the sensitivity / motion sensor to not catch everything like birds in the sky for example.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Davidmeyer

I'm thinking of adding a dash cam (Black Vue most likely) to my Challenger. I'm concerned about battery drain in parking mode (yes, I know about the Magic Pro option of managing this), so was thinking of using some sort of rechargable power bank that has a 12 v cigarette lighter-type attachment, that I can manually swap my dash cam power cord from the cig plug in the car's console over to the power bank when I am parked.

Would such a power bank be a suitable power source for parking mode ?

Any concerns about the high temperature in the car on a hot, summer day ?

Other considerations ?

Thanks.

I have a Blackvue DR750S 2CH hardwired through a Blackvue Power Magic Pro here are some of my observations.

1 Your battery will power the dash cam for over a week but may not have enough powers to start the car after five or six days, the longest I left my car with the Dashcam running (before I got the Power Magic Pro) and the car still started was four days.
2. After fitting the power Magic I set it to 12.5v this turned out to be too high a setting as the voltage would drop on the battery to below 12.5v after only a few hours, for some reason voltage on my car (and maybe Challengers in general) seems to hover around 12.1 - 12.3v after the surface charge has dissipated and this is with a two month old Bosch battery.
3 You will have to set the voltage on your Power Magic to 12v and even at this setting you may find your camera will turn off after not much more than a day, also even after ten or twelve hours when you open the doors the voltage drop caused by the courtesy lights ETC will make your dash cam turn off.
4 You will need to turn off the motion sensor as it is so sensitive it virtually causes the camera to permanently record when parked
5 You will be disappointed with the Blackvue's advertised WIFI connectivity, connection is quite intermittent and trying to download videos to your phone or PC is super slow when you do eventually get a connection, I park my Challenger about 10 feet from my router well within the 30 feet claimed WIFI range and connection is still hit or miss, as a dash cam though it is great recording very good video
6 You say you are parked at work for 9 hours, you will need a 128gb SD card to get 11 hours record time, unless you turn off motion detection and/or reduce the record resolution
6 Never get a problem in the U.K with excessive heat ;)

So to sum up, get a 128gb card set the Magic Pro to 12v, 48 hour run time, maybe turn motion detection off and never worry about a flat battery.

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Davidmeyer

I have a Blackvue DR750S 2CH hardwired through a Blackvue Power Magic Pro here are some of my observations.

1 Your battery will power the dash cam for over a week but may not have enough powers to start the car after five or six days, the longest I left my car with the Dashcam running (before I got the Power Magic Pro) and the car still started was four days.
2. After fitting the power Magic I set it to 12.5v this turned out to be too high a setting as the voltage would drop on the battery to below 12.5v after only a few hours, for some reason voltage on my car (and maybe Challengers in general) seems to hover around 12.1 - 12.3v after the surface charge has dissipated and this is with a two month old Bosch battery.
3 You will have to set the voltage on your Power Magic to 12v and even at this setting you may find your camera will turn off after not much more than a day, also even after ten or twelve hours when you open the doors the voltage drop caused by the courtesy lights ETC will make your dash cam turn off.
4 You will need to turn off the motion sensor as it is so sensitive it virtually causes the camera to permanently record when parked
5 You will be disappointed with the Blackvue's advertised WIFI connectivity, connection is quite intermittent and trying to download videos to your phone or PC is super slow when you do eventually get a connection, I park my Challenger about 10 feet from my router well within the 30 feet claimed WIFI range and connection is still hit or miss, as a dash cam though it is great recording very good video
6 You say you are parked at work for 9 hours, you will need a 128gb SD card to get 11 hours record time, unless you turn off motion detection and/or reduce the record resolution
6 Never get a problem in the U.K with excessive heat ;)

So to sum up, get a 128gb card set the Magic Pro to 12v, 48 hour run time, maybe turn motion detection off and never worry about a flat battery.

Regards

Dereck
All great points, but i must disagree with the 128gb card, i find the 64 plenty enough, so far never ran out of space, as the camera just overwrites old files and only keeps the important "event" files.
And also, if you so want, you can go to options and make the camera also overwrite event files, but i would recommend you just limit what the camera recognizes as "events" so that it doesnt fill your card with such files in the first place -

I just recommend a smaller card cause these cards are a bit pricey (you cannot use any other card other than the blackvue ones successfully) and when they fail (and they will in time) its better to lose a 32 or 64gb than a 128gb card.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed a Thinkware F800 Pro with rear camera. It has its own low voltage power management that I can also control via the app. The way I have it installed is using a dual fuse tap in the trunk.

When I store it in the winter, as a safety precaution I pull the fuse to it so it doesn’t continue powering it while it’s sitting there.

I don’t know about Blackviews install, but I’m sure you could set it up this way too. Just a precaution, you may need to buy some more wire as mine was about 2 feet too short from the fuse box.

Mine also has 64 GB which has been plenty of storage and overwrites older files. Most likely you’d have the same capabilities of locking a video if something happens.

I need to start a YouTube channel on the amount of bad drivers and the few accidents I have recorded. One happened to me, and thanks to the dash cam as it proved the other party was at fault.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Pentacro

(you cannot use any other card other than the blackvue ones successfully)
You can use non Blackvue SD cards I currently have a Samsung card in my Blackvue.

One tip about fitting your dash cam set up is there is enough wiring to have the Power Magic Pro in the trunk (mine is stuck to the side of my Harmon Kardon bass speaker next to the battery) and the dash cam stuck to the windshield behind the rear view mirror obviously. If you run the dash cam power wire down the right side A pillar, behind the kick panel and then under the carpet it will reach to the rear passengers foot well, your Power Magic output will then reach from the trunk with a little to spare, I then connected the Power Magic to the fuse board and Battery,

Regards

Dereck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts