Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Bright White Scat Pack M6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get opinions from those who have a dash camera. Do these fall in the "you get what you pay for" category. On the way in to work this morning I had two people almost pull over on top of me. Never had this happen so much until I got my Scat so I'm assuming being so much lower to the ground, and people just being total idiots, this will probably continue to happen.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts

Reactions: brasher503

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
304 Posts
Not knocking that thread good info but have things not improved since 2017?

Surely others have personal experience with newer equipment as well to share?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,209 Posts
Wanted to get opinions from those who have a dash camera. Do these fall in the "you get what you pay for" category. On the way in to work this morning I had two people almost pull over on top of me. Never had this happen so much until I got my Scat so I'm assuming being so much lower to the ground, and people just being total idiots, this will probably continue to happen.
Your Scat is not that low. Out last night in my M-B van. Had two vehicles turn left in front of me. The van is not a low vehicle by any stretch. Some drivers are just idiots.

My limited experience with dash cams is with a Thinkware model. F800 I think. Co-worker had one installed in his MINI S. He got the front and rear dash cams installed and I think they are wired directly the 12V power so are on all the time.

However, the Thinkware cams have a battery saver feature that you can set that if the car battery power gets below a set threshold the camera powers completely down. The camera is not in full power mode but in I think it is called "sentinel" mode which is a low power mode to begin with.

So based on my co-worker's input I bought and installed a Thinkware F800 front facing camera in my Hellcat. I do not have it wired directly to power. So the camera is off when the car is locked.

Have another Thinkware F800 camera that I was going to install in my MINI (JCW) but I never got around to it then I sold the MINI before leaving CA.

Now I have a new M-B van and at some point I want to install the Thinkware dash cam in it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Never had this happen so much until I got my Scat so I'm assuming being so much lower to the ground, and people just being total idiots, this will probably continue to happen.
A scat is far from low. Try a Toyota 86. Lower to the ground and smaller. Quite a few times in the year I owned it, I was nearly run off the road.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,795 Posts
Not too long ago I installed a front/rear dash cam (thread below). The camera system is very affordable and has OK resolution but you can always buy more expensive units.

The one I bought works for my needs. You can't connect to it with your phone which is fine by me but what I like about it is it's small, seems to hold up to heat and does not drain my battery after the car has not been driven for a couple of weeks.

Here is a vid of a arse who crossed into my turn lane

Vid from the rear camera

Time lapse from the front camera

Note the vid quality is better than what was encoded on vimeo. Also works with open source dashcam software (i.e. shows gps, front/rear videos, audio and vehicle speed).

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
Interesting that this thread popped up because I have a new dash cam arriving today. I have a Cobra camera right now, and I just ordered a new Cobra dash cam because because it is a dual camera that will also record the interior of my vehicle. My old one only shows what is in front of me, and I may even order another Cobra designed for the rear window. They are very simple to use and high definition.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A scat is far from low. Try a Toyota 86. Lower to the ground and smaller. Quite a few times in the year I owned it, I was nearly run off the road.
Low as in lower than all of the other vehicles I have driven. Definitely lower than most other cars driving around today. I’m coming from a wrangler and a ram so it’s definitely taken some getting used too.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Too bad you can't tap a recorder into the existing backup camera easily, hmm, idea!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not too long ago I installed a front/rear dash cam (thread below). The camera system is very affordable and has OK resolution but you can always buy more expensive units.

The one I bought works for my needs. You can't connect to it with your phone which is fine by me but what I like about it is it's small, seems to hold up to heat and does not drain my battery after the car has not been driven for a couple of weeks.

Here is a vid of a arse who crossed into my turn lane

Vid from the rear camera

Time lapse from the front camera

Note the vid quality is better than what was encoded on vimeo. Also works with open source dashcam software (i.e. shows gps, front/rear videos, audio and vehicle speed).
Wow those are great quality! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Definitely lower than most other cars driving around today. I’m coming from a wrangler and a ram so it’s definitely taken some getting used too.
Definitely not lower than most out there, from what I've seen. Comparing car for car, not truck or suv for car. Maybe after you add a lowering kit. I also came from a Wrangler as well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Too bad you can't tap a recorder into the existing backup camera easily, hmm, idea!
I wish manufactures would have it built in, like an attachment accessory. I bought a camera (years ago for another car), and never used it because I don't like the cord gets in the way. All cars have rear cameras, and some cars are starting to have one at front too. Perhaps car stereo shops can hook an aftermarket recorder built in. I would buy (pay) for this device and installation.

ABS came from airplanes. Airplanes have a flight recorder. Why not have it on cars. It would make accident/insurance investigation much easier, at fault or not.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,795 Posts
I wish manufactures would have it built in, like an attachment accessory. I bought a camera (years ago for another car), and never used it because I don't like the cord gets in the way. All cars have rear cameras, and some cars are starting to have one at front too. Perhaps car stereo shops can hook an aftermarket recorder built in. I would buy (pay) for this device and installation.

ABS came from airplanes. Airplanes have a flight recorder. Why not have it on cars. It would make accident/insurance investigation much easier, at fault or not.
Actually the PCM does keep a record of parameters just before an accident....so it is kinda like a black box found on an airplane.

·
Premium Member
10,367 Posts
My bright yellow car gets cut off, it’s like driving the sun. These same as s hats would cut off a moving van. I also own a 2500 pickup and a Wrangler on 37’s as well and I’m invisible to them too. One day a woman made one of those STUPID moves when my son had the Jeep out and he creamed her, that front plate steel bumper absolutely destroyed her car and the Jeep did extremely well and he wasn’t hurt.
The camera is a good idea but the idiots just don’t care.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
455 Posts
The one @ChallyTatum bought seems to be completely sold out online that I could find. If anyone does find it let me know.
Edit: Found a few from different brands on Ebay

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got a Nextbase 412 dashcam - quite an old model now. I swop it around several different cars - the Challenger, a Lancia integrale, Peugeot 106, a Dutton kit-car used for off-road trials, and a Caterham 7. It works very well, very reliable, as long as you remember to format the memory card every week - it continually over-writes, but can have issues if you leave it too long.

I had a guy turn right into me in the Caterham at 7am on the way to work - by 9.30am the same day, his insurers had accepted liability, agreed with my chosen place of repair, and organised a rental car for me - turned out to be £14000 of total claim. Without the camera, I don't think it would have been settled that fast.

I'm in the UK, but it appears they are sold through BestBuy in the USA - so maybe not the cheapest. eg Currently the 522GW camera is available direct form them in the UK at £140 . . . BestBuy is $260 !!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
The one @ChallyTatum bought seems to be completely sold out online that I could find. If anyone does find it let me know.
Edit: Found a few from different brands on Ebay

A Guy

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I like the blackvue dr900s 2 channel. I have it hardwired. on parking mode with my two hardwired external batteries I got over 50+ hours of recording, in time lapse mode but it will record if there is impact and switched to just the front camera. Otherwise it last maybe 30+ hours on UHD normal recording front and rear. I think it's not the best dashcam but I think connectivity wise it's one of the better ones. I like to monitor my car with the app

1 - 20 of 22 Posts