Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger SE. The dash, right above the middle a/c vents is starting to detach. Is there a recommended adhesive that would be good to use to correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,020 Posts
When my Fiero dash started to lift, I used Gorilla glue and camps. Still have the car (not in driving condition) and the dash is still holding together.

Although some have suggested loctite glue for plastics (primer and glue system) as it bonds instantly but never tried it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When my Fiero dash started to lift, I used Gorilla glue and camps. Still have the car (not in driving condition) and the dash is still holding together.

Although some have suggested loctite flue for plastics (primer and glue system) as it bonds instantly but never tried it.
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
8,001 Posts
I have used regular super glue in the past, and while it worked, I would stop short of recommending it due to its propensity to run off into places you didn't intend for it to go. A gel version of super glue, which I believe the previously referenced Gorilla Glue might be an example of, would be a great fix for this problem though. That is something I would recommend for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Although some have suggested loctite glue for plastics (primer and glue system) as it bonds instantly but never tried it.
Ah, the 80's... I remember in 88 I wanted a Fiero so bad.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,020 Posts
Ah, the 80's... I remember in 88 I wanted a Fiero so bad.
I bought it in the early 90s for $400 (85 SE 4 speed). Blew the motor, bought a rebuilt motor, slapped a turbo on it and dropped it 1.5". If there was loose change on the road it would bottom out. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
I bought it in the early 90s for $400 (85 SE 4 speed). Blew the motor, bought a rebuilt motor, slapped a turbo on it and dropped it 1.5". If there was loose change on the road it would bottom out. :grin2:
ATTN Aspiring Linguists: This is a perfect example of the difference between 'literally' and 'figuratively', 2 terms which I hear y'all misusing with frightening regularity.

When @ChallyTatum blew up the motor in his $400 Pontiac Fiero, he figuratively bottomed out. But the resulting Frankenstein of an automobile, with its extreme lowered stance, was prone to literally bottoming out.

Both involve hitting bottom, but only one actually has a bottom and hits it (aka, literally). The other describes reaching the lowest point of the context possible and is more esoteric in nature (aka, figuratively).

Know the difference, learn the difference, use the terms correctly. Your readers will thank you for it!

Nuke, OUT!

(oh yeah, and special thanks to @ChallyTatum for providing this exquisite example for us to use in our lesson!)

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I remember back in the day, a friend of mine bought an '84 Fiero.

I just remember thinking, this is a mid-engine car. How painful is it going to be to work on it?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,020 Posts
I remember back in the day, a friend of mine bought an '84 Fiero.

I just remember thinking, this is a mid-engine car. How painful is it going to be to work on it?
Any major engine work usually required removal of the rear cradle (remove wheels, hang the caliper, disconnect fuel, disconnect rad hoses, disconnect electrical connections). Basically the engine, with complete exhaust and trans slides out.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
a shoe repair guy gave me a tube of shoe goo (that’s the correct spelling)they sell it at CVS drug and it’s works so well I’m gonna use it to put my tredwear letters on my tires.i have a heel lift on every pair of shoes for the last 30 years and on my work boots the have come apart and I’ve used gorilla glue,super glue ect and this stuff is unbelievable tube is red and it’s about 10 bucks give it a try

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
please, please, PUHLEEEAZE tell me that photo is NOT a photoshop or otherwise retouched?!?!?

Remember this lessen kids...otherwise you won't make the grade.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,020 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mine came unglued just last week, I went with some contact cement, and used a clamp and a piece of wood to keep from marking dash. So far so good and temps have been anywhere from 60s at night to mid 90s and sunny during the day...also learned that most of the tabs are broken off my vents before I even tried to remove them.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Mine came unglued just last week, I went with some contact cement, and used a clamp and a piece of wood to keep from marking dash. So far so good and temps have been anywhere from 60s at night to mid 90s and sunny during the day...also learned that most of the tabs are broken off my vents before I even tried to remove them.
If you can find those broken tabs (check floorboards around and under floor mats), you can reattach them to the vents to restore the vents' ability to hold onto the dash and not tend to fall out at the slightest bump. I think I have a thread on here somewhere where I detailed several attempts at reattaching those clips, and AFAIK it was the 3rd attempt at gluing them back on that worked but only after finding the right something to put underneath each clip to prevent it from bending in too far but have just enough give to allow re-installation of the vent into the dash.

I'll see if I can find that thread later and link to it here for anyone that wants to try something similar to repair their vents (buying replacements is surprisingly expensive it turns out).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts