Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got a good fix for when the gel in the back of the guage cluster starts to go out please? Are there kits available off ebay or amazon?
I'm over in the UK so have no dealer support or spare parts yards to get bits from.
Would really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
HI Lucas Fisher80

From my research on this problem a couple years ago found here in the U.K you are pretty much shafted by Chrysler. It would appear the only fix is a new instrument cluster, it would have been too easy to make the electroluminescent back lighting strip available separately, I also pretty much expect you have to programme the cluster to the car and good luck finding some one in the U.K that can/will do that, my investigations draw a blank when I looked into that.

There are now actually a couple of official Dodge dealers here in the U.K so maybe you could calling David Boatwright or Clive Sutton and let us know how you get on,

I did an economy repair for the guy that came into the shop by sticking some LEDs around the inside of his cluster just so he could get his IVA certificate

It actually worked surprisingly well, in the last picture you can see the remains of his original panel illumination

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,415 Posts
Mine's on the 7th cluster. Luckily it's only cost me a one time $100 warranty deductible.

Reactions: Lucas Fisher80

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI Lucas Fisher80

From my research on this problem a couple years ago found here in the U.K you are pretty much shafted by Chrysler. It would appear the only fix is a new instrument cluster, it would have been too easy to make the electroluminescent back lighting strip available separately, I also pretty much expect you have to programme the cluster to the car and good luck finding some one in the U.K that can/will do that, my investigations draw a blank when I looked into that.

There are now actually a couple of official Dodge dealers here in the U.K so maybe you could calling David Boatwright or Clive Sutton and let us know how you get on,

I did an economy repair for the guy that came into the shop by sticking some LEDs around the inside of his cluster just so he could get his IVA certificate

It actually worked surprisingly well, in the last picture you can see the remains of his original panel illumination

Regards

Dereck
Yep that's pretty much what I thought about being in the UK. I must remember to move to America.
That doesn't look bad though with the LEDs that you put in there. The IVA guys let it through without any hassle too did they?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Lucas Fisher80

I didn't take the car for an IVA the owner did and he walked away with a certificate so it must have met with their approval, I wired them into the regular panel illumination and they even dimmed using the panel dimmer :)

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Lucas Fisher80

I didn't take the car for an IVA the owner did and he walked away with a certificate so it must have met with their approval, I wired them into the regular panel illumination and they even dimmed using the panel dimmer :)

Regards

Dereck
Mint thanks.
I don't suppose you remember what wires you connected them to do you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Lucas Fisher 80

Mint thanks.
I don't suppose you remember what wires you connected them to do you?
Nope I do not remember but I do have some wiring diagrams for various year Challengers I could see if I can look it up for you if you give the year of your car

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
FYI you can also find wiring diagrams off the Roswell online chilton site.

Click on Chilton Library. Then click on the ChiltonLibrary.com link on the right hand side.

City = Roswell
Zipcode = 88203

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Lucas Fisher80

There are three connectors on the instrument cluster, use the Orange/Grey wire on pin 11 of the white connector this is the panel lights power, use either of the three Black/Tan wires on the light grey connector for a ground. I do not know what the maximum power output from the cluster for the panel lights is so I only recommend using some LED's to illuminate your display.

Regards

Dereck

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts

Go to the Chilton Repair Manuals site> Vehicle Selector> 2012 Doge Challenger> Select

Data is available for the following: Choose Repair

In the Search box type Wiring Diagrams> Section Titles: Wiring Diagrams

Wiring Diagrams
> Components> Module> Cluster C1, Cluster C3 Per info from Dereck

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
FYI you can also find wiring diagrams off the Roswell online chilton site.

Click on Chilton Library. Then click on the ChiltonLibrary.com link on the right hand side.

City = Roswell
Zipcode = 88203
Looks like the Chilton link is blocked. Thought it was because my location privacy setting in windows 10 and browser settings but even clearing them and turning it off gives me forbidden access.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts
The one I linked to above is still working

A Guy

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts
Stickies, yes. Yeah, I bookmarked the Chilton link first thing. Handy for those posts you want to refer to often. A Guy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts