Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace my dash speakers on my 2013 with kenwood kfc-x3c speakers. I replaced once side and wanted to do a left to right comparison and the stock speaker had much fuller audio. I tried the kenwood with the supplied bass filter and no filter and it didn't make a difference the vocals were not there. Am I missing something? I have a 6 speaker Boston Acoustics and wanted to do the dash today before I do the doors and rears this weekend.

I ended up putting the stock speaker back in. To top it off I lost some clips in the dash for the defrost cover.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,003 Posts
It’s a 50w RMS speaker @ 4 ohm, but your factory amp isn’t pushing that much. Replacing both and then giving them some volume should help, but amping them with an aftermarket amp would be the best approach.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to avoid going to an aftermarket amp if at all possible. I was just looking to ditch the paper speakers for some nicer onces.

What if I went with some JBL Club 3020 it's 3 ohm at 20w RMS.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,003 Posts
I would give those Kenwoods another chance before ditching them. Install all the replacement speakers and judge how those Kenwoods sound once everything is in place and broken in. Testing one with the stock speakers seems like an unfair test for the kenwoods

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm trying to avoid going to an aftermarket amp if at all possible. I was just looking to ditch the paper speakers for some nicer onces.

What if I went with some JBL Club 3020 it's 3 ohm at 20w RMS.

I'd imagine the factory radio/amp is configured internally via eq and x-over to sound best with the stock speakers. Sometimes decent aftermarket speakers on a stock radio/amp will sound worse than the cheapo stock speakers. Also, I'd imagine the stock speakers are much more efficient.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Besides the fact that the stock amp is EQ'd for the stock speakers, you have to remember that a) they Kenwoods have a tweeter - so you'll need to reduce the treble slider in the radio since the stock EQ has the treble boosted to account for the lack of a tweeter with the stock speaker and b) you need to make sure that the kenwoods are wired with the correct polarity. If I remember correctly, the speaker adapters that Crutchfield gives you cause the speakers polarity to be reversed. I had issues "de-pinning" the adapters, so I just cut the wires on the adapters and swapped them in order to get the speakers wired with the correct polarity.

I documented all of this in my Alpine 6-speaker amplified system upgrade thread - I'd check there to make sure I'm remembering correctly about the dash speakers being wired incorrectly with the speaker wire adapters that Crutchfield supplied. I'm pretty sure that is the case, but I would search that thread to make sure. There were also some door speaker adapters caused the door speakers to be wired with reverse polarity as well (there are two different models of speaker wire adapters that can be used for the door speakers - which one you use determines if they are wired correctly or not). Again, the info is all in that thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.