Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I was considering installing a 2 camera dash cam on my vehicle. The installer that installed my Viper alarm suggested the Blackvue 750S 2 Channel. There's going to be a newer DR900S with 4k quality. Do you think it's worth it to get the 4k? https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

The cost for the hardwire and product installation for the 750S 2 Channel with the PowerMagic Pro https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/ is $549. What do you guys think? Is it worth the price? Should I wait to get the 4k?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would suggest a Grdan dash cam. It records really well and the price is much cheaper than the $549 mentioned above, and you can install it yourself.

Link: http://www.grdian.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't really care about the BlackVue cameras since I don't really need the cloud features, plus the price is pretty steep on those. So, after researching the market, I got a Viofo A119s v2 (about $110 on Amazon) for my wife's car, and it ended up being a pretty decent camera, with pretty decent video quality :)

For my Challenger though I ordered the Street Guardian SGGCX ($189 on Amazon), which is the successor to a highly popular sg9665gc model, this one is arriving tomorrow, so hopefully will have some spare time to install it over the weekend :)

Now, both of these are front facing only, but Street Guardian has another model with dual cameras, which is also very highly rated: sg9663dc

You can find reviews on those at dashcamtalk, I, apparently, don't have enough posts to be able to provide the links :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Look into the Thinkware F800 dash cam. I am embarrassed to admit I don't know if it is 4k or something else. (FWIW, I just remembered I have the unopened box in my office: 1080P sony Exmar R STARVUS Image Sensor with Super WDR at 30fps.)

About a month ago I paid $300 for the front view camera and installed it my Hellcat. I liked the camera so much I bought a 2nd one -- for $273 (a bit of a price drop! -- for my Mini JCW.

It does look like to get video from the camera to say an iPad or possibly a smart phone (running the Thinkware application) one either has to go through the ThinkWare "cloud" -- I have not set this up yet -- or just remove the chip from the camera and read the videos off the chip.

For more info, here's a link:

F800 | THINKWARE

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I have these cameras in front and rear of mine and my wife’s cars. They are hard wired and turn on and off with the ignition. I’m a big fan of the mount since there’s no suction cups and they fit flush up against the glass. I’ve been using cameras for 4 years and there’s normally no reason to ever have to mess with them. They simply record all the time. If there’s ever an incident that I want to look at, or keep, I simply slip the cam off the slide mount or pop the card out and hook up to a computer. These low priced cameras record very clear, wide angle video and I’m not about to spend big bucks on dash cams that do the same thing as these do.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Capacitor-GPS-Stealth/dp/B00TXR2P40/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524115226&sr=1-20&keywords=Black+box+cam

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm currently running 2 seperate Vantrue X3's, one shooting out the front and one out of the rear. They're capable of 2.5k res at 30FPS but I just keep them on 1080P @ 60FPS. They're pretty good for the cost.

They're currently $159.99 on amazon but promo code 46YAVGUB will bring them down to $109.99

$220 for dual dash cams that are capable of 2.5k @ 30FPS or 1080P @ 60FPS. Can't go wrong

Hope this helps

PS. They also have Parking Mode with motion detection

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
What you will find with 4k is that the footage will take up much more space so you wont be able to store as much. 4k is over 4x the resolution of 1080p and really has no dicernable difference in this applicstion imo. Ide save some money and go with the 1080p route

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pre-ordered the Blackvue DR900S

What you will find with 4k is that the footage will take up much more space so you wont be able to store as much. 4k is over 4x the resolution of 1080p and really has no dicernable difference in this applicstion imo. Ide save some money and go with the 1080p route
I ended up pre-ordering the Blackvue DR900S. Total with some filter accessories and tampering lock was about 545. Labor to install it is 80. https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/ I don't know if I made a mistake. It was attractive because it is 4k and hopefully it will pick up license plates better. I'm not sure if there are any other well known brands with 4k at the moment. It touts that it is 4 times the resolution with the same recording time because of their compression technology. I also bought a 128GB mini SD card. The only negative thing is that it is 30FPS for some reason. I'll update on the quality once I get a chance to use it.

Resolution/Frame Rate <Front — Rear>
4K UHD (3840×2160) @30fps (Extreme) — Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps

4K UHD (3840×2160) @30fps — Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps

Full HD (1920×1080) @60fps — Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps

Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps — Full HD (1920×1080) @30fps

* Frame rate may vary during Wi-Fi streaming.

It is 60FPS for the FHD, but that's not 4K resolution.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is an example of some of the stuff you capture on a dash cam. It's great to be able to have proof of facts if you get involved in a wreck, etc.

I'm testing a link here, so it might not work.

Minding my own business and a truck pulls out in front of me and the driver had his cellphone up to his ear. He also blew his own horn at me.

https://cvws.icloud-content.com/B/ARauO6mjseFH69jegVutDMZ2w09GAYUVWBelKZKyrMfLFQX5tKqnr6DI/Truck+incident.mov?o=Anpa15O3Ws5LRyUJyp5SqDkDcRAMk0541DY7UxgImpcM&v=1&x=3&a=B89Ec3KelhbqERnB6wfNS7crX1E4A-rgQgEAAAPb4EI&e=1525281226&k=1pEAjxQ-_itNtKI7o-5eNg&fl=&r=d8b84da7-8e18-49f6-ae7a-5ebc06ec6878-1&ckc=com.apple.clouddocs&ckz=com.apple.CloudDocs&p=65&s=xLRfzN_FaCTpbn_uVSjCDwc2oy4&cd=i
The link doesn't work, but i'm sure it's always better to have one if not two dash cams than to not have any at all. The only time that it might be bad is if the dash cam tempts people to break into the car out of the view from the camera to take the dash cam itself

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
The link doesn't work, but i'm sure it's always better to have one if not two dash cams than to not have any at all. The only time that it might be bad is if the dash cam tempts people to break into the car out of the view from the camera to take the dash cam itself
Dang it. Video link worked when I tested it and then it stopped. I've deleted it.

You're right. Having anything attached to the windshield is an invitation to breaking the window. That's why I have cameras that are pretty discreet. The car is parked in a closed garage and, when I'm out and about, it's not unattended for very long periods.
However, I would never be shocked to find a window smashed out to steal a camera. I'd be really aggravated, but it's to be expected.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang it. Video link worked when I tested it and then it stopped. I've deleted it.

You're right. Having anything attached to the windshield is an invitation to breaking the window. That's why I have cameras that are pretty discreet. The car is parked in a closed garage and, when I'm out and about, it's not unattended for very long periods.
However, I would never be shocked to find a window smashed out to steal a camera. I'd be really aggravated, but it's to be expected.
I also don't often leave the car unattended in sketchy areas for long. I have a Viper alarm with a shock sensor with a flashing blue light visible at night to let people know it's protected. I didn't put the Viper sticker, but i'd think those who know will know it's an alarm system. Hopefully the alarm system and dash cam will deter them as it will get pretty loud if they shatter the window.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts