Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is embarrassing. :ugh:

I had severe allergies last year and despite my best attempts to turn my head on time, I ended up spraying it all over my steering wheel and the plastic protecting the EVIC/Spedo. I've tried cleaning it with alcohol, simplygreen, detail spray, nothing gets it to come off. I'm afraid my saliva might have etched the plastic's finish.

It's not very visible, but it's a constant reminder that I was unable to cover my mouth or turn away fast enough.

Does anyone know if there is any way to fix it, if not, how difficult is that piece to replace?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
634 Posts
Meguiars makes plastic cleaner and polish. I have used it to bring severely oxidized boat instrument cluster plastic back to very close to new condition. Having used a natural substance to clean the plastic you may only need the polish.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Meguiars makes plastic cleaner and polish. I have used it to bring severely oxidized boat instrument cluster plastic back to very close to new condition. Having used a natural substance to clean the plastic you may only need the polish.
+ on the Meguiars - I used this to polish the IP cluster lens on my '09 R/T when I had some flash-over when spray painting the white bezel (part of the cluster lens) in black when I was changing the gauge faces.

You want to use a soft polishing cloth and make several passes, stopping to check the results.

PS: it might be easier if you remove the dash bezel - work it off evenly as this piece is aluminum and you don't want to bend it. Those clips can be pretty tight since its been installed and not pulled since it was assembled.
Using trim sticks and working around it in stages to coax it out is the way to do it (and not crush the dash pad going this).

That way, you can polish the lens w/o concern of getting any polish into the crevice and then having to try and clean that up...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+ on the Meguiars - I used this to polish the IP cluster lens on my '09 R/T when I had some flash-over when spray painting the white bezel (part of the cluster lens) in black when I was changing the gauge faces.

You want to use a soft polishing cloth and make several passes, stopping to check the results.

PS: it might be easier if you remove the dash bezel - work it off evenly as this piece is aluminum and you don't want to bend it. Those clips can be pretty tight since its been installed and not pulled since it was assembled.
Using trim sticks and working around it in stages to coax it out is the way to do it (and not crush the dash pad going this).

That way, you can polish the lens w/o concern of getting any polish into the crevice and then having to try and clean that up...
Thanks guys!

Thankfully the damage is closer to the center and only in a few spots.

I'll only consider disassembly as a last resort.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
634 Posts

I agree with everything Hal said. It would be very difficult to polish the panel in place. Most of all take your time, have patience, and monitor progress closely. It may several applications depending on how badly the plastic was etched and the result you want.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I'm just glad you didn't try Acetone to clean it. It melts plastic slightly, and you would be left looking at a haze after you were done.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just glad you didn't try Acetone to clean it. It melts plastic slightly, and you would be left looking at a haze after you were done.
Nah, I tried the weakest stuff first and if since that didn't work I resorted to asking here before I tried anything stronger.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
634 Posts
Asking before you do something stupid?????? I need to learn how to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts