Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys new here to this never joined a forum before and never started a discussion or (thread)? But here goes I’m curious as to if I am the only person who owns a Challenger R/T who is having a lot of issues with the dash lifting and cracking. As well as with the factory paint. I purchased the 2011 R/T Toxic Orange vehicle used about a year and a half ago and it seemed to be in good condition. The dealership did mention they replaced the decal kit except for the roof stripes. So now the area where the stripes used to be is now deteriorating sort of turning ashy and flaking off. I do not use harsh soaps or detergents or waxes to wash the car and even had it covered on very hot days in the summer (California Central Valley upwards of 100degrees). I also use a dash windshield cover and still have issues with the dash lifting and now cracking around the airbags. It sucks because now the money I was going to use for mods may end up having to go to get these issues fixed. I really would like to know if I just am alone in this or if there are others who have dealt with this if the car was newer I would call Dodge and complain but seeing as it’s a 2011 I don’t think it would do me any good. Any input or sympathy welcome... haha

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,928 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) The only common dash issue I have seen is lifting above the vents

Even that is not that common. The paint issue is hard to say without quality pictures. Did the area look fine when you bought it, and only deteriorated later? How the dealer prepped, applied, etc. is unknown. It may just be as simple as clay barring the paint, or as difficult as correcting and polishing. If it is surface, it can be fixed, if it goes below the clear coat it means repainting. Post up some quality pictures, and perhaps our members can assist

A Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey A Guy,
Well when I purchased the vehicle the paint looked fine actually it seemed almost unnoticeably darker and smoother where the decals had been. Almost like a reverse tan line, but as I say almost unrecognizable unless very close and under sunlight. But then it went the opposite and the area started to look opaque and then spotty and now the clear coat is most definitely coming off. I probably shouldn’t have but I purchased some vinyl decal strips to place over the area again to keep the paint from further peeling. I actually have scheduled to have a local paint shop take a look at it and give me a quote this week. I will most likely have to remove the vinyl at that time and I will snap a couple pictures and post them. As for the dash I have heard of more ppl having issues with the dash lifting and separating from the vents but mine seems to have small areas lifting or bubbling throughout not just at the vents which I have tried to fix before. I will post some good pics of this as well. Thanks for the welcome and the reply.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can you post pics? My dash is lifting above the vents and by the front speakers as well. My dads is also lifting on the vents. Both 2011 rt classics . He actually has toxic orange as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post pics? My dash is lifting above the vents and by the front speakers as well. My dads is also lifting on the vents. Both 2011 rt classics . He actually has toxic orange as well
Hey I was able to post some pics not great no sun out today so I took it in my garage I know it’s a bit hard to see. I will add better pics when the sun is out and I can take them outdoors. These are by the way a year after (fixing) the lifting a bit around the vents. Also Idk if I stated but I use a windshield shade and last year almost all summer I I kept it inside or under a car cover except for a handful of times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts